1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What Head Unit? Need advice for my 2006 Taco

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by jpachard, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:20 AM
    jpachard

jpachard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4WD 4.0L Tacoma 6spd TRD
    Sooo, I want to get a new head unit for my truck and I'm a complete noob in this subject matter so here goes... Below I have listed my needs etc. What would the collective wisdom recommend? I need something that has navigation, the ability to charge and play music from my iPhone(5s) and mirror apps if possible. I'd also like to be able to view topo maps if that's even available. I don't need tons of fancy stuff like play DVD's etc.

I'm looking at the
    Blaupunkt San Diego 530 and was wondering if there are any other units I should be considering? The budget is 500.00 or less if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

James

2. Sep 15, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Most of the stuff you want is going to get you over the $500 tag really fast.

Blaupunkt used to be good in the 80's. I'm really not sure if they are good or not anymore. I've not seen anyone use one in ages.

I'd look at Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood. It's just going to be a budget concern after that.

3. Sep 16, 2014 at 11:48 AM
    adrenalnjunky

adrenalnjunky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    billie 5100's front @ .85"
    I think for your price range, you're going to probably need something that can mirror your phone, and use it for the map viewing/navigation.

Everything is a tradeoff under $500 - the Blaupunkt you mention doesn't have ipod control - which is one of your major wants. The specs on that unit are also a little skimpy other than the Navigation feature. At least the Maps are using TomTom data.

But this feature alone would drive me bonkers about that unit: Start Up Time: The Blaupunkt San Diego 530 has a start up time of approximately 50.1 seconds from off to the Map screen or 10.3 seconds from off to an AV source screen.

4. Sep 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM
    adrenalnjunky

adrenalnjunky Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 DCSB
    billie 5100's front @ .85"
    Using Crutchfield as search engine - here's a listing of dual din navi units that control ipod/iphone.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/Al...=AG_iPod/iPhone Control|FFiPhone_5_Compatible

The price winner is the Jensen VX7020, checks all your boxes, adds bluetooth, DVD, Sirius ready, steering wheel control capable (with adapter), and it is cheaper than the Blau. You can get it under $300 at Amazon,but with Crutchfield's included dash kit and wiring harness adapters, it's probably worth the extra $49.

Is the quality there - I guess that's up to you. worst-case scenario, sell it and get something else.

Personally I've been shopping for the Kenwood Excelon DNX-890 (refurbed) - they have it for $699, but you can find it on amazon and ebay for your $500 pricepoint. there's a couple of sellers that charge a little more for it, and offer the full original manufacturer warranty. Your call though.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Sep 17, 2014 at 2:18 AM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    I just installed a kenwood ddx5901hd. I love it. Wish I did it sooner!!!!! That being said, you can mirror and control from the head unit using android but from what I understand (I could be wrong) if using an iPhone, you will not have complete control fromt he head unit. Only on certain apps like waze.

6. Sep 17, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    jpachard

jpachard [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 4WD 4.0L Tacoma 6spd TRD
    Hey Guys, thanks for all the great responses. I'll take a look at the ones suggested above.

Cheers, James

7. Feb 8, 2016 at 9:53 PM
    thebaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    I'm still loving my Kenwood. No issues for me so far. I'm not sure about using the factory Bluetooth mic. I'm using the supplied kenwwod mic that came with the unit, mounted it above the steering wheel column. Seems to work fine and very call has been fine. Hope this helps.

8. Feb 9, 2016 at 9:53 AM
    hyper15125

hyper15125 Headlight Retrofitting Hobbyist Vendor

Member:
    NJ (609)
    Vehicle:
    ‘13 Taco,‘22 Hybridlander
    Thank you!

9. Feb 9, 2016 at 10:09 AM
    thebaker

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    No worries...if you have any more questions just ask!!!

10. Feb 14, 2016 at 5:24 PM
    13thBama

13thBama Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Blue Tacoma TRD Off Road
    How did you run the cable for the mic? Do I need to remove anything else from the console to get to it? I just installed a DNX692 and I left that off for now. I'll add the mic when I do the steering wheel control interface. I also have the USB replacement for down below the A/C controls that I'll add.

Products Discussed in

To Top