Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

stock stereo issues

Old 04-19-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
stock stereo issues

anyone else have any issues? my volume and tuning knob randomly stop working unless i tap the radio a couple of times. sometimes it shuts off for no reason as well
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
JeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shedJeffRock is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JeffRock's Tacoma Gallery
Call the dealer.. it's a defect. New radios are backordered for a month it seems though.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #3
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
There've been 'issues' with the 2009 factory radio units. Take it back to the dealership ...
Old 04-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
RoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
i didnt know if it was something that had to be present for them to fix. one time it crapped out and spit the cd out right as i was passing the dealership actually. then it worked perfectly as soon as i turned into it

any chance on getting a 6cd upgrade unit?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
the anti mpg
tacomajason is on a distinguished road
Air Force: E-4 2A551 Crew Cheif
tacomajason's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post

any chance on getting a 6cd upgrade unit?
no, they will replace your head unit with same one.

this problem is very wide spread, so i would imagine they would take your word for it without actually having to see the problem...
Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
i dropped it off at the dealer and explained the situation. Verdict to come in a couple hours.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
new radio is on order. I wouldnt have mentioned it if i didnt know others were having a problem. thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
apparently not. they want to send mine out for repairs. wtf. i said i am not driving around with a hole in the dash for a week, they said theres nothing they can do, thats what toyota wants to do wtf? how can this be?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
Robocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Robocop's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe as it appears there is a back order due to widespread problems Toyota is now opting to repair rather than replace. Maybe it is actually faster for the customer to have it repaired than it is to wait for Toyota to receive the back orders??

Lucky for me my dealer ordered the replacement head unit today without even inspecting my radio. He also claimed it was such a bad problem they are ordering replacements without inspecting the units for problems. He did not mention a long wait and made it seem as if the parts would arrive this week.

On a side note can anyone say if the actual amp is integrated into the actual receiver? I am curious if the amp is located seperate as I have not seen anything under my seats. I would hate to receive a new radio only to find it was the amp that was causing issues....In other words if the dealer claims to be ordering a new head unit will this also include a new amp??
Old 04-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
goyard4x is on a distinguished road
Navy: Boiler Tech
goyard4x's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, Just took mine in yesterday, they tried to blame using burned CD's. It was shutting off by itself, sometimes with just the radio on and no CD in it. They also said they thought it was a loose connection. I'll wait a week or two and take it back in to get it replaced, Thanks for the heads up as they totally acted as if they didn't know anything about this issue and now I know they did.

goyard4x
Old 04-28-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
well i just brought it in for the spring tsb and the guy said he had good news, they are just going to order a replacement. he called toyota and told them i wasnt too happy about driving around with no radio for a week+. They are 4 weeks back ordered currently he said. I said no problem.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #12
Griztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to beholdGriztaco is a splendid one to behold
Griztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Excellent new, glad to hear it. I havn't had any problems with my stock '08 luckily.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
Jimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimirich is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jimirich's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
well i just brought it in for the spring tsb and the guy said he had good news, they are just going to order a replacement. he called Toyota and told them i wasn't too happy about driving around with no radio for a week+. They are 4 weeks back ordered currently he said. I said no problem.
I think I would wait for a new unit also. If the unit came back from repairs and had to be sent out again I would be a little miffed. You really can't expect much from factory systems.
I hope you have the time and resources to get a new after market system.
My truck came with the JBL system and it sounds like doo doo. The rear door speakers distort frequently, and the subwoofer also distorted quite a bit, but that is taken care of now because the JBL amp died after two months. I'm ready to r/r the whole system now.
Good luck!!
Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 AM   #14
goyard4x is on a distinguished road
Navy: Boiler Tech
goyard4x's Tacoma Gallery
They changed the stereo for 09 and it looks for the worse.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
RoyB's Tacoma Gallery
FINALLY got my new radio. They claimed it came in a month after I was there and they called....BS. Never got a call, so they ordered another one. It was actually behaving but I figured I would go ahead and swap it out in case it started acting up again. I think I left a CD in the old one and they never took it out though