1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is the JBL upgrade worth the $1000 or so

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Mulie, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:22 PM
    Mulie

Mulie [OP] Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    I am looking to purchase a 2015 DCSB and am trying to decide whether to bite the bullet and go for the JBL upgrade or just go with the entune premium. I anticipate keeping this truck for a number of years and I am willing to part with the extra bucks if there is a worth while difference in sound quality and functionality.

If anyone who has the JBL system would care to comment, I would sure like your thoughts on it.

Thanks

2. Aug 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    HELL NO. Stick to the basic system and upgrade it. If any of the JBL comppnenets go bad, not only are the parts expensive but if you ever want to upgrade down the road you will be in a world of suck.

3. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:02 PM
    tpham55

tpham55 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Texas Edition
    I bought my 2013 tacoma used and the previous owner had the JBL upgrade installed. I have to say I love the way the speakers sound. Whenever a song with a lot bass comes on it sounds like there is a little 10in sub hidden some where in my truck.

4. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM
    Friedtacolover

Friedtacolover Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB Off Road 4x4
    my build tread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/socal-no-shame-poser-build.513084/
    Buy it! The system rocks well worth it. Mine sounds like I have a sub in the car. I like that its all Toyota integrated. If you dont mind aftermarket you could install speakers for 600 for same sound in sure.

5. Sep 2, 2014 at 9:44 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    After installing aftermarket audio equipment in all of my previous cars, I decided that I wanted to stay factory this time around so I bought the JBL in my 2013.

The JBL upgrade isn't going to win any sound competitions, but it gets the job done. The sound is full and rich but limited by the 3 frequency equalizer in the stock deck.

You can definitely get a better stereo if you save your money and go aftermarket, but the JBL system in the truck is better than all of the Bose systems I have heard in other cars. For that reason I don't plan to upgrade the system in my truck for a while. I do need to get some rattle mat and sound deadening foam installed to stop the rattles when the volume is turned up. I think that alone will make it a much better system.

Bottom line, if you want factory integration JBL is the way to go and worth the money. If you want pure sound quality, go aftermarket.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  6. Sep 3, 2014 at 7:23 AM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    I had the JBL in my '09 PreRunner OR and it sounded o.k. until the sub started buzzing and always humming. The other thing I didn't like about it was it stuck out in the back seat area of my AC which was a real PITA, plus the fact that I couldn't adjust it. Not sure if the new ones are different.

After I traded it in for my '14 4x4 ACOR I didn't want the JBL. I figured I would just upgrade to what I want. Now I have good speakers and a mini-amp that sounds just as good as the JBL. imo

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  7. Sep 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM
    Djg21

Djg21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saratoga, NY
    I just got JBL in my 2014 DCSB.

It sounds very clean, and with the sub under the back seat has plenty of bass. The local car audio shop installer who has done my custom work on my previous cars listened and was impressed with it. He suggested maybe adding some sound deadener to the cab, but otherwise found the system more than ample.

The reality is that no auto is going to allow a true audiophile listening experience.

8. Sep 4, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    Mulie

Mulie [OP] Member

Member:
    So. Cal
    Thanks guys for the input. I went to my local dealer today and finally got the salesman to let me listen to the two systems without him running his mouth trying to sell me a truck.
    I must say the entune premium system sounded pretty flat. Where as the JBL system sounded very full and nice. I have decided to go with the JBL system because it sounds pretty darned good and it is nicely integrated into the vehicle.
    On a second note, I asked the salesman to call me when they got a Pro in. He didn't know what a Pro was and had never heard of it. He seems like a nice guy, but it would sure be nice if the Toyota people knew what the h.... was going on within the company.

9. Oct 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM
    Crashmaxwell

Crashmaxwell Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Crash
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4 TRD Off Road
    I've had my 2013 with JBL for 3 months now and I like it a lot. I've also have installed aftermarket systems in my past trucks and was skeptical at first that the Factory JBL would deliver. I have to say that I am not disappointed. I listen to mostly loud Metal and the system gives a good kick of bass, nice mids, and great sounding highs. I like that it is still all factory, just hope it lasts.

10. Oct 1, 2014 at 11:22 AM
    teamcurtis

teamcurtis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC 4x4 Super white
    285/75/16, snugtop xtravision, pop-lock
    a grand would get you a very nice aftermarket set up...
    far nicer than any factory offering

600-750 for a gps headunit
    100-150 for a 4 channel amp
    100 for front speakers
    100 sub
    100 box
    1150 that would sound SOOOOOOO much better than the JBL

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  11. Oct 1, 2014 at 12:22 PM
    68vert

68vert Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    DCSB 4X
    I paid extra for the JBL plus had to wait over a month. It was worth it to me because I'm not into big bass audio but want a balanced sound thats factory installed. The JBL is really the only chance you have of being able to hear the factory stereo at any speed over 35 with the windows down. Like I said, its well balanced to provide pretty good imaging and has decent bass. Plus i dont have to worry about people wanting to steal my factory stereo.

Another reason I didnt want an aftermarket stereo is because I've taken these trucks apart and unless you have extra plastic clips on hand, don't count on all of them being fully seated back in tight or at all.

My brother owns a stereo biz in Phx so I could've scored some sweet stuff for the cost of the JBL but I chose the OEM route because of the reasons I listed.

Products Discussed in

To Top