Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Replacing head unit on JBL advice

View Poll Results: Should I replace the head unit?
YES 4 66.67%
NO 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
cpeterson24 is just really nicecpeterson24 is just really nicecpeterson24 is just really nicecpeterson24 is just really nicecpeterson24 is just really nice

Name: Christian
cpeterson24's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing head unit on JBL advice

Hey TW, so I can use some of your guys' advice as I am pretty novice when it comes to what will/wont work and if it would make a difference. So here's what I have:

Stock JBL speakers and Stock JBL head unit with entune and Nav. Don't use the entune or the nav EVER

Running an amp mounted under my seat to a 10" jbl shallow mount sub in a custom box behind the drivers side back seat like this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ouble-cab.html . Gets it signal by splicing the wire going to the left rear speaker. Amp has a built in high level input allowing this to happen. Still have the stock JBL amp and everything else hooked up to it.

What I am wondering is: Would replacing the stock head unit with something like this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X260...T.html?tp=5684 make a big difference or is it not worth it? I'm assuming if I re-wire the amp to run off an after market head unit I would get more control and better sound not only with the sub, but also the door speakers? (please correct me if I am wrong)

Are the stock JBL speakers any better than the crappy paper ones that come in the base models? I know I could replace all the speakers, but I paid for the JBL in the beginning I would like to not have to replace them if they are decent (never seen one).

So that's what I have. Please chime in with what you would do or any other comments/advice.

Much appreciated!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:37 AM   #2
jtyson123 is on a distinguished road
jtyson123's Tacoma Gallery
You can replace the head unit with something that has more options for tuning, but unless you are upgrading all of the speakers, adding amps, etc I don't know that you would really be able to tell much of a difference unless you are a true audiophile.