1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB Experts-Need Help

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by dispatch55126, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Aug 21, 2014 at 3:16 PM
    dispatch55126

dispatch55126 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2004 Xtracab SR5
    Complete OME kit w/ 881's and dakars. All-Pro Sliders, CB, HAM Radio and various other minor stuff.
    I have a Uniden 980SSB with 18' of coaxial cable running to a Firestik Stud Mount and Antenna. The coaxial is straight with no loops or cuts to the cable. I had it tuned so that Ch.1 and Ch.40 had a SWR of 1.0. Then suddenly, it quit working, even NOAA. Diagnostics revealed that both the antenna and RF out failed.

Figuring that it was a bad stud, I replaced the stud and NOAA now works and I pass the RF out test. However, the antenna still fails. I show a SWR of 6.50 on Ch.1 and 8.50 on Ch.40. I've cleaned the area to get a good ground. I've also added a chassis ground near the stud but nothing I do changes the SWR. I've even tried different antennas but everything I do fails to adjust the SWR.

2. Aug 23, 2014 at 4:37 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    Sounds like it could possibly be a bad connection in your coax. Even though everything looks fine you could have a break in a connector. You have a dummy load you could try?

Products Discussed in

To Top