Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Hooking up ipod classic

Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Djg21 is on a distinguished road
Djg21's Tacoma Gallery
Hooking up ipod classic

I just brought home a new Taco last evening, and I'm still working my way through the manuals. Hope someone can help me with some simple (I hope) iPod connection questions.

I have the entune head unit with Nav & JBL.

I want to hook up my old 160gb IPod Classic (6th gen I think). I have the cable/adapter I used to hook up the iPod with in my old BMW. It has the iPod adapter on one end, and both an Aux plug and USB plug on the other.

I had thought this plug/adapter would work. When it is installed, I can play the Pod through the Aux port and, it charges via USB. But i can't control it with the head unit, and the head unit doesn't display track info.

First, was I right to assume I'd be able to control the iPod through the head unit and display track info?

Second, what cable is necessary. At this point, i assume i should be using just a USB cable? Is there a particular one that works well, or will the generic Apple cable work?

Anyone come up with any ideas about stashing the ipod away? In my old car, it stashed in the center console. In my wife's audi, the plugs for the iPod are in the glovebox. I am sort of OCD about having wires all over the cab of my vehicle.

Are there any ways to do more of a hidden install?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
cuz my life is dope and I do dope shit
TurdTaco13 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
TurdTaco13's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, just plug the iPod into the USB port. That's what it's there for. That gives you full iPod control through the head unit itself. The standard white USB cable that came with your iPod works just fine.

As for where to stash it, mine is sitting in the weird little pocket thingee to the right of the steering wheel.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdTaco13 View Post
Dude, just plug the iPod into the USB port. That's what it's there for. That gives you full iPod control through the head unit itself. The standard white USB cable that came with your iPod works just fine.

As for where to stash it, mine is sitting in the weird little pocket thingee to the right of the steering wheel.
this.

why would you not use the factory usb location with a standard apple dock cable?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Djg21's Tacoma Gallery
The current cable i have, pilfered from my old BMW, wont allow the iPod to play unless through the Aux port. Wasn't sure if it was just a problem with the BMW cable, and I don't think I even have the oem white cable to try. I'll drop by the apple store tomorrow and buy a cable.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
North222 is on a distinguished road
North222's Tacoma Gallery
Is your Ipod bluetooth compatible? If so, you can connect that way as well.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:46 AM   #6
Djg21's Tacoma Gallery
Not BT
Old 08-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Djg21's Tacoma Gallery
It works with the Apple OEM cord. I do wish there was a USB port in the center console or glove box. I hate wires hanging from my dash. That's my issue though, and I'll have to get over it.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
whiting1977 is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
whiting1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djg21 View Post
It works with the Apple OEM cord. I do wish there was a USB port in the center console or glove box. I hate wires hanging from my dash. That's my issue though, and I'll have to get over it.

Thanks.
Not your issue alone. I hate it too! If anyone comes up with a solution I would sure love to hear it.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Djg21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiting1977 View Post
Not your issue alone. I hate it too! If anyone comes up with a solution I would sure love to hear it.
My audio installer just told I can purchase a USB port from Radio Shack and he can install it in the glovebox or next to the steering wheel (next to the little storage bin) pretty easily. It might render the one on the dash unusable however.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
BBHTT is on a distinguished road
Navy: Former Naval Aviator
BBHTT's Tacoma Gallery
New Guy on the Forum here...

I just traded in my 15 year old 2000 Tacoma PreRunner in for a new 2014 Tacoma PreRunner AC. Boy, is it bigger ! I figure the 2nd Gen Tacomas are about as large as the 1st Gen Tundras. Anyway, I love the improvements in electronics tech, but It doesn't recognize my old iPod Photo thru the USB port. It plays it thru the headset adapter to the aux port just fine, but obviously I'd like the control associated with the USB port.

Any ideas?
Old 08-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #11
adrenalnjunky will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
adrenalnjunky's Tacoma Gallery
sounds kinda like the OP's issue - are you using the real apple USB cord, or an aftermarket cord? That's what fixed his problem.

also - might try plugging your ipod into a computer via usb and make sure it is recognized - never know when there might be a problem with the device itself.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Also update the software on your iPod. I've seen some iPods that are not updated and they do not play well with just about anything.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 AM   #13
Djg21's Tacoma Gallery
If you have Entune, check the version number. You may need an update. Mine did when I brought my truck home. Other than that, i just plugged my iPod classic into the usb port. I get an occasional error, but it works pretty well for the most part .