Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Found the stereo!!

Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #21
g34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shedg34rh34d is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Avionics
g34rh34d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brackish View Post
You kinda have to add where you are coming from when you ask for an opinion around here. In this case are you a true audiophile for whom sound is all important or are you like me looking for decent sound, features, reasonable longevity for a very reasonable price. The Jensen VX 7020 fits that need.

I'm finished my install, (almost) and I'm very happy. Thanks to all who came before me on this forum for all the info I needed for the install. In particular, thanks for the heads up on getting rid of the speed warning, I would have looked for a while to find that. Lots of details like the how to get into various panels, the infamous reverse wire kick panel location, how to feed the video signal wire from the rear camera, into the cab and on to the HU, that pesky dimmer/illumination wire issue and the grounding methods for the pink brake wire all covered here.

This is a great unit FOR THE PRICE. I got it, in order of importance, for back up camera capability, blue tooth hands free capability for phone use, in dash navigation, auxiliary source music input capability and lastly, decent sound quality. The install went great, and unlike some complaints I've heard, my aftermarket dash kit fit tightly with no rattles and looks great.

I say I'm almost finished because I have not yet been able to get the SWC up. The Jensen unit has an onboard interface, however, the permutations and combinations of wiring options along with the need to manually program each one to see if that's it, left me frustrated. I may skip the Jensen interface and just get an aftermarket self programming interface. It seems that's what most folks have done anyway even on units costing three times the Jensen.

Additionally, my camera (not a Jensen item) was unfortunately assembled upside down, so I have a crystal clear upside down image. Thought it would be a matter of turning it over, but no, it cannot be done because the wiring chase is fixed with an outlet that would send the wiring down in front of the license plate If that were done. So I'll be done when the replacement comes.

I have a Jensen Marine unit on my sailboat. Same selection theory and in this case didn't want to put a high priced electronic device in a marine environment. It is still going strong five years later.
Glad to hear you got it all installed! I may go back and add the dimmer connection to mine at some point soon. I suppose a good place to attach the connection would be off of the hvac lighting connections with a quick disconnect tap and spade connector to that wire.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:27 AM   #22
brackish is on a distinguished road
Name: frank
brackish's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by g34rh34d View Post
Glad to hear you got it all installed! I may go back and add the dimmer connection to mine at some point soon. I suppose a good place to attach the connection would be off of the hvac lighting connections with a quick disconnect tap and spade connector to that wire.
Orange on the HU connector to Orange/White on the Metra connector will get you there. It gives you a night vision dim when you turn your lights on. That Orange/White Metra connects to Green on the factory harness plug and I checked for voltage lights on and no voltage lights off before I hooked up. The docs you gave me will show you the pin position. You just don't want to hook it up directly to the dimmer rheostat circuit that can blow the rheostat.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #23
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Talk about jacking someones thread.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM   #24
brackish is on a distinguished road
Name: frank
brackish's Tacoma Gallery
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Talk about jacking someones thread.
Hey the "Kill it with fire" crowd ran the OP off about six posts ago. I just hope he stayed around long enough to get a couple of opposing opinions and a little flavor for actually installing a Jensen. Sounds to me like what he wanted was just what he needed. But opinions will always vary............