1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for speaker suggestions/ opinions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ace96, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Jul 16, 2014 at 7:34 AM
    ace96

ace96 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Looking for suggestions and opinions on some new speakers for the Tacoma. I already upgraded the head unit to a Pioneer 3500 series, which helped but doesn't make up for the fact the stock speakers suck. I have no plans to install an amp. Just looking for a crisp, clean sound. Main music is classic rock....so no need for bass for thumping.

Here is what Crutchfield recommended (not sure I agree)

Front JBL GT7-96 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109JBLG796/JBL-GT7-96.html

Rear JBL GT7-5 (Have no idea why they did not use a 6.5 inch speaker) http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109JBLG75/JBL-GT7-5.html

I was thinking why not do 6.5 all the way around and use these instead.
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_53970_JBL-GTO629.html

Your thoughts? I am open to other brands. Keep in mind I have not bought speakers since late 90s...so bear with me here.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. Jul 16, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    ace96

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    AVS bug deflector, Weathertech digital fit floor mats, TRD skid plate w/ Sockmonkey decal, SOS Cocept sliders w/ Line-x, Pioneer 3500, Hybrid Audio Technology Mirus 6X9s & 6.5s, back up cam mod, Wet Okoles-front & rear, TRD exhaust, 17X9 XD Spy w/ Falken Wildpeaks, Avid light bar
    Hmmm...I thought i would get at least a hell no that's garbage. :D

3. Jul 16, 2014 at 7:54 PM
    bobswanson

bobswanson Tacoma247

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Chickamauga
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2.7 & 2009 Tacoma TRD OR
    Interior - Pioneer NEX-4000, Kenwood Digital Amps, JL Audio Door speakers, JL Audio Stealth Sub box. Exterior - Bilstein 5100's, TRD Intake, TRD Exhaust, ATO Rear Bumper
    Do you have a budget? I put JL Audio in all 4 doors and love them.

4. Jul 16, 2014 at 8:05 PM
    medic2230

medic2230 @Koditten Pirate Radio member #002

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Bama! Roll Tide
    Vehicle:
    2011 Taco 4x4 DCLB 2019 TRD PRO 4runner 2018 RAM 2500 mega cab
    20% Tint, OME 3"complete lift with Dakar's, Light Racing UCA's, 285/75/16 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 10 HP TW sticker, Ultraguage, B.A.M.F. Rock Sliders, MedicFab Bed Rack, Relentless front bumper, Air Flow Snorkel, Ham comms, Tech Deck
  5. Jul 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM
    ace96

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Sure. I would like to stay under $250 per set. Which JL speakers do you have?

Again I have no interest in adding an amp or a sub.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  6. Jul 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Your HU won't push those JBL's. Not enough power.

You need to look at the 40-60watt RMS range for that Pioneer HU.

I'd get a cheap 4channel amp, then you can run some better components like these which sound amazing.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165S/Focal-R-165S2.html?tp=106

Also these are fantastic speakers as well.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_22330_Image-Dynamics-CTX-6.5cs.html

Also JL audio is over priced for what you get. Yes its good, but ID/Focal and a lot of other companies sell much better speakers for less. You pay extra for the JL logo these days.

7. Jul 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM
    ace96

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT

If the HU won't push them, then why would Crutchfield recommend them???

Newb here, please explain why the JBL won't work. They have a rms of 2-70 While the HU has rms output of 14. 14 falls in the JBL's range. Confused.

8. Jul 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM
    kenneth.morris07

kenneth.morris07 كافر‎

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenneth
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Relentless Fab plate bumper,aFe Cold air intake, 12" JL sub, RE tweeters and speakers, Kenwood Head unit, Autodim/temp/compass mirror from Bob, baffled oil catch can
    I put RE speakers and tweeters all around with a Kenwood HU. I was immediately impressed by the change it made.

9. Jul 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM
    overload

overload Active Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    13DCSB
    If you go 6.5 all the way around then you should put components (seperate woofer and tweeter) in the front.

10. Jul 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    ace96

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    I have given some thought going to components speakers, however not sure that is in the realm of my skill level. I did install HU but that was just matching up the same color wire. :rolleyes:

11. Jul 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM
    012TacoDeAsada

012TacoDeAsada Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Whittier
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma MGM
    Icon all around,sick nicks fab front bumper..bfg a/t 275 80 17 on konig counter steer x,all pro rear bumper,5k hid,3k fog lights,rockford fosgate sound system on stock stereo,tints
    I think what Aw9d means is that the speakers won't get pushed to there full potential.. you can always just get a nice set of components up front and a 2 channel amp for just the front ..unless you plan on riding in the back seats you don't really need to upgrade the rear..If you have a nice front stage you won't even notice the rear.

12. Jul 17, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    CRU

CRU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seminole Cnty, FL
    Vehicle:
    07 SSM TuRD Sport DCLB
    20" Enkei WT4 wrapped in Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 3 265/50, Steel braided brake lines, Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS deck w/JBL GTO cones, OEM Smoked headlights, OEM LED tails, Clazzio seat covers, aFe Pro-Dry S air filter, Fumoto oil valve, Grillcraft MX grille w/Land Cruiser "TOYOTA" emblem, Redline QuickLIFT hood struts, Leather TRD shift knob, 13" shorty antenna
    I went the JBL route as well. Like yourself, I wasn't looking for a competition class system. Just a little better quality. I upgraded my head unit to a Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS. I did this mainly for the bluetooth, Android, and DVD features. As for speakers, JBL GTO928 up front and JBL GTO628 in the rear. Total cost for all 4 speakers was about $120. I couldn't be more pleased. The setup has more volume than I need. Sure there is better stuff out there, but why spend the money if you don't want nor need it.

13. Jul 17, 2014 at 1:32 PM
    ace96

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Gotcha. I am not looking to let the whole world know what I am listening too. ;)

Anyone have a "how to" on installing component speakers in a Tacoma.

14. Jul 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    Shiloh1944

Shiloh1944 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Window Rain Guards, Clazzio leather seat covers, Polk Audio door speakers, Kicker Hidaway powered sub. Auto dimming mirror/compass and temp.
    I just put components in my 2014 Tacoma DC. I installed Polk DB6501 speakers in the front and Polk DB651 in the rear. If you buy components that have a crossover built into the tweeters then it is basically a plug and play connection (not quite but almost, splice new tweeters into factory harness and connect Metra adapter harness to factory harness for woofers). If you buy components with a separate crossover like the ones I purchased then it takes a little more simple wiring effort. You can see what I did in this post.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/336047-help-simple-stereo-improvement.html

Just be sure and not make the mistake I did at first by reversing the polarity on tweeters that do not have the crossover built in. You will have to splice into your factory harness to connect a separate crossover but it is really simple. Just keep all the polarities correct. I mounted my crossovers in the doors and did all my splicing into the factory harness in the doors.

15. Jul 18, 2014 at 6:02 AM
    PMDclassics

PMDclassics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Bismarck
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    JBL Speakers....Sensitivity is at 94db. Simply the most efficient speakers in the industry. The JBL speakers (I have the GTO series) are a perfect match for the Entune head unit. You can't go wrong if you don't want to spend big bucks. I love my JBL's and got them cheap at onlinecarstereo

16. Jul 18, 2014 at 6:35 AM
    ace96

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Where exactly did you splice into factory harness. I am interested in components if I can find where to splice correctly.

17. Jul 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM
    Shiloh1944

Shiloh1944 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    AVS Bugdeflector II, AVS Window Rain Guards, Clazzio leather seat covers, Polk Audio door speakers, Kicker Hidaway powered sub. Auto dimming mirror/compass and temp.
    It will depend on whether or not you buy components with the crossover built into the tweeter or a separate crossover. If the crossover is built into the tweeter then just splice your tweeter into the harness right where the factory tweeter is. Clip the red and black wires close to the factory tweeter and splice in your aftermarket tweeters. I made my own tweeter brackets from a template someone posted here on the site. You can probably do a search and find it. If you buy speakers that have a separate crossover as I did it will require more splicing plus some consideration as to where you want to mount your crossovers. I mounted mine just aft of where the door panel pull handle screws to the door bracket. You will have to be sure and check to make sure where you put your screws will not interfere with the window regulator if you use screws. Some folks I believe use Velcro but the surface was to uneven for me to use Velcro. I used sheet metal screws that did not protrude much into the inside of the door.

I spliced into the harness using butt connectors about two inches below where it goes into the tweeter connector making sure it was the leads coming from the HU and ran them to the input terminals on my crossover. My tweeters came with a fairly long lead already so I just ran it to the tweeter terminals on the crossover. The leads that go to the woofer are the other two wires at the tweeter connector. I clipped them about two inches below the connector, pulled them out of the bundle that goes up to the tweeter, made my splice again using butt connectors and ran it to the woofer terminals on my crossover. Zip tied everything up in nice neat bundles and double checked to make sure all my polarities were correct and was done.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
  18. Jul 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM
    ace96

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    '11 SWB DC TRD SPORT
    Let me see if I got this. The wires running to the stock tweeter will now go to crossover. Then from crossover you run new wire to new tweeter and new speaker. So the old door speaker connection is left unused. Is this correct?

19. Jul 22, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    Shiloh1944

Shiloh1944 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Louis
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD off road
    The speaker wires coming from the HU into the front doors go directly to the stock tweeter connector. The stock tweeter connector has four wires, two pair. Depending on the door they will be either two pink and two purple or two blue and two light green. Two of those wires or one pair are the main speaker wires coming from the HU. Either one pink and purple pair or one blue and light green pair. The other pair at the tweeter connector go to the door woofer. If you trace the speaker wires through the harness where they first come into the door you will find they are one of the pairs that go to the tweeter harness connector. Figure out which pair it is, clip it at the tweeter connector and reroute it to the input terminals of your crossover, and new wire already connected to you aftermarket tweeter route it to the tweeter terminals. Finally the other pair at the stock tweeter connector are your woofer pair and they will need to be rerouted and connected to the woofer terminals. If any of your pairs are not long enough to reach where you place your crossover you will have to splice in enough wire for them to reach. I did using butt connectors.

I also used Metra harness adapters #72-8104 for connecting the aftermarket woofers to the stock harness since I used as much of the stock harness as possible. I also used them on the rear doors because those speakers are simply plug and play.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    MolonLabeTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top