1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Metra Axxess Help Needed

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pollock21, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Jul 23, 2014 at 8:36 PM
    pollock21

pollock21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma DC, TRD Sport 4x4
    I just installed my new navi and it's all good to go. Only issue is my axxess isn't working properly. I've had this thing for years and never could get it to work right so I had a PAC installed with my Pioneer.

My new deck is a clarion so the PAC needed replaced, so with the new plug and play harness for the axxess I thought I'd give it another go. All I had to connect was accessory and ground. I did use the ground in the harness as opposed to a separate ground, but I like always prefer a common ground for everything. The directions do call for a chassis ground which I might have to try.

My taco is a 2011. The manufacture date on my axxess is 2010. I could update the firmware on the axxess, but the dang cable is $30, so I'd just buy a new one for that price. The new ones update by usb. That's assuming it's a firmware issue.

It runs the auto detect just fine, blinks 3 times confirming it sees my clarion and ends with a solid red light. But when I press my steering wheel controls, nothing happens. Looking for ideas on what to try next. Could be I've always had a bad unit as I've never been able to make it work.

Other than firmware and ground, there's not much else I can think of. Install was too simple and programming seemed to work, so I'm at a loss. FYI, head unit is clarion nx702.

2. Jul 23, 2014 at 9:03 PM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    I am running this with the optional harness that is supposed to be plug and play. I pulled it out again this afternoon and found that the white wire with red stripe is grounded through the harness kit. This seemed to be the wire that caused everyone to stumble during their installation. Mine seems to be installed properly, however, there are two violet wires with white stripes. One is connected through the harness to the new wiring kit, the other does not pass through to the harness kit. I put a meter on it today and with the ignition on, it read +10V. I don't know if this is needed for anything or if there is anything different for the 2011's vs the previous model years. All that I can confirm is that it will not work.

I've had this unit for a few years and have never, ever made it work in a vehicle and I'm wondering at this point if it's a lemon. My last resort is to buy another one and see if it will work. That's a terrible way to troubleshoot, but it's where I'm at now and it's the last thing I can think of to try.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. Jul 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    Any other ideas or things to check?

4. Jul 27, 2014 at 7:55 PM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    Talked to Metra customer service today. They were extremely helpful. Unfortunately there is an issue with the unit not properly detecting some Clarions and because mine is an older unit I don't have the cable to update it. So I'm going to buy a new model with the updated firmware so I can force program the unit.

Sort of sucks, but the cable for the older unit costs almost as much as a new module.

Products Discussed in

To Top