Pioneer NEX head unit AVIC-8000NEX

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
ñom ñom
BolsonShaft is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
BolsonShaft's Tacoma Gallery
Pioneer NEX head unit AVIC-8000NEX

Upgrading the 2014 Taco head unit to this new Pioneer head unit (Advertised on Pioneer.com for $1,400)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...X/AVIC-8000NEX

I found it on Amazon for a few hundred dollars less expensive ($940.16)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently it works with Apple CarPlay and I have read some really good reviews on the touch screen and all the apps.

Additionally bought the Steering wheel control interface and XM radio connector:

If anyone has installed this model or one of the similar models on their Taco, any info is appreciated.

Will be installing it this weekend and will update with pics and info.

Also, you think anyone would want to buy my stock tacoma radio?

Its this one right here:

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I've installed tons of AVIC's. They install just like a normal stere, but have more shit to cram into the dash. Really with how much room we have in our dash its not that big of a task to get it all working and installed.

If you have the JBL system you'll want to get the adapter so it uses the sub/amp combo. If you don't have the JBL system then you just need a standard adapter that Toyota has been using since the 80's. I found them online for about $10.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
ranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brian
ranger098's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a NEX4000, went pretty smooth. go to avic411.com and look into the parking brake bypass mod, its super easy for your unit, and if i remember right you dont have to buy anything. just ground the parking brake wire and touch in a certain spot on the screen to access some hidden menu or something. This will enable you to enter addresses while driving, and alot more. It's a bit crammed back behind the unit, and really tough to find good routing for the wires if running amp cables and stuff, but its not too bad.

I mounted by mic just above the engine temp guage in the insturment cluster and everyone tells me i sound great. Its far away from the windows and about as close to your head as possible. No yelling into the mic either. Also super easy to mount it there and cram the wire above the heat/ac vent and over to the head unit.

One downside is that the screen is a little tough to see in the sunlight, but thats an issue with our truck design, you'd have that with any double din unit. Im thinking of trying to make some kinda visor thatll block the sun, but im pretty sure I wont be able to make anything that looks decent enough to keep there.

So far i love my new unit and cannot wait for Carplay! The main reason i bought this thing.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest getting a relay for the park bypass. I've grounded HU's and used relays in the past. I've seen a few HU's die due to the grounded wire, while never once having any issues with the relay bypass. Things may of changed with newer units but the relay is a safe way to bypass. When spending $1400 on a HU, whats another $10 to make sure it doesn't die?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #5
ñom ñom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
I would suggest getting a relay for the park bypass. I've grounded HU's and used relays in the past. I've seen a few HU's die due to the grounded wire, while never once having any issues with the relay bypass. Things may of changed with newer units but the relay is a safe way to bypass. When spending $1400 on a HU, whats another $10 to make sure it doesn't die?
Thanks for the tip- I will follow your advice and avoid any grief from a dead battery.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
ñom ñom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger098 View Post
I just installed a NEX4000, went pretty smooth. go to avic411.com and look into the parking brake bypass mod, its super easy for your unit, and if i remember right you dont have to buy anything. just ground the parking brake wire and touch in a certain spot on the screen to access some hidden menu or something. This will enable you to enter addresses while driving, and alot more. It's a bit crammed back behind the unit, and really tough to find good routing for the wires if running amp cables and stuff, but its not too bad.

I mounted by mic just above the engine temp guage in the insturment cluster and everyone tells me i sound great. Its far away from the windows and about as close to your head as possible. No yelling into the mic either. Also super easy to mount it there and cram the wire above the heat/ac vent and over to the head unit.

One downside is that the screen is a little tough to see in the sunlight, but thats an issue with our truck design, you'd have that with any double din unit. Im thinking of trying to make some kinda visor thatll block the sun, but im pretty sure I wont be able to make anything that looks decent enough to keep there.

So far i love my new unit and cannot wait for Carplay! The main reason i bought this thing.

Im gonna buy the PB bypass, that is a great recommendation. Thanks for the tip- saving me a lot of time here.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
ranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shedranger098 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
You could also get a bypass off ebay... just saying cuz i bought a 4 plug relay from RadioShack and followed the instructions everyone said on how to bypass (multiple sites with the same info) and it didnt work for some reason. got a bypass on ebay and it worked right away. Same grounds and everything, it just seemed like i got the wrong relay or something. Also the ebay bypass is smaller and fits easier in the dash. I paid 9.00 for the ebay bypass and 6 at radioshack, so not much price difference either.

Also, your truck is sick.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #8
That one guy

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You could also get a bypass off ebay... just saying cuz i bought a 4 plug relay from RadioShack and followed the instructions everyone said on how to bypass (multiple sites with the same info) and it didnt work for some reason. got a bypass on ebay and it worked right away. Same grounds and everything, it just seemed like i got the wrong relay or something. Also the ebay bypass is smaller and fits easier in the dash. I paid 9.00 for the ebay bypass and 6 at radioshack, so not much price difference either.

The ebay ones are great and like Ranger said $9 and reduces the headache. I'd go that route.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
I have this unit in my 2010. Get the scoshe trim kit. I'm using PAC audio of the steering wheel control interface and the JBL interface. I did ground the parking brake and you do have to turn off the unit and hold a finger on the bottom left of the screen until it says off to bypass the parking brake sensor. It sometimes tells me that I have the PB wire hooked up incorrectly so I will looking into a PB bypass kit with a relay.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:34 PM   #10
ñom ñom

Quote:

Ranger!

Thanks man...can you PLEASE send me a link from ebay with the bypass that you are referring to? That would be so helpful. Thanks!!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scosche

Metra:

Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
ñom ñom

The Scosche Dash Kit looks nice!

I would like to buy that.

However, Here is my question though.

Will the Pioneer head unit work with the factory dash kit?

Here is the photo of my h/u and factory dash kit:

Thanks
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
It wasn't a rock...

I think stock is one piece.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:18 AM   #15
ñom ñom

Ok, I made a decision an bought this dash kit directly from Scosche since it was the only place where I could find it in black to match the same dash kit color that I currently have: (Its was available on Amazon cheaper but only silver)

http://www.scosche.com/2012-toyota-t...it-piano-black
Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #16
Insert Member joke here
Richie Rich is on a distinguished road
Richie Rich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BolsonShaft View Post
Ok, I made a decision an bought this dash kit directly from Scosche since it was the only place where I could find it in black to match the same dash kit color that I currently have: (Its was available on Amazon cheaper but only silver)

http://www.scosche.com/2012-toyota-t...it-piano-black
Anybody know if this will fit the pre 2012 trucks?

I have a Metra kit in my 2010 since it was the only black one available. Fit on it is HORRIBLE with my older AVIC unit. Not angled correctly to the top of the dash and the clips holding it to the dash do not engage all the way. I find myself having to push it back on a couple of times a day.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #17
ñom ñom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Rich View Post
Anybody know if this will fit the pre 2012 trucks?

I have a Metra kit in my 2010 since it was the only black one available. Fit on it is HORRIBLE with my older AVIC unit. Not angled correctly to the top of the dash and the clips holding it to the dash do not engage all the way. I find myself having to push it back on a couple of times a day.

Check here: http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/installation/dash-kits
Old 08-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #18
ñom ñom

Got my head unit today!

Old 08-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #19
ñom ñom

Got the dash kit:

Packaging:

Dash Kit:

Dash Kit fitted with H/U

Mount + extra accessory for non-DINs

OEM DASH KIT VS AFTERMARKET COMPARISON:

Old 08-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #20
sorry for just seeing this now, I was in Canada for a bit there.

The one i got doesnt say itll work with your 8000, you have nav and things are a little different, but this one is "guaranteed" by the guy selling it that it works with your unit. Mine also was 11.99 but i made a best offer of 9.00 and he accepted it... so you should be able to do the same.

I got the Metra black dash kit and like it alot, but its all personal preference there.

Keep us posted on the install!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-BRAK...item35d9594d30

Products Discussed in this Thread