Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

iPad mini install

Old 09-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #1
Fyntünd Designs
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
iPad mini install

Thought I'd start a thread to document my iPad mini install in my 2014 double cab. Upon final installation I will have successfully done the following:
-Installed iPad in place of the factory radio and tastefully modified the dash to achieve a 'factory' look.
-Created some form of security to ensure the iPad cannot be easily removed from the dash.
-Retained steering wheel control functionality.
-Retained hands-free calling functionality for cellular phone (iPhone)
-Obtained a digital optical sound output from iPad to my Audison Bit One processor.

I'll be using the 128gb Cellular iPad mini so that I can store my lossless music library on the iPad itself (not in iCloud)

EDIT:

Well, I didn't do much documenting on here, but here's how it turned out.

Check out my for sale thread if you're interested in ordering one. I'm also making these for the 2005-2011 models. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...-v-system.html
Old 09-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
I'm lost
1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed1993t100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Big Sexy
1993t100's Tacoma Gallery
soundmanca.com
Old 09-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #3
Fyntünd Designs
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993t100 View Post
soundmanca.com
Yeah, I've seen their stuff. I've gotten a few ideas from them but I'm not impressed with their work. Their quality of workmanship is mediocre at best, their iPad installation products are insanely overpriced, and their method of retaining steering wheel controls is very poor in my opinion.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Fyntünd Designs

Some progress today.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #5
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work. Looking forward to see it finished.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
CVTejas
CVTejas is on a distinguished road
Name: Charles
CVTejas's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CVTejas
Where were you two months ago... This is what I wanted to do as well, but couldn't find the way to integrate the wiring so I installed the Kenwood DDX8901hd to integrate with my iPhone, and it's a major disappointment.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Fyntünd Designs

Started painting today. Going for something similar to the factory gloss black finish.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Fyntünd Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVTejas View Post
Where were you two months ago... This is what I wanted to do as well, but couldn't find the way to integrate the wiring so I installed the Kenwood DDX8901hd to integrate with my iPhone, and it's a major disappointment.
That's a pretty expensive unit. At least it's a kenwood. If you still want to do an iPad mini, I've streamlined the build process for this and I'll be taking orders after I have a finished product to show on here.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
gibby11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
gibby11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneckc View Post
That's a pretty expensive unit. At least it's a kenwood. If you still want to do an iPad mini, I've streamlined the build process for this and I'll be taking orders after I have a finished product to show on here.

I might be interested. What would be an estimated cost for all components (wiring and panel)?
Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
Fyntünd Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibby11 View Post
I might be interested. What would be an estimated cost for all components (wiring and panel)?
That will depend on what options you want and how you plan on setting up your sound system. (Steering Wheel controls, hands free Bluetooth calling from phone, aftermarket amplifier or factory speaker integration, other output options, custom painted kit, etc....). I'll likely sell everything pre-harnessed so it will actually be easier than installing an aftermarket radio.

A lot of work goes into making the dash kit. Haven't settled on any kind of pricing yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersx View Post
Nice work , starting to look great man.
Thanks! I should be done with the mounting in the next couple days. Trying to decide what to do with the paint.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
gibby11 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andrew
gibby11's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a great project. I have seen the SMCA kit and I agree with it being too pricey for a piece of plastic. Shoot me a PM when you decide on production. Looks like quality work, I'm excited for you
Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #13
Fyntünd Designs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibby11 View Post
Sounds like a great project. I have seen the SMCA kit and I agree with it being too pricey for a piece of plastic. Shoot me a PM when you decide on production. Looks like quality work, I'm excited for you
Thanks!

Yeah, the SMCA kits are all insanely overpriced. $250 for that stupid little tray that STILL requires an ass-load of fabrication work to mold into a dash piece seems pretty ridiculous. Whatever price range I decide on, I can already be sure that what I will be offering up will be worth the money, unlike their stuff.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #14
NfiniteZERO is on a distinguished road
Army: Military Police, 116 CBCT, IDARNG
Name: Matthew
NfiniteZERO's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd for future updates.

I do have a question - are you possibly considering a version that features a removable iPad mini?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I'm assuming this will not be removable?

Most important question I have is how do you do calls? The iPad is sending audio to the bit one via optical. I have a bit one and understand this completely. However, how do you negotiate calls through the iPad?
Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Fyntünd Designs

It will be able to slide out from the side after pulling the dash kit out. I have a few ideas for making that part an automated process for security and ease of access to the iPad, but it will not be cheap. The bluetooth calls will not be negotiated by the iPad itself. I am using a Parrot 3000 installed behind the iPad, wired to the Bit One's telephone inputs and controlled solely through the steering wheel controls.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #17
tacomaloha is on a distinguished road

Name: Danny
tacomaloha's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool! I've been brainstorming a build for a while too. Do you know of any way to integrate the factory back up camera to be used with the ipad?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:17 AM   #18
Fyntünd Designs

No, I don't think there is any good way to do that. I haven't really looked too far into it. I've never really considered adding a backup cam to any of my tacomas. They just aren't that big of trucks, I feel like it's unnecessary.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 AM   #19
MobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shedMobArmor is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joel
MobArmor's Tacoma Gallery

Sub'd
Old 09-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #20
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Ahhhhh I completely forgot about the telephone inputs on the bit 1. I installed it AGES ago and just completely blocked it out of my mind.