1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hetz speakers vs Focal Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Black Bear, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Apr 15, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    Black Bear

Black Bear [OP] Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5
    Anyone heard of Hertz speakers. I was sold on purchasing a set of Focal 165 KPS, but recently found the Hertz MLK 165's. Anyone have a preference or heard of the Hertz.

Here is the web site: www.hertzaudiovideo.com

Anyone with any info would be appreciated.

Thx

BB

2. Apr 15, 2009 at 2:22 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    There's a guy on here who went with Hertz, you could try using the search and find it pretty easy. From what I read, they are very well respected, but haven't had the opportunity to hear them. Where did you find them in Portland? I don't know of any dealers, and would like to hear them in person.

I have listened to Focals at Cartoys. I could tell differences between models, but not enough to justify the $400 jumps between them. Still sounded quite nice, but I think you can possibly come under their prices with Hybrid Car Audio, which is highly touted by some of the folks here (I'm waiting for a bit of clear weather to install mine and see how things turn out).

You could also try comparing Morel, but I only found them at Car Stero City in Beaverton (the older guy there is an ass who will try talking you out of looking at them if you aren't wearing a suit).

Hear No Evil in Salem used to carry MB Quart, I don't know what their deluxe line is now... probably Focal. I feel the Focal to do a bit better, but I haven't listened in the same room.

In all, I don't think you are going to be dissappointed by either choice, it's just a matter of price

EDIT: I guess I should say there are many other choices, but the above is what's readily available in our neck of the woods.

3. Apr 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    I personally just dont care for the Focals, I even auditioned a Focal demo car and still didnt care for them. Now the Hertz I was quite pleased with.

4. Apr 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM
    Black Bear

Black Bear [OP] Member

Member:
    PDX
    Vehicle:
    TRD SR5
    Thx for the response, here is the address of shop I found the Hertz speakers. I purchased my Alpine IVA-W505 there, really good customer service and they dont try to push anything but good quality sounding stuff which is better than the experience I have had dealing with car toys!

The place is called Mobile West
    140 NE Broadway
    Portland, OR 97232
    www.mwpdx.com

If you go there ask for Peter Clover. He has the MLK165's installed in his own car. If you listen to them, I like your opinion on them vs the Focal.

5. Apr 16, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Oo, neat. Sounds like I need to visit.

6. Apr 16, 2009 at 6:31 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    I had 4 Focal 6x9 in my chrysler 300..
    2 front 2 rear , and 2 12" subs. off a jvc kdavx2 deck with a 4 and 1 channel RF punch amp set.

It was nice. I'm not an audiophile.
    The Amps were really old, but they still kicked and the system sounded very nice.

I don't remember the model of the focals but I think it was mid or top level. They rocked. All genres of music, so I think I had a good experience with them. But the chrysler is a significantly different audio setup than the tacoma.

7. May 9, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    fiestee23

fiestee23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Theresa
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner SR5
    6" ProComp lift w/coilovers, 35" ProComp A/T tires, Volant Intake, MagnaFlow Exhaust, Pioneer In-dash Navigation, NFAB tube steps, 6500 lb tow package, POP n LOCK tailgate lock, Air lift Bags, and MORE.....
    I just installed the Hertz high energys in my truck. 6x9's in front and 6.5rear with the Hertz amp as well. Just a heads up the Mille line (MLK) doesnt have the 6x9 size so it will leave a little space in the front. I also got the Dynamat installed that eliminates the rattling in the doors. I am VERY VERY happy with them so far and they sound amazing in the truck. They have clean sound in the highs and hit nice with the base even without the woofer and box. Focals seem to be waaaaay more expensive but I hear they are great too.

8. May 9, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I've heard a bunch of different Focal and Hertz speakers. I had a set of 165V1 Focal components that I was in love with in my IS300. I've never owned a set of Hertz but my close friend has the high energy midbass speakers in his accord and they are fantastic. I've heard the Mille line and it's nice as well.

The important thing to remember is that both brands make entry, mid level, and high end equipment. So don't be so quick to say "Brand X is waaaay better" or "Brand Y is reaaaally expensive".

9. May 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    taco_xr

taco_xr Member

Member:
    I'm running Hertz hi energy 6.5 components and rear coxials off Alpine PDX 150.4 They sound dope!

Products Discussed in

To Top