1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible for 4 8's behind Dbl cab seat?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TTThornhill, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Oct 12, 2014 at 6:54 PM
    TTThornhill

TTThornhill [OP] Member

Member:
    Charleston,SC
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner
    Currently i have 1 Sundown SD10 that sounds good, but not feeding my bass needs. I tend to be little excessive in that department. The budget wont allow another "play vehicle" to slam full of equipment so i am working with what i got. i could add another 10 with another amp, but i still feel that wont suffice. Does anyone know or seen an install utilizing 4 8inch (maybe 4 10s???) subs behind the seat(2014 Double Cab)? on paper it appears it could be done, but i want to know if it has been done. i would be going with the SD8 lineup from sundown as well. Mr. Marv does not know it yet, but he will be making the box if it is possible. I mainly listen to metal 80% of the time and rap the other 20% so the punch is what i need. I have 2 kids so i cannot remove the back seat. and do not worry, they rarely ever ride so i wont be blaring them at an early age. Thanks in advance.

2. Oct 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    Mr Ribby

Mr Ribby Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    NW Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2013 "Baja"
    Pioneer DvD double din, pioneer 5way front door speakers, kicker 3 way rear door speaker
    under rear seat? where the storage bins are? you might beable to fit 4 JL 10TW3-4 in the back behind seat, just food for thought tho, then put amps under seat maybe?

3. Oct 13, 2014 at 7:24 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    I haven't seen 4 8's on anyone's build myself. From an airspace perspective, you can get 2 x .65 for the dual 10" box, with a small amp board in the middle. If you take the amp board space, I would suspect you'd get another .4, so that gives you about 1.7 Cuft. to work with. Not sure what space your 8's need though. I would think 3 8's would have sufficient space but 4 might be a stretch. Assuming no changes to the seats... and a sealed box.

4. Oct 13, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    It's not a question of if theyll fit, i am sure you could build a box and get em in there, but you need to do the math to see if you have the square feet to have them sound right. It may be a topic of debate, but i say realistically you can get 1.6 sq ft of airspace back there. Divide that by 4 and you get .4 cu. ft. of airspace per sub. If your sub needs more than that, i wouldnt do 4. Maybe 3??

5. Oct 13, 2014 at 10:56 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    A member on here is running 2 12s sealed with required airspace. There is a minor mod you can do that allows some additional airspace. 4 8s will be no problem. Ill be building a 2cf after displacement box for 2 triton 8s on 1500wrms probably next week.

The the type of music that you listen to, 4 8s sealed would do the trick.

6. Oct 13, 2014 at 6:55 PM
    TTThornhill

TTThornhill [OP] Member

Member:
    Charleston,SC
    Vehicle:
    14 Prerunner
    Well after talking with mr. Marv, he did a similar build that didnt produce the expected results...stated the 8s didnt provide a good range of bass. So I may just stick with doing a dual 10 setup. Definetly will be better on the pockets.

7. Oct 13, 2014 at 7:28 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    well 8s have much higher fs compared to the 10, usually by around 10hz
    4 8s have more cone area than 2 10s and if they had comparable Fs then they should have the same " freq" range
    The music you listen to doesnt have much bass under 40hz anyhow so what are you going to miss.

also, one thing to remember is that when they run the program testing for the thiele parameter, most subs are brand new and not even broken in. Broken in subs usually play 5-10hz lower on a thiele test

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top