Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

What Head Unit? Need advice for my 2006 Taco

Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #1
jpachard is on a distinguished road
EMS:
jpachard's Tacoma Gallery
What Head Unit? Need advice for my 2006 Taco

Sooo, I want to get a new head unit for my truck and I'm a complete noob in this subject matter so here goes... Below I have listed my needs etc. What would the collective wisdom recommend? I need something that has navigation, the ability to charge and play music from my iPhone(5s) and mirror apps if possible. I'd also like to be able to view topo maps if that's even available. I don't need tons of fancy stuff like play DVD's etc.

I'm looking at the
Blaupunkt San Diego 530 and was wondering if there are any other units I should be considering? The budget is 500.00 or less if at all possible.

Thanks in advance!

James
Old 09-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Most of the stuff you want is going to get you over the $500 tag really fast.

Blaupunkt used to be good in the 80's. I'm really not sure if they are good or not anymore. I've not seen anyone use one in ages.

I'd look at Pioneer, Alpine and Kenwood. It's just going to be a budget concern after that.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
adrenalnjunky will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
adrenalnjunky's Tacoma Gallery
I think for your price range, you're going to probably need something that can mirror your phone, and use it for the map viewing/navigation.

Everything is a tradeoff under $500 - the Blaupunkt you mention doesn't have ipod control - which is one of your major wants. The specs on that unit are also a little skimpy other than the Navigation feature. At least the Maps are using TomTom data.

But this feature alone would drive me bonkers about that unit: Start Up Time: The Blaupunkt San Diego 530 has a start up time of approximately 50.1 seconds from off to the Map screen or 10.3 seconds from off to an AV source screen.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
adrenalnjunky will become famous soon enough
Name: Chris
adrenalnjunky's Tacoma Gallery
Using Crutchfield as search engine - here's a listing of dual din navi units that control ipod/iphone.

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_300/All...e_5_Compatible

The price winner is the Jensen VX7020, checks all your boxes, adds bluetooth, DVD, Sirius ready, steering wheel control capable (with adapter), and it is cheaper than the Blau. You can get it under $300 at amazon,but with Crutchfield's included dash kit and wiring harness adapters, it's probably worth the extra $49.

Is the quality there - I guess that's up to you. worst-case scenario, sell it and get something else.

Personally I've been shopping for the Kenwood Excelon DNX-890 (refurbed) - they have it for $699, but you can find it on amazon and ebay for your $500 pricepoint. there's a couple of sellers that charge a little more for it, and offer the full original manufacturer warranty. Your call though.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:18 AM   #5
thebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura aboutthebaker has a spectacular aura about

Name: Byron
thebaker's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a kenwood ddx5901hd. I love it. Wish I did it sooner!!!!! That being said, you can mirror and control from the head unit using android but from what I understand (I could be wrong) if using an iPhone, you will not have complete control fromt he head unit. Only on certain apps like waze.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 AM   #6
jpachard is on a distinguished road
EMS:
jpachard's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Guys, thanks for all the great responses. I'll take a look at the ones suggested above.

Cheers, James