1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Proper Cable Bundling installing Decks

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by acozzens, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Apr 23, 2009 at 10:14 AM
    acozzens

acozzens [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    Hey taco lovers.

Anyone have hot tips or strategy on proper cable bundling behind the head unit ?

I kind of just "jammed the cables" in there as logically as I could.
    There must be smarter ways to do it so things are less hectic behind the Head Unit.

A secondary part of this question is: where to locate aftermarket products. Like the little wallet size boxes that need to be in the dash. ( wiring harnesses, satellite radio adapters, HD radio adapters )... Do you just "find a way" ? certainly there is somewhere back there that makes the job a lot easier.

2. Apr 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    you found the hard part! i just got things to fit where they could and that was it. there are nooks and crannys all over in the dash, just takes some exploring all around with your hands to find. I have a bluetooth module, ipod adapter, and a double din nav unit all squeezed in my dash. The bluetooth module had two adapter boxers to hide too.

3. Apr 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    I sure did find the hard part.

And I have cuts all over my hands to prove it. Problem is that I need to feel what I'm feeling behind the dash, so gloves weren't really an option.

I was really wishing that you said : "dude, just unscrew this, and there's a full parking lot ready for your components"..

Guess I'll just stick with my strategy until I break something or end up in the hospital :)

4. Apr 23, 2009 at 10:22 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Get in where you fit in is my motto.

The wiring harness I typically try to keep long and pack it in high and to the back, above the cross brace. I make sure that the attenna cable is not pulled tight, because I don't want it coming loose.

The othe items I try to manage based on length of cables. I typically have most flexiblity with the RCA and remote turn on, so they go where ever I can for them at the end.

Boxes like sat radio I try to put behind the glove box, in kicks if possible or under the center console behind the storage compartment.

5. Apr 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM
    acozzens

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver

Sooner, some good ideas there thanks.
    What are "Kicks"

6. Apr 23, 2009 at 4:50 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Kick panels, the plastic trim piece towards the outside of the truck. They have a fair amount of room behind them. The one on the driver's side can be accessed behind the false pedal, if you have an automatic. I think the passenger side have a thumb screw and then pops off. That one works well for at sat radio tuner (especially since that is where the factory one is located).

The center console area works well for bluetooth module, for clear signals.

7. Apr 23, 2009 at 5:51 PM
    tacomajason

tacomajason the anti mpg

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    09 ssm ac oc 6mt 4wd
    stock (for now)
    there is a little room behind the glove box also...

8. Apr 24, 2009 at 5:08 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Most of my wiring and "boxes" are behind the glove box on the left hand side. Using this area also makes access easier if you even need to get to them again. If you stuff them behind the HU and something needs to be worked on, you have to disasemble the entire dash again. Been there..... done that..... not going back.

Products Discussed in

To Top