1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing head unit on JBL advice

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by cpeterson24, Jul 16, 2014.

?

Should I replace the head unit?

Poll closed Aug 15, 2014.
  1. YES

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. NO

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Jul 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    cpeterson24

cpeterson24 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport MGM
    Billies all around, 885's up front, 1.5" AAL in the rear ,Pro Comp 7032's wrapped in BFG AT 265/75/16, Locking rear cargo bins, interior LED's, Volant CAI with ram skewp, 5% back windows 20% tint up front, ImMrYo rear-view mirror mount, flowmaster 40 cut after axle drop, 886 reverse light mod, blacked out emblems, Grill Craft MX mesh upper and lower, UltraGauge, 10" JL sub behind drivers side rear seat
    Hey TW, so I can use some of your guys' advice as I am pretty novice when it comes to what will/wont work and if it would make a difference. So here's what I have:

Stock JBL speakers and Stock JBL head unit with entune and Nav. Don't use the entune or the nav EVER

Running an amp mounted under my seat to a 10" jbl shallow mount sub in a custom box behind the drivers side back seat like this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/291173-10-jl-w0-double-cab.html . Gets it signal by splicing the wire going to the left rear speaker. Amp has a built in high level input allowing this to happen. Still have the stock JBL amp and everything else hooked up to it.

What I am wondering is: Would replacing the stock head unit with something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X2600BT/Pioneer-AVH-X2600BT.html?tp=5684 make a big difference or is it not worth it? I'm assuming if I re-wire the amp to run off an after market head unit I would get more control and better sound not only with the sub, but also the door speakers? (please correct me if I am wrong)

Are the stock JBL speakers any better than the crappy paper ones that come in the base models? I know I could replace all the speakers, but I paid for the JBL in the beginning I would like to not have to replace them if they are decent (never seen one).

So that's what I have. Please chime in with what you would do or any other comments/advice.

Much appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. Jul 16, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    jtyson123

jtyson123 Member

Member:
    Albuquerque, NM, USA
    Vehicle:
    03 bone stock
    You can replace the head unit with something that has more options for tuning, but unless you are upgrading all of the speakers, adding amps, etc I don't know that you would really be able to tell much of a difference unless you are a true audiophile.

3. Jul 17, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    cpeterson24

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport MGM
    Billies all around, 885's up front, 1.5" AAL in the rear ,Pro Comp 7032's wrapped in BFG AT 265/75/16, Locking rear cargo bins, interior LED's, Volant CAI with ram skewp, 5% back windows 20% tint up front, ImMrYo rear-view mirror mount, flowmaster 40 cut after axle drop, 886 reverse light mod, blacked out emblems, Grill Craft MX mesh upper and lower, UltraGauge, 10" JL sub behind drivers side rear seat
    thanks jtyson123, any one else feel the same way?

4. Jul 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    cpeterson24

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport MGM
    bump, anyone?

Products Discussed in

To Top