1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Long intro...Want it done right>>Audio upgrade, Stock HU using all JL audio?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tommymac, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Jul 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM
    tommymac

tommymac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB Sport
    Hi all, I have the Entune Plus with no Nav and it's non JBL. I've been researching my Audio upgrade for some time now. It started when a local Car Audio shop botched a install of 4 speakers and a amp on my new Tacoma. Ya, they were to put in 4 new Rockford Fosgate Punch speakers and that tidy little Alpine KTP-445U amp. Well I got a phone call about 2 hours after I dropped off the truck. They told me they couldn't get the amp to work. (no sound on LF Spk.) So I went down there and find they cut all the wires behind the HU in order to do this install, apparently they never heard of Best Kits Radio Wire Harnesses. They reported they couldn't get the FL speaker to work, and insisted I had a amp buried somewhere in my 1 month old truck; and wanted to know if I would like them to just install the speakers. I asked them to solder all the splices and just put things back together as stock. Everything seems fine. All of the speakers are working and I have no static on my beloved AM talk/sports channels. So when I got home I did a quick google search on adding a Amp to a Stock HU I discovered rather quickly that I would need a Line Out Converter. Ya, it sure doesn't say much for our one and only local Audio shop. So I figure if you want it done right do it yourself...so here I am.
    The most helpful thread I have found so far is this one http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/au...-converter-help-needed-harness-wires-tap.html
    I just hope this all makes sense to ya'all.
    1st item. LOC.
    After talking to the nice folks at Crutchfield I was pretty convinced I wanted the Audio Control LC6i, but after reading here and the reader reviews on Amazon I'm more inclined to pay up for the JL Audio Clean Sweep. What say you? I guess the reason I want to keep the HU is the steering wheel controls and the Bluetooth. Man that bluetooth is nice. Most of my listening when driving any distance is through my iPhone. The stock unit makes it really nice. It connects automatically and the song even starts playing where it left off the last time you were listening to the music app. Very Cool. It just seemed to me that it would be less hassle keeping the stock HU VS. making a aftermarket one work the way this one does, so long as the music doesn't suffer.
    Speakers
    The stock HU and speakers sound terrible. Probably the worst I've heard. Right now I'm trying to decide between the JL C2's and the JL GTO's. I'd like to put the 6X9's in the front and 6.5''ers in the back doors. But what I'd really like to do is put the back ones in the roof with some kind of special housing. Has anyone done this? The rear door locations are pretty bad, especially because I usually have the back seat folded down. I don't really want a sub, just don't want to give up the room they would take up. So it is important that the 4 main speakers have good bass. I dig that old sixty's, seventy's stuff. Good reproduction of percussion is important, but it doesn't have to rattle the windows. What are your thoughts?
    Amp
    Well seeing as I am all JL Audio so far I figured I'd price out one of their amps. The XD 400/4 made sense but when I looked at the overall price tag I was kinda up and over what I was hoping to spend (600-700).
    Summery
    I know that the C2 series speakers are twice as much as the GTO's. And the JL CleanSweep is way more than the LCI6. But I am doing this because I want excellent sound with no hissing sound. Ya I could go with a cheaper amp too. The stock head unit has all the features I want. (I think that maybe if I add the GPS antenna It will function as well, not sure on this though.) But like I say, I am over budget. I am looking for suggestions. I hope all of this made sense. Thanks for taking the time to read all of this and for responding.
    BTW.
    I was going to buy all the JL components from a certain seller on Amazon. But I see he only has a 94% favorable rating over the last 12 months but has over 4,000 reviews in that time. I would welcome any JL audio seller recommendations. I don't even have to go with JL, just seems people think that they are the best. I've always liked Alpine and Polk in the past. Hey I waited 3 days to have the local shop botch a basic install. (Seems they could have gotten some inexpensive adaptors in three days). I can wait a few more for some good suggestions. Thanks Again!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Jul 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Welcome to TW.

All I can say is JL makes good speakers. But JL is over priced IMO.

I'd also swap your front to 6.5's vs 6x9's. 6x9's are not the best for SQ. You'll be much happier with a good 6.5 component set up front vs 6x9's.

3. Jul 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM
    tommymac

tommymac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Northern MN
    Vehicle:
    14 Tacoma DCLB Sport
    Thanks for the welcome Colby. Ya the JL speakers are probably over priced. I've gotten your recommendation for 6.5 components in the front from others as well. Wanting the 6X9's might show my age a little. Back in the day they were the best way to go. Perhaps I'll have to look into a 6X9 component front set up. I was going to stay away from the component route just to keep it simpler. But hey what the heck, might just as well throw in some crossovers and learn a little more about wiring 'em up. I'm sure likey you say my ears will thank me.
    Do ya think that a 6.5 is still better than a 6X9 both being components? Whats your favorite speaker brand? Thanks again...

4. Jul 22, 2014 at 2:29 PM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Im a fan of Alpine but everyone's got a different opinion on brand. I also currently have some infinity kappa components and they're nice but a but too high pitched. Honestly i wouldnt worry too much about brand and all... It's more important to get the right power to your speaker and tune the amp properly. Get an amp that outputs what the RMS rating is for the speaker. I am also researching a good way to make a sealed box in the doors for the speakers. WAY better bass response if theyre sealed somehow.

5. Jul 27, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Well based on what you wanted, I'd say stick to an infinite baffle set up,
    You can fit 8 inch midbass/ mid range speakers in the front doors with a mounting template.
    Find a tweeter that you can cross over lower ( under 1khz ) find a 4x100wrms -150 4 channel and find yourself a decent external 3 way cross over and deadner the heck outa the door.

As for installing, most amps I'd recommend will fit under the seats of the Tacoma

The 8s I'm running for example has a freq response from 43hz to 2khz and an handle 150wrms and my tweeters freq response as low as 800hz and take 100wms.

There is a more " sq" oriented line up but sq is so subjective.
    For what's it's worth, the brand and products are not only designed but also used by a current and continues world champion sq competitor over the last many mang years!
    From tube amps to amps wih built in dsp's

Products Discussed in

To Top