Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How did you keep speaker wires separate from the power?

Old 07-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #1
tommymac is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Tom
tommymac's Tacoma Gallery
How did you keep speaker wires separate from the power?

So I made a decision on my stereo upgrade. ('14 DBL cab, Entune Plus, Non JBL, no NAV.) I decided to use Crutchfield as a vendor. Their support and return policy is what sold me. I was unclear as to what speakers would fit, mainly concerned with the clearance between the speaker and door panel. So I went with 4 JBL GT7 series speakers. No Problem returning these if someone has a better suggestion. Deciding on speakers was tough. The JL audio line out converter - CleanSweep, to integrate my stock HU. For a amp I choose the Crutchfield store brand, Sound Ordnance M4050 50W x 4 Car Amplifier. They guarantee the amp for 3 years and the price is nice.
So my gear should be here today and I'm gonna start tearing apart my Taco as soon as I finish this post. My BIG question for you guys is, What is the best way to keep the power and speaker wire runs separated? I hope to put both the Amp. and the SoundSweep under the front passenger seat. Saving the space under the drivers seat for a future Subwoofer. I need to run the speaker wires from behind the HU to the SoundSweep and then from the Amp to the speakers. And of coarse the power cable's to the battery.
How have you tackled this challenge? Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Run power down one side of the truck.

Run speaker wire down the other side of the truck or down the middle.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
HTX is on a distinguished road
HTX's Tacoma Gallery
Do the 14 Dbl cabs have the air vents under the seat? Just curious because my 13 did, so I didn't want to put my amp there.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
tommymac is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Tom
tommymac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Run power down one side of the truck.

Run speaker wire down the other side of the truck or down the middle.
Ya, I havn't taken the seats out yet but perhaps it will be do-able. The speaker wires to the AOC will be traveling under the center console. So I hope to run the front spk wires from the amp down the same path under the center console. I think once the seats are out it will be obvious where to run the rear speaker wires and the amp power wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX
Do the 14 Dbl cabs have the air vents under the seat? Just curious because my 13 did, so I didn't want to put my amp there.
Yes it does. Perhaps I should be more concerned about this. My thought was to place the Amp on some sort of thin plate, maybe aluminum, and then over the air ducts. I don't see a major concern, I would think it would help keep it warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Perhaps I'll just block off that air duct as I don't think people will ride in the back seat much. Maybe someone could enlighten me on this.

Does anyone know what this is? It is located under the rear most part of the center console. The hole in the back looks to be a cooling fan.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you keep speaker wires separate from the power?-img_1179.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing that's your power inverter but not sure.

And run the power down the same side as the battery and you won't have issues. The further away the speaker wire is from power wires the better.

Also I placed the amp right after my floor ac vents under my seat. I never use the heater in the winter here in AZ and during the hot summer the AC on the floor keeps my amp nice and cool. I used some chrome sleeves to raise it up about 1 inch to clear the carpet.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:38 AM   #6
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
I ran them down the same side. I just made sure that the power was run down on channel and the speaker wire were run down the other. You can also keep to the outsides of each channel. I have never had any trouble with done this way.

I put the crossovers under the front seats and the amp is mounted to the Stealthbox behind the rear seat.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 AM   #7
pcabinatan is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
pcabinatan's Tacoma Gallery
I'd be more worried about separating rcas then speaker wire. The rcas car much less voltage and will transmit noise.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
AEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shedAEmedic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Director of Wing Inspections
Name: Chris
AEmedic's Tacoma Gallery
I ran the RCA's on the other side of the truck to stay away from the issue all together.