1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Found the stereo!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Cray, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Jun 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    Cray

Cray [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Currently 3" revtek lift, plan to upgrade.
  2. Jun 30, 2014 at 9:10 AM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:
    Jenson on a scale of 1-10, about a 2. It will do the job and as long as your not after more than functional you should be fine. Any double din will fit, any single din will fit with adapter plate. There's not too much that a double won't accept.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Jun 30, 2014 at 9:12 AM
    PB65stang

PB65stang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2016 F150 Lariat 4x4
    5100s (2.5" front), OEM Raptor wheels, 315/70/17 BFGs, Undercover, tint, Weathertechs.
    Yeah, everything Jensen I've been around was kinda crappy. Never owned one, but wasn't impressed with them.

4. Jun 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM
    pruchai

pruchai KAMA3

Member:
    First Name:
    Igor
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TRD TX Baja
    Not enough...
    Jensen = Kill it with fire

Source: Used to be car stereo and alarm installer

5. Jun 30, 2014 at 11:56 AM
    fergsonfire

fergsonfire Electrical Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    I concur with all assessments of Jensen presented thus far

6. Jul 1, 2014 at 8:40 AM
    Indy

Member:
    I was at walmart yesterday, they have a pioneer double din dvd with bluetooth for about $250. When I was younger Pioneer was the SHIT! Now it's not, probably wasn't then either but I didn't know better. It's still a lot better than Jensen. Plus personally I stream music constantly, only listen to the radio a a few hours a year, bluetooth is a must for me.

They also have a kenwood for about $300, it's a lower model number than what I have in my Mustang but visually looks identical. It came with the car so not 100% on the specs, but I like it.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  7. Jul 1, 2014 at 8:43 AM
    fergsonfire

fergsonfire Electrical Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSB TRD OR BBP
    pioneer decks are still pretty solid. Amps and speakers, eh not so much, unless you count the stage 4 stuff that most can't afford. But the nav's and especially the DEX-P99rs, best currently made head unit around.

8. Jul 1, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    AEmedic

AEmedic Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Boise, ID
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB 4X4 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD Supercharger, Toytec Adj. Coil-Overs, Bilstein 5100's, JL Audio system w/Kenwood DNX9980HD HU
    There isn't one good thing to say about anything Jensen!!!

9. Jul 1, 2014 at 4:27 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    This x1000

10. Jul 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    o0oSHADOWo0o

o0oSHADOWo0o Just lurking in the darkness

Member:
    First Name:
    Shadow
    Va Beach
    Vehicle:
    2012 Double Cab Short Bed 4x4 TRD Sport
    Just a few LEDs...
    Jensen made "good"(relatively speaking) tri-axial 6x9 speakers way back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. Of course this was before there were much better products more widely available.

Dang...Now I'm showing my age. :eek:

I didn't even know Jensen was still around. As far as quality goes, they're probably right up there with Pyramid and Audiovox....In other words, crap.

If you want quality, you have to pay for it.

11. Jul 1, 2014 at 8:41 PM
    Cray

Cray [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Currently 3" revtek lift, plan to upgrade.
    Damn! Really glad I didn't get it then. haha but yes functionality is all im wanting but being young and in college I cant break the bank, suggestions?

12. Jul 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM
    g34rh34d

g34rh34d Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    Well like most things, "Opinions are plentiful" (there obviously is another cliche' here...) Anyway, here is my opinion.

I just ordered and installed the new Jensen VX7020. This is (according to their website: Their top of the line Head unit.)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-bjQVOHe8Bgv/p_110VX7020/Jensen-VX7020.html

That said, I will caveat I have always been partial to Alpine for all my previous Automotive Stereo upgrades. But for the purposes of practicality, (mostly cost) the VX7020 (which, I found out is actually made by Audiovox) is a decent head unit features - to - cost wise. At $349.00 It has GPS, Bluetooth, CD (MP3, WMA etc; ) DVD, Pandora, USB, Ipod control, backup camera capability, 10 band equalizer settings for all music and media sources, and XM capable. Its a double DIN and has touch screen. I just installed the unit, worked out all the kinks with the interface to the factory harness (I have the JBL system) and just this afternoon added the XM tuner to the unit.

In all, I an very impressed with the GPS, and all the features for this price point. That said, I cant speak directly to the VM9126, it seems that unit is an older model (possibly) of this series of Jensen units, but in all I think it will do fine for you needs. If you are still on the fence due to responses seen on this thread, I may recommend the VX7020 or the VX series of head units. that seem to be decent Low dollar units.

If my budget was unlimited, I would have likely purchased another alpine, but for the feature set this unit has, you would easily spend four times the $$ for the Alpine or other popular brands.

Hope that gives you at least one vote of confidence.

Oh and the sound (utilizing the factory speakers) is much better with this new head unit. the 10 band EQ really helps to maximize the factory speaker's potential.

FWIW.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  13. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM
    brackish

brackish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    frank
    Tupelo, MS
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    Just the guy I'm looking for! I'm just starting that (VX 7020) install in a 2007 double cab Prerunner and have two questions. What did you do with the orange wire (listed as illumination)from the head unit and what did you do with the Pink wire (listed as brake) from the head unit? I've searched and found many differing opinions but not on this specific unit.

Also, thanks for reviewing, my decision was based on the same factors, glad to see another opinion that is consistent.

14. Jul 23, 2014 at 6:48 PM
    Indy

Member:
    Illumination taps into any wire that goes hot when you turn on your lights. It will make the unit dim at night.

Brake goes to ground when your e brake is on.

15. Jul 23, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I have a Jensen 300x2 amp for my subs. Bought it when I was in college and just needed something I could afford.

I'd love to upgrade it b/c I'm sure it isn't what it once was, and probably wasn't much even then. That said it still works after 15 yrs and doesn't lead an easy life either.

16. Jul 24, 2014 at 4:34 AM
    g34rh34d

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '08 4 DR TRD Off Road - ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift, UCWMS, Airbags
    UCWMS; ICON Stg 1 Adjustable Coil Overs ~3" lift/shocks; Diff drop Spacers; Light Racing UCAs, Firestone Airbags
    Hello...

Sorry I hadn't responded to this question sooner! (I missed it in my email or something..) In any case, both of those wires (for me) were unused. I followed the paperwork provided by crutchfield for the supplied wiring harness, and for my application I did not use them.

I soldered all of my connections and used heatshrink tubing for the wire junctions.

A little late on my response (apologies) but I hope it helps.

Also an update on the performance of this unit. I have added the sirius /XM tuner and installed the antenna under the plastic bed trim as another member posed here in TW. (see this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/325851-tacoma-stealth-xm-satellite-antenna-install.html) The setup works awesome! also added a micro 64Gb usb drive plugged in to the usb port on the front of the unit to play any selected music I have.. So far I have been extremely pleased with the Head Unit, (and this coming from a former stereo snob who never installed anything but Alpine in their vehicles...)

I wish you all the best in your install and if you have more Qs please shoot me a PM. Ill help where I can!

17. Jul 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    brackish

brackish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    frank
    Tupelo, MS
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    Hey, no apologies necessary, in my world overnight is fast. Thanks for the info. I tried to buy from Crutchfield as I usually do because I like their support, however they were out of stock with a long lead time, so had to go elsewhere, needed this for a trip and to hook up a trailer (I'm adding a rear camera) by myself. Good to know you used their instructions.

No problems with the DVD function working with the brake wire unused? Also, does your unit dim when you turn on your headlights without the illumination wire used? Or if it doesn't, does it even matter?

Thanks for the offer of help by PM, may need that although this isn't my first rodeo.

18. Jul 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    Indy

Member:
    Most DVD players will only show a "vehicle must be parked" message if that wire doesn't ground. And a non dimmed deck will usually be pretty bright at night. Up to you ifits too bright or not.

19. Jul 25, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    g34rh34d

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Hello again.. I recommend doing the relay Bypass for DVD take a look at this vid, it is a quick and simple way to get around the parking brake nonsense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPz7FBW-b4I

Here's a link to the relay wiring: http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/weshole/TJamz/ParkingBrakeBypass.jpg

I went back and did this mod... it took all of about 15 minutes to wire in.

WRT the headlight dimmer, I really didn't bother with that. the GPS has a night mode if you are bothered by the brightness. the other screens backgrounds for playback etc are predominantly black with graphics and writing in color, so it really doesn't pose too much of an issue.

OH!! one thing I do want to tell you about.. the GPS has a default setting to warn you of speeding.. (grr!) but there is a way to turn that off. it buried in the GPS settings when in GPS mode under notifications.. its not in the settings portion of the main screen as I orig thought. so be sure to turn that off it get annoying real fast as it mutes the radio every time it goes off.

Hope that helps.

20. Jul 26, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    brackish

brackish Member

Member:
    First Name:
    frank
    Tupelo, MS
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    You kinda have to add where you are coming from when you ask for an opinion around here. In this case are you a true audiophile for whom sound is all important or are you like me looking for decent sound, features, reasonable longevity for a very reasonable price. The Jensen VX 7020 fits that need.

I'm finished my install, (almost) and I'm very happy. Thanks to all who came before me on this forum for all the info I needed for the install. In particular, thanks for the heads up on getting rid of the speed warning, I would have looked for a while to find that. Lots of details like the how to get into various panels, the infamous reverse wire kick panel location, how to feed the video signal wire from the rear camera, into the cab and on to the HU, that pesky dimmer/illumination wire issue and the grounding methods for the pink brake wire all covered here.

This is a great unit FOR THE PRICE. I got it, in order of importance, for back up camera capability, blue tooth hands free capability for phone use, in dash navigation, auxiliary source music input capability and lastly, decent sound quality. The install went great, and unlike some complaints I've heard, my aftermarket dash kit fit tightly with no rattles and looks great.

I say I'm almost finished because I have not yet been able to get the SWC up. The Jensen unit has an onboard interface, however, the permutations and combinations of wiring options along with the need to manually program each one to see if that's it, left me frustrated. I may skip the Jensen interface and just get an aftermarket self programming interface. It seems that's what most folks have done anyway even on units costing three times the Jensen.

Additionally, my camera (not a Jensen item) was unfortunately assembled upside down, so I have a crystal clear upside down image. Thought it would be a matter of turning it over, but no, it cannot be done because the wiring chase is fixed with an outlet that would send the wiring down in front of the license plate If that were done. So I'll be done when the replacement comes.

I have a Jensen Marine unit on my sailboat. Same selection theory and in this case didn't want to put a high priced electronic device in a marine environment. It is still going strong five years later.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Hamer95USA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top