Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Question about space around powered subwoofer.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #1
Shiloh1944 is on a distinguished road
Name: Louis
Shiloh1944's Tacoma Gallery
Question about space around powered subwoofer.

I recently installed a powered subwoofer behind the drivers side rear seat of my 2014 Tacoma DC. When the seat is latched in place there isn't much room for the Kicker Hideaway Sub. My question is how much space is necessary for the sub to properly function. With the seat latched in place the sub seems to function OK but I am wondering if the space is adequate. I know the back of the seat must be very close if not almost against the powered sub.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
As long as the sub isn't touching the back of the seat you'll be ok. My sub is about .5 of an inch away from the back of my seat.

From what I can tell the Kicker sub you have is protected so you should have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
PMDclassics is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
PMDclassics's Tacoma Gallery
I'm considering a Kicker Hideaway sub for my 2014 DC as well. The area behind the rear seat seals up pretty snug and I wondered about putting a sub back there as well. How does it sound Shiloh? Is it worth it?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Hideaway is good if you want a little more bass than the stock JBL sub.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
The Kicker Hideaway sub has plenty of base for me and I have the remote turned only to about 1/3, perhaps even lower. I had to turn the base down on my HU. It will vibrate the windows. If you are sitting in the back drivers side seat it will give you a nice back massage. I also changed out my door speakers to Polk Audio so my system sounds much better for me. Probably really didn't need the Kicker sub but I had bought it so was going to use it. I like what it adds.

At first I removed the plastic storage compartment behind the drivers back seat and mounted the sub horizontally on a board that I fastened to the back of the cab but I just didn't like the way it looked even though it was hidden when the seat is up. I put the plastic storage compartment back in and mounted the sub vertically because it will not fit horizontally. It now looks a lot nicer but has less room but so far is working OK. It would have a little more room if I had not mounted it to a 3/4" piece of plywood that I fastened to the plastic storage compartment. I wanted a solid mount and didn't want it bouncing around in the back thus the 3/4" plywood.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #6
Crashmaxwell is on a distinguished road
EMS: Paramedic
Name: Crash
Crashmaxwell's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Aw9d.

Did you put this in with a JBL system? I have JBL and am looking to expand the system but try not tp remove the whole thing.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
TacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
TacoMater's Tacoma Gallery
If you want the sub to breath properly, remove the hard plastic cover on the back of the seat.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #8
I don't have a hard plastic cover on the back of my seat. Just seat cover.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:49 AM   #9
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMater View Post
If you want the sub to breath properly, remove the hard plastic cover on the back of the seat.
Not necessarily a rule.... I've had one sub that sounded better with the seatback on, and one that sounded better with it off.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
TacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
TacoMater's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, I have a dclb. It was just a suggestion. . If you don't have the hard plastic nyou shouldn't have any worries.