Notices

Before I start, some questions

Old 11-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
clc2112 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Cop and Comp Programmer
Name: Calvin
clc2112's Tacoma Gallery
Before I start, some questions

1. I have found the Pioneer AVIV 8000NEC on amazon for $915. Is this a legit source? Authorized dealer? It says it is sold by Crawford's Superstore. When I click to find out more about them, they don't seem to have much of a presence outside of Amazon. I dont want to get it and it not be legit, although it would be nice to save $400

2. With an after market head unit how are the vehicle system settings displayed? Do they get displayed on the head unit some ow? I know there is an input for a camera, but does will it auto matically display when put in reverse?

3. Essentially, do I lose any major functions by going to an after market head unit such as the one mentioned above?

4. What is a non-JBL Entune with NAV unit worth if taken out?
Old 11-04-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
clc2112 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Cop and Comp Programmer
Name: Calvin
clc2112's Tacoma Gallery
Nevermind on question 1. Crawford's Superstore. and Amazon are explictly listed on Pioneers site as NOT authorized dealers. Crap!!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
locomotive282 will become famous soon enoughlocomotive282 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
locomotive282's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine on eBay for less try this seller good service and fast shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/a2zcaraudiosuperstore/

If you are installing it yourself than it doesn't matter if you purchase from an authorized dealer.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
adrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shedadrenalnjunky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
adrenalnjunky's Tacoma Gallery
that's not always the case. Many brands have different warranty if a product is bought online from an auth dealer and installed by an auth dealer, and a shorter warranty if bought from auth dealer and installed yourself. At least they're offering a warranty.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomotive282 View Post
If you are installing it yourself than it doesn't matter if you purchase from an authorized dealer.
Not true. Pioneer itself will not warranty the HU unless it is purchased from an authorized dealer.

Now, to that, some non-authorized dealers offer their own warranty (take that for what it's worth), and I believe that you can also get a SquareTrade warranty (think it's SquareTrade...), then still come out cheaper then purchasing from an authorized Pioneer dealer.

Also, I have never purchased a Pioneer HU from an authorized dealer, and I've been through many HUs as I seem to upgrade/replace every 3-4 years. I've never had a need to get any Pioneer HU fixed. Whoops, I take that back, had a need back in the mid-80s

So, OP, up to you to decide if the 1 yr warranty risk is worth the extra $$$.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 AM   #7
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Also, OP, have you considered just the 4000NEX as the 8000 only gives you a capacitive screen and NAV. NAV can be mirrored from a phone onto the 4000, making the only difference the screen.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
locomotive282 will become famous soon enoughlocomotive282 will become famous soon enough
Name: Peter
locomotive282's Tacoma Gallery
You guys act like Pioneer has an investigative branch with agents that will determine using forensic evidence that you did not purchase from an authorized dealer.

If you needed a warranty repair they are going to ask for the units serial number and provide you with a location or shipping location of a service center.

If you they ask if was purchased from an authorized dealer you just say yes. No SWAT team will burst through you windows with laser sights aimed at your center mass.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #9
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You guys act like Pioneer has an investigative branch with agents that will determine using forensic evidence that you did not purchase from an authorized dealer.

If you needed a warranty repair they are going to ask for the units serial number and provide you with a location or shipping location of a service center.

If you they ask if was purchased from an authorized dealer you just say yes. No SWAT team will burst through you windows with laser sights aimed at your center mass.
Before Pioneer warranty work gets done, proof of purchase must be supplied. Without a reciept from an authorized reseller, you are paying out of pocket.
Old 11-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #11
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You must be new to how Pioneer works. They won't warranty jack shit unless it came from an authorized dealer. And like you said, they will check the SN and know it didn't come from one. No way around it.

With that being said, I've had 1 pioneer unit fail and it was their DSP which had known issues. Other than that I have yet to have one Pioneer HU fail on me.