Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

I think my alternator is going. What are my options?

Old 08-26-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I think my alternator is going. What are my options?

I was playing some music on a drive today, and when stopped in traffic, the amps would go into protect mode. My Scangauge read 10.4V. It's the 110a alternator, and I've beat on it plenty. I have a Yellow Top too, so I need something with some beef. Amps can pull up to 160A, and I need the truck to run too. So 200A at idle would probably be good. What are my options here?
Old 08-26-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I take mine to a shop and have them rebuilt for more output. Takes more time but it's worth it if the shop does good work.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
ZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZMan2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not worried about pulling it, that's the easy part. Looks like I have some shop homework to do, have to find a good one I guess. Any drop in options?
Old 08-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #5
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan2k2 View Post
I'm not worried about pulling it, that's the easy part. Looks like I have some shop homework to do, have to find a good one I guess. Any drop in options?
Here you go http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/mar...available.html

here is a good thread.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #6

ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
Old 08-28-2014, 10:41 AM   #7

ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Just ordered a 250A alt. from BamaToy1997. Should be enough.. I'll post pics when it arrives, as well as install. Good thing too, cruising yesterday when it was hot, I was getting 12.9V on the Scangauge. That's with the stereo turned down to 7 on the deck, without the bass turned up. I'm definitely ready for an upgrade.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMan2k2 View Post
Just ordered a 250A alt. from BamaToy1997. Should be enough.. I'll post pics when it arrives, as well as install. Good thing too, cruising yesterday when it was hot, I was getting 12.9V on the Scangauge. That's with the stereo turned down to 7 on the deck, without the bass turned up. I'm definitely ready for an upgrade.
are you running an amp too? Could always add a capacitor inline to power the amp.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #9

ZMan2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I've got two amps that can draw at max. 160A. I've always been of the camp that capacitors really do nothing, and are just another item for your charging system to deal with. I've got a Yellow Top battery, so that, IMO, is good enough for those heavy, quick draws of power. But, with the truck being an '06, and me having pounded on the alt. for years, I'm surprised the 90A alt. that's in there currently, has lasted this long. With the new alt. I won't have any more concerns.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #10
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
It does sound like your alternator is going out. I run a 400watt Class A/B amp and a 600watt Class D, 4 sets of HID's, CB, etc, etc, etc.

I've never seen my alternator drop below 13.2 when pushing everything as hard as I can. I have the 130amp alternator.