1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing stock deck, keeping speakers (01' Taco)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by beedoola, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Jul 11, 2014 at 8:26 PM
    beedoola

beedoola [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner 2.7
    I'm looking to get a new stereo deck for my 01. I'm going to keep the stock speakers cause I'm not looking to build/create a new stereo system, just get a new deck so I can use a AUX input for my iPod or phone. I've used the cassette adapter method for years but I've always noticed the sound is different, compromised when using the deck.

My questions are: Do I need to buy a separate amp, or do most decks have amplifiers in them to provide adequate power for the stock speakers?

2nd: Whats a good (has enough onboard power capabilities), reasonably priced deck? I don't need touch screen or anything like that. Just a easily accessible 1/8'' AUX input. Looking to spend $100 or less, if that is possible given my criteria.

2. Jul 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Any aftermarket HU will power the stock speakers to the max. No need for an amp until you upgrade speakers, which it sounds like is not going to happen.

Look into Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood. Those are the Top 3 manufactures. You can find all sorts of good deals with all the features you are asking for.

3. Jul 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM
    Tyler Lacasse

Tyler Lacasse Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    San Gabriel
    Vehicle:
    2002 Regular Cab
    Adding a new head unit to any vehicle is always great if you are looking for just the features such as auxiliary input. You will most likely have notably more power in your basic aftermarket head unit, but don't expect it to be a miracle for improving sound quality (that being said, assuming your stock head unit is at it's optimum performance anyways). Only upgraded speakers can do that.

Go for it.

4. Jul 16, 2014 at 11:42 PM
    jtyson123

jtyson123 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    03 bone stock
    Pretty much any walmart special deck will work for you. Without upgrading speakers, you don't need to worry about an amp. The built in amp in whatever unit you have is more than likely more than your stock speakers need anyway.

If you decide to upgrade speakers/add sub(s), amps, head over to some audio forums to check out brands. Like most things, the big names, are only big because they pay to be, not necessarily because they are the best.

5. Jul 17, 2014 at 10:05 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    PM sent asking for more info about your truck. Then I'll point you in the right direction.

6. Jul 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:

So you are saying a Jenson deck is as good as a Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood deck? :rofl:

7. Jul 17, 2014 at 12:39 PM
    jtyson123

jtyson123 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    03 bone stock
    No lol. As decks go, the big names are better. But as for speakers, subs, amps, capacitors, wiring, etc there are a lot of companies that produce higher quality performing equipment with less bling factor, therefor costing less.

Products Discussed in

To Top