Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio - recommendations?

Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 PM   #1
keylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shedkeylay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kyle
keylay's Tacoma Gallery
CB Radio - recommendations?

I've got a 4th gen 4Runner and looking for a small CB radio for off-roading and highway travel. Not looking to break the bank.

Recommendations?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Get the Cobra 75. It's nice and compact and takes up zero space when you unplug and remove it.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM   #4
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Agree with the Cobra 75 but on antennas ....

What is your mounting situation, temp ( only when you need it ) or full time,do not want to fuss with it ??

Lil Will's are the "Boss" of magnet mounts ( we have one for the Lexus road trips and as my back up) BUT they are prone to wandering eyes ...

If you do purchase a Lil Will invest in a thin piece of felt and glue it to the magnet; the wax paper that the factory installed will not last and everytime you move ( or it gets whacked ) will create ....

For ideas on rear bumper mounts try looking at some of our bumper creators here at TW and their customer pix...and at FJ Cruiser sites...they get very creative with the spare tire rack/bumper mounts that take an antenna beating....
Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
AACMechanic is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
AACMechanic's Tacoma Gallery
My question is why not get a firestik? Any cb antenna system requires a good ground to operate properly, and that just can't be had by mounting an antenna to the composite bed insides. Sure you can install a ground plate and run bonding strap to ensure a good ground, but I would take a firestik any day over a Lil Wil. Cobra 75 is a decent trail rig. Best bang for the buck, Uniden 510 or 505 with an Astatic D104-M6B microphone, a good quality coax cable, decent mount, and an antenna that has the loading coil above your roofline and is preferably 4' in length or longer. Years of experience and operating a CB shop locally offer my advice. Best of luck
Old 10-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACMechanic View Post
My question is why not get a firestik? Any cb antenna system requires a good ground to operate properly, and that just can't be had by mounting an antenna to the composite bed insides. Sure you can install a ground plate and run bonding strap to ensure a good ground, but I would take a firestik any day over a Lil Wil. Cobra 75 is a decent trail rig. Best bang for the buck, Uniden 510 or 505 with an Astatic D104-M6B microphone, a good quality coax cable, decent mount, and an antenna that has the loading coil above your roofline and is preferably 4' in length or longer. Years of experience and operating a CB shop locally offer my advice. Best of luck
They are fragile and will snap like a twig off road. Lil Wil on the roof will far out perform a Firestik. I had two different Firestiks and neither one worked well. Crappy performance and could not get SWR low enough for my liking. I went to Wilson years ago and never looked back. BTW welcome to TW.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACMechanic View Post
My question is why not get a firestik?

There are no good reasons. I had them on my truck for years with little to no issues.

Any cb antenna system requires a good ground to operate properly, and that just can't be had by mounting an antenna to the composite bed insides.

Sure it can. Anyone who can install a CB can run a simple ground wire.

Sure you can install a ground plate and run bonding strap to ensure a good ground, but I would take a firestik any day over a Lil Wil.

I agree but only because Wilsons get installed on the roof where it is ideal for on road adventures, but in my neck of the woods you wouldn't make it past the trail head with a roof mounted antenna.

Cobra 75 is a decent trail rig. Best bang for the buck, Uniden 510 or 505 with an Astatic D104-M6B microphone, a good quality coax cable, decent mount, and an antenna that has the loading coil above your roofline and is preferably 4' in length or longer. Years of experience and operating a CB shop locally offer my advice. Best of luck
I think this is where most people screw up....proper length. I made the same mistake for years by only running a 4' Firestick. Now that I have a stainless steel 102" whip Ill never go back to any other style or length. 102" whips are 10X better than a 4' firestick on my truck.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSETACO View Post
They are fragile and will snap like a twig off road. Lil Wil on the roof will far out perform a Firestik. I had two different Firestiks and neither one worked well. Crappy performance and could not get SWR low enough for my liking. I went to Wilson years ago and never looked back. BTW welcome to TW.

We need to get you back into some of my local trails.....

when the branches are lower than your hood - those roof mount antennas all fail

for reference I ripped off the magnetic satellite radio mount last weekend thats about 3/16" tall and roof mounted or was roof mounted.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Roof mounted 102" FTMFW
Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
Banned
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Roof mounted 102" FTMFW
Seriously... If I cud I wood, but woof no gud.