1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CB Radio Brake Booster Interference

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MuddyTRD, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sep 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    newertoy

newertoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    2" lift AAL and Bilstiens-front-rear,front diff drop. main drive drop
    Shoot me a PM if I do not reply-sometimes I forget to check my posts.

2. Sep 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM
    MuddyTRD

MuddyTRD [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Offroad
    Checked out the brake booster quickly before dark, way too much going on electrically with that thing. I'll just have to grab a piece of wire and make a temp ground strap for testing purposes and see what happens.

3. Sep 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM
    newertoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    Good idea-don't over do it--it may not make a difference.

4. Sep 3, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    thekernel114

thekernel114 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chilliwack, B.C.
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma 4x4
    allpro long travel, shackle flip with ome dakars, cruisin offroad bumpers and sliders, 4.88 gears with arb's front and rear, budbuilt skids.
    new taco's have a electric booster? boosters run off engine vacuum on our trucks. are you sure your not mistaking it for the abs block?

5. Sep 4, 2014 at 1:48 AM
    MuddyTRD

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Offroad
    It's a 2014 OR I have read that it has an electric booster due to the ATRAC stuff it's got going on.

6. Sep 4, 2014 at 7:08 AM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    I have the same problem. ... checked all the grounds with a multimeter and all checked out ok, and I'm powering directly from battery and first point of ground from battery... also had a local cb shop take a look and the conclusion is that I have one of my coax cables (I'm running dual antennas) zipped tied to the harness that runs by the firewall and the power running tru it when the brake pump/booster kicks in is greater than what the insulation of the coax can isolate so I get that noice...
    As of right now I'm only using the cb on wheeling trips and the other cbs are always pretty close so I'm running the squelch really low and the sound is gone...Ive actually made contact at about 5 miles before I had to raise the squelch and then I start experiencing the noise so I run it really really low...
    I will be re routing the one coax differently and see how much it helps at some point...

7. Sep 4, 2014 at 8:56 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    I may have misunderstood; I thought you were talking about interference from an aftermarket electric trailer brake controller?

If you're just talking about the factory ABS brake controller - it IS wired up properly and don't mess with it.

8. Sep 7, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    newertoy

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    East Tn
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 extra cab
    Any update???

9. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    MuddyTRD

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Offroad
    Not yet still need to try a ground strap on the brake booketer hopefully I can try this afternoon.

10. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    I personally wouldn't mess with the booster. You're running a small radio with poor noise suppression. I hear my ABS through mine. I was near a city bus just the other day and it set my radio off with a ton of noise. It's a normal part of having a CB. My suggestion: move everything as far away from the truck electronics, power straight from the battery and make sure your antenna is grounded well. Or: get a better radio and antenna.

11. Sep 9, 2014 at 2:51 PM
    MuddyTRD

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Offroad
    I ran a piece of wire from the booster bracket to a ground, made no difference. Other than that one noise everything else is quite quiet, relatively speaking.

12. Sep 28, 2014 at 3:10 PM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
    Buy better transmit cable! Better insulation on your antenna cable will isolate your antenna from this noise better. Re route your antenna cable away from all other wire bundles and once you have everything set with an SWR meter adjust the squelch and live with it.

13. Sep 28, 2014 at 4:33 PM
    VenturaSuperMagna

VenturaSuperMagna Loving Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Go Rhino D2 Stainless Steel steps, Gator FX3 Tonneau Cover, in bed battery powered Led light, Pop and lock power tailgate lock, keyed locks for all 5 storage compartments, in window channel rain deflectors, front hood bug deflector, weather tech floor mats. More to come...
  14. Sep 29, 2014 at 8:19 AM
    MuddyTRD

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD Offroad
    As I said, the antenna was not hooked up to any cable, so I doubt cable quality has anything to do with that specifically. I have ditched the Midlands radio for a small Cobra that has better noise reduction across the board and that helps, but I don't think anything reasonable is going to get rid of the brake noise. Its really just a "use it a couple days of the year" type of install.

15. Sep 29, 2014 at 12:43 PM
    V5ioV

V5ioV My drinking team has a wheeling problem

Member:
    First Name:
    V5ioV
    Out n 'bout
    Vehicle:
    '13 Pewp Water Slut
    King 2.5 Rem Resi Ext Travel w/comp adj w/700# springs, TC Uni-Ball UCAs, ARB/OME Dakar Leaf Springs w/ King 2.5 Rem Resi w/comp adj and custm eyelets, Stealth Custom Series F-5 Wheels wrapped on: 285/75/16 Fierce Attitudes, BORA 2.25 wheel spacers, GOODRIDGE extended Brake lines, Triple-6" Double Row LED Light Bars behind lower grill, ATFL MOD, TRD Ball Type Shift Knob, Husky WeatherBeater Floor Liners, 60'' HiLift Xtreme, 4xInnovations Bolt-On Sliders w/Kickout, Spring Hanger Skid, Custom BlackPipe Fabs CMC and custom FYL Bed Rack, CVT Mt. Shasta RTT, Trasharoo, 4xInnovations HiLift Bedside Mounts, 4xInnovations Front Skid Plate, TOYWERX Ghost Raptor thin-lip Satoshi Grill, RedLine Hood Struts, 4xInnovations Transmission Skid and T-Case Skid Plates, Wheelers Rear SuperBumps Bump Stops, All-Pro Off Road U-Bolt Flip Kit, UltraGauge, ARB OBA, Pelfreybilt HC rear Bumper, Rotopax system (Single Mounting Plate and Bed Rail Mounting Plate both with LOX handles.
    poor quality cable would have poor insulation… so in turn, it can pick up magnetic energy from the pump or harness…

16. Oct 1, 2014 at 2:11 PM
    boostbaron

boostbaron Well-Known Member

Member:
    City of Wind
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    I have a 13' TRD OR and i had the same issue with my radio. I'm running a Galaxy 979 and the radio got the interference from the brake booster on every 3rd push of the pedal. I also had problem with the interference from my HID headlights. I got my radio tuned and peaked and also had a resistor put in to keep the interference noise down. Now i can run my radio and HID's at the same time and the brake booster noise has gone down to being barely noticible. I can still hear it but its minimal. Hope this helps you out.

17. Feb 25, 2017 at 8:15 AM
    gator83

gator83 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    12 Off-road Tacoma
    I had the same issue. I'll spare you the details from months of trouble shooting and go straight to what my fix was.
    I was low on break fluid!! This cause the oscillating frequency of the break lines when the motor for the accumulator would kick in.
    This oscillation cause by accumulator is a know issue and is considered in industrial applications.
    Check your break fluid level. It may be time to change breaks or you may have a leak but your cb may be cured.

18. Feb 23, 2019 at 9:48 AM
    Johnboy4th

Johnboy4th New Member

Member:
    Same problems here. I have a 2009 TRD and a Cobra 75wx CB. I ran 18 feet of shielded coax from the front ARB antenna mount, along the passenger side, across the firewall, then through the firewall with the umbilical cord on the driver’s side. I leached onto a power source and experienced the same blast of static whenever I hit the brakes or Variable Steering Control activates.

I rerouted the shielded cable to pass along passenger side of engine and through passenger side umbilical cord preferarion in the firewall. I also isolated power to run straight to the battery.

Same result of static, albeit less profound. Front breaks were services since and no change either.

Products Discussed in

To Top