1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Touchscreen transplant to 2012 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 206 Driver, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Sep 18, 2014 at 10:52 AM
    206 Driver

206 Driver [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6
    TRD Wheels
    I'm new to the forum, so I apologize in advance for ignorance! I've found a few threads on replacing the base radio in a 2012 Tacoma with a 2013 touchscreen. What I have not found is how this will work in my 2012 SR5 access cab that does not have steering wheel controls, a mic or a XM antennae.

I have an OEM 2013 touchscreen (non jbl) that has an XM receiver with it on my workbench. It sounds like this radio head will probably physically bolt in and replace the base radio fairly easily.

My questions:

Is this swap plug-and-play for my truck?
    What about a microphone for the bluetooth phone connectivity?
    What about the steering wheel controls for the telephone (I have none)?
    Is my Tacoma prewired for a mic and XM antennae?
    Things I have not thought about?

I do find a wiring conversion to transfer the backup camera from the mirror to the touchscreen ($69 + shipping) is I want to do that.

One of the things I most wanted was the handsfree telephone connectivity for my long daily commute .... I thought a great place to start before I begin disassembling things is with people who have already been there and done that!

2. Sep 18, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
  3. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM
    206 Driver

206 Driver [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    SR5 V6
    TRD Wheels
    It appears that I may have a developing issues with the hazard/clock/airbag indicator assembly and the 2013 touch screen radio.

I was given a Toyota part number (55421-04020) as a fix for the issue, told this will allow my 2012 hazard/clock/airbag indicator assemble to be attached to the touch screen radio (my radio has no switch assembly in place).

I have not disassembled anything yet, so I'm unsure of where this is going. I found a few threads where this has been a problems others have shared, but found no fix to it.

Does anybody have the short answer?

Attached Files:

4. Sep 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM
    choppersx

choppersx ZoMbiE aLeRt

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    1968 Ford Mustang
    Lifted Bilstein shocks 5100's Front set 1.75, Rear set 1.5 ICON 3 Leaf Progressive add on / Lights-Retrofit with Halos & interior Dome / Tinted windows/AFE PRo Dry Air Filter / Go Rhino Bars / Flowmaster Exhaust 50 series

Products Discussed in

To Top