1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Pioneer questions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Fiend13, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Sep 18, 2014 at 2:28 PM
    Fiend13

Fiend13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    If this has been covered then I apologize. I'm looking to finally get a new pioneer double din (old one was stolen after only having it for 2 months) and would like some opinions on a decent but not too pricey Pioneer unit. Right now I think I may go with the AVHX4600BT and add a back up camera. The problem I had with my old unit was that it seemed like the sound quality was shit, like it was as loud or as clean as the stock jbl unit nor did the bass hit as hard or have as much depth to it. If I swap out the stock jbl unit with the pioneer do I need to upgrade the factory amp? I don't know that much about car stereos as I do mechanics. I installed a single din unit once on my civic over 10 years ago but not sure about double dins with the microphone and dvd and all that stuff. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

2. Sep 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    You'll need the JBL harness/adapter to hook up to your Pioneer.

With that said, what HU did you have that sounded worse than the stock JBL? I've heard Pyle HU's that have better SQ than the stock HU that comes in the Tacoma. Maybe your settings were way off?

Installation will be the same as your civic other than the mic stuff. If you want to keep steering wheel controls you'll need another adapter. If you don't care about those you'll just need that JBL harness (Its about $100fyi) and everything is very simple and plug in play. If you installed in a civic doing a double din in the taco is about the same amount of work. A bit less actually since there are less body panels to remove.

If you run into snags or need more help feel free to PM me. I didn't see this post until today so I apologize nobody helped you out sooner. I reply to PM's very quickly.

3. Sep 25, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    I had a pioneer AVH 3400. The JBL adapter was installed as well. It could have been that the settings were off. I may give it a shot at installing dependind on where I get the stuff from. There's an audio store here that if you buy everything through them then they only charge $1 for the install. If I do have any questions I'll hit you up. Just waiting to get the funds cause I'd like to get a backup camera too and just have it all installed at once. Thanks!

4. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I currently run the AVH3400 and I get amazing sound. I'll bet you had some bad settings.

Watch out with the 1$ install guys. Typically they do shitty installs and jack up the price on the equipment to compensate.

5. Sep 25, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    Fiend13

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Waddell/Phoenix area
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC Prerunner
    I thought about that and think they may do that. The one I had got it at best buy on sale and had them install it. I'll keep shopping around though. Is everything else still oem or did you swap out the amp or any speakers? If it's just like wiring up a single din with the exception of a mic then I just may do it myself. I'll just have to look at everything required - HU, JBL adapter, wiring harness, and dash kit, right? And then the adapter for steering wheel controls if I want it? By the way, how does the harness for the factory controls hook up? Just wire it in to the wiring harness for the new HU? Thanks for all the help man, I really appreciate this.

Products Discussed in

To Top