1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

iPad mini install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by shaneckc, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Nov 2, 2014 at 9:07 PM
    n.gardner

n.gardner Spacer Hater

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '13 SR5 4x4
    OME 3" 887s + Dakars 1" 4 Crawler BL Pro-Comp Uniballs Nitrochargers + Super Bumps Diff Drop + Drive Shaft Drop
    this is bad ass, does the Bluetooth and steering wheel controls still work?

2. Nov 2, 2014 at 11:29 PM
    Hunter.V.White

Hunter.V.White Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Fairbanks, AK
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC 4WD TRD-Off Road
    Pelfreybilt Steel Armor, Famous Fabrication Sliders, OME 3" Lift, 886x coils, Dakar Leaf Packs, TC UCA's, Fuel D551 Wheels, 285/70/R17 Toyo Tech RTs, Warn Zeon 10s Winch, Rigid Industries 20" E2 Flood, RI 20" SR Spot/flood, RI Duallys, SwitchPro SP8100, Uniden Bearcat 680 CB Radio.
    Yes. They work by utilizing a Sony radio, wired to the steering wheel controls, mounted in the dash behind the iPad Mini. The Sony App Remote is used to control the Sony Radio through the iPad (hard wired via USB cable from the iPad to the radio). So in essence, the steering wheel controls can adjust the volume heard in the truck, even though the music source is coming from the iPad (or AUX).

3. Dec 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc [OP] Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Bump to help promote my holiday group buy for these!

4. Dec 16, 2014 at 1:10 PM
    two24studios

two24studios Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport DCSB
    Love this... definitely something I want to do to my truck.

5. Dec 26, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
  6. Jan 6, 2015 at 11:16 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Current production batch should be done in two weeks. Looking to fill up the list for the next one. New features will be available in that batch, as well.

7. Jan 19, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    Pcyc

Pcyc Self Proclaimed Leader

Member:
    First Name:
    Fritz
    Concord, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 DCSB TRD OR - Supercharged - Dual Cased - Twin Sticked
    https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcyc-fj40-build.444289/ https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/pcycs-2nd-gen-build.308160/
    So they are in paint?

8. Jan 19, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    Good work Shane

9. Feb 20, 2015 at 7:11 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
  10. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:21 AM
    TacomaWashington

TacomaWashington Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD 6 spd
    Hmm so nobody cares about radio anymore I'm guessing? Like the am/fm radio? I guess of course you can run an app like iheart/espn radio or something like that? Also no one wants to put in DVD in to their deck (I don't watch movies in my truck ever either)? I know you can put movies onto the ipad but its such a pain getting them on there. Unless you pay top dollar for everything in the itunes store this is a difficult process. I guess my biggest problem is that apple restricts your gigs so much on their devices. The media you can get on there is limited. I have a 32 gig and I'm stuck with that forever unless I want to use icloud. Also i'm assuming you'd have to have the 3g ipad too or else your navi wouldn't work and neither would pandora. Oh and your navi will only work in cell phone areas unlike harnessing the power of satellite? If you don't have the 3g ipad You could use the hot spot from the phone but again that would be cumbersome and eat all my limited data. I guess I just really want this to work but don't see it very fluent yet. Hate to sound like a debby downer because it looks awesome those are just some initial thoughts someone please tell me I'm wrong.

11. Feb 27, 2015 at 9:39 AM
    B737

B737 Throbbing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Jersey Shore
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Double Cab Limited
    stock
    can you read? ...like anything in this thread, anything at all?

no

also wrong

sounds like this kit isnt for you. maybe just stick with run of the mill headunits, crappy dash kits, or stock entune :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  12. Feb 27, 2015 at 5:29 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Actually, in most applications I deal with, a Sony head unit is used behind the iPad. This provides support for sources like AM/FM/HD/SAT radio, iPod / USB input, AUX in, CD player, bluetooth audio, and bluetooth hands free streaming. The iPad interface for iHeart radio is pretty user friendly, though, so it's nice to have that as an option, assuming you have good data reception

I had a 7" Kenwood reciever in my last truck for about 4 years. I'm not sure if I ever once put a DVD into that thing to watch it. Any time I played movies for my passengers on road trips, I'd just pre-load a few onto my iPod. I agree that using iCloud and the iTunes store for all of your media can be a huge pain in the ass, which is why I avoid it as much as possible. I invested in the 128gb iPad for this reason. But not everyone is going to need that much space. Most users stream their music already as it is. So I can store a few movies if I wanted to. But If you have a data connection, you can just stream from netflix, or something similar, and have a whole library of movies to select from.

I DID get the cellular iPad, but I DO NOT use it on its own data plan. I bought the cellular iPad because it has a built in GPS receiver. Which connects to the same GPS networks as most other GPS receivers, which gives you the same coverage as any GPS receiver for your navi. If you do not have the cellular iPad, you can use something like the Garmin GLO as an external GPS receiver, so that a data connection is not needed to support navi. You'll also need an app that allows you to pre-load maps. There are a few good ones out there. For my data connection, I tether it to my phone. I upgraded my data plan a bit to support all of the streaming I do, but it's well worth it the extra few bucks a month.

Out of all of the head units that I've worked with, being involved in the automotive electronics industry for 6 years, having an iPad in the dash pretty much blows them all away. Aside from having a pretty much infinite amount of sources of entertainment / information at your fingertips, the display and user interface is what really sells me on it. I love having the iOS touch screen features in the dash. The Apple Retina display is 10x better than any screen you will see on any other in dash radio for years to come. Features like auto-brightness and Siri were practically meant to be used in your car. Even the user interface in apps like YouTube, Spotify, Soundcloud and many more offer a sleek, easy to use entertainment experience that almost everyone is familiar with. Almost every double din radio out there has a different user interface / directory system. I know there are a handful of people out there that can relate to me when I say how annoying (and kind of embarrassing in a way) it is when your friends / date / passengers have no idea where to begin when they want to search through the clunky menus of your radio to put some different music on. With an iPad in dash, you'll never run into that problem again. I took a road trip to Vegas last month with my girl and a couple friends. My girl is probably one of the least tech-savvy people I know, but with the iPad she was DJing, showing her friends YouTube videos, queuing up netflix, you name it. It seemed pretty "fluent" to me at that point ;)

13. Mar 2, 2015 at 8:44 AM
    TacomaWashington

TacomaWashington Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD 6 spd
    shaneckc Looks like you've answered all my concerns. I appreciate your help. This looks like the most awesome thing you can put in your truck! You are doing a lot to pioneer this for others, and I appreciate that. I am very interested but still apprehensive because I don't have experience with stereo electrical and installing.

14. Mar 2, 2015 at 9:49 AM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    That's part of the reason why I offer complete kits with radios & all components required to get a setup like this working. I can wire up whatever configuration you need for your truck / setup and it's basically just plug and play. I've also been known to provide over the phone tech support and installation walk throughs if you're having trouble with it. With the set ups that I sell, installing one in your truck is easier than changing your oil.

I also solder every wiring connection made in the wiring harness. That is a quality standard that will have a hard time finding in pretty much any stereo shop nowadays.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  15. Mar 3, 2015 at 5:33 AM
    Cboltstacos

Cboltstacos New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Britton
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sprt 4x4
    Hey, so I got a 15 with JBL/Nav and want to replace everything how would this work would I need a head unit behind it what about nav and all!? This is actually awesome if I could do this set up and not buy a new HU save a lot of money!?

Cbolt

16. Mar 5, 2015 at 10:35 AM
    TacomaWashington

TacomaWashington Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma TRD 6 spd
    shaneckc how much do the "plug and play" units cost? this wouldn't include an ipad obviously and wouldn't have a head unit for am/fm usb, etc, right?

17. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:50 AM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    You could potentially sink the factory head unit further back into the dash by modifying your mounting brackets. I'm not sure if this would give you enough room to fit the iPad kit, though. If it works, you could just plug the iPad into the USB for the head unit by moving that plug behind the dash, and it should work pretty well.

Your other option is to go with a new radio set up. There are a few options, and you'll need a data integration module for that pesky JBL system in your truck. Email me for more details and pricing.

Shaneckcondon@gmail.com

18. Mar 5, 2015 at 11:59 AM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    I do sell the Sony head units that I recommend. This makes it easier for me to pre-wire everything for a true 'plug and play' setup. Email me for more info and pricing. Shaneckcondon@gmail.com

Please include answers to the following questions;
    Does your truck have steering wheel controls?
    Does your truck have JBL?
    Do you want a secondary USB input to the radio (yes, can be used for an iPod controlled by the iPad)
    Do you want a front loading or a rear loading kit?
    What color would you like your kit painted?

19. Mar 31, 2015 at 7:20 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Bump for spring group buy

20. May 21, 2015 at 3:12 PM
    Ernesto4

Ernesto4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Hollywood
    Vehicle:
    15 Tacoma access cab 5 lug SR5
    If I have a backup camera connected to my current head unit, is there any way possible to still be able to use it wit my iPad if I install one of these mounts???

Products Discussed in

To Top