1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Will this sub-woofer fit ?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by taco 2011, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Nov 16, 2014 at 9:09 PM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    Hello everyone, My question is will this jl sub fit behind my seats in my 2011 Toyota Tacoma double cab?
    Also is this sub for me? I listen to mainly rap and i love the low bass ,but i also want the "punch" that you would get with a 10 inch sub woofer.
    What kind of amp should i run to maximize this sub's potential? Price is a little bit of a factor because i don't want to spend crazy money on this system if the price of the amp matches the sub woofer then i have no problem with it.
    Finally, I plan to keep the stock head unit.. How big of a mistake is this ? I see some people talk about a jl audio clean sweep( I think that is what it is called) is that what i will need if i keep the stock head unit? I would be open to ideas on double din units i won't be buying one soon but i might treat myself to a Christmas present. I am sorry for the long post i have spent a long time reading and searching but I am not very tech savvy when it comes to audio in vehicles. Any response is appreciated. If you see a better suited sub for me on this page please let me know.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_136112WXV2/JL-Audio-CS112-WXv2.html?tp=112

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  2. Nov 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Stock HU is garbage.

This sub is good but won't hit the lows super hard. You'll want a ported box for rap in my opinion.

As for it fitting. Not sure as I'm having issues with getting the specs page to open. My guess is no because you want a wedge shaped box to work with the seat angle.

I'm on my phone I'll respond to you later with more in depth response.

3. Nov 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM
    taco 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
    Okay i appreciate it aw9d. Where would i get a ported box ? Does mr Marv still make boxes and would he be able to make a ported one ?
    As i look through the site i see more options with ported boxes. Will a 12 fit behind our seats i see people make custom boxes and they do it. Here is something i just found
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_10951202BR/JBL-GT5-1202BR.html?tp=112
    I understand the stock head unit is garbage but would that jl audio clean sweep fix the problem or not ? What head unit would you recommend ?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  4. Nov 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Yes Mr. Marv makes them still. I have a Type-R 12 shallow in a ported box behind the rear seats of my 2011 DC. There isn't a lot of room to work with behind the rear seats. Depending on what sub you want Mr. Marv will tell you what you'll need box wise. If you are wanting specs for a sealed box I have some I can email you that fit behind the seat really nice. I haven't had time to create a blueprint of my ported box I built yet.

As for the clean sweep, they do the trick. But the stock HU is still outputting crap and even though you can polish a turd, its still a turd. If the stock look is what you really want, then cleansweap it. Otherwise aftermarket HU's are the way to go. Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine are the top 3 brands for the most part. And you can't go wrong with any of those 3 for the most part as well.

5. Nov 17, 2014 at 7:32 PM
    taco 2011

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    For the price of a cleansweap i could spend 100 dollars more and buy the pioneer head unit i like lol. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

6. Nov 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM
    Tdogg11

Tdogg11 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    08 Dcsb Sport SR5
    I know this isn't exactly what you're asking about... but I have the JBL system with the factory amp and sub. The speakers sounded pretty good, but the sub would be off key and just make grumbling sounds when it couldn't keep up. So I decided to first upgrade the head unit. I got pioneer double din with bluetooth but a cost effective one (about $230 on Amazon). To be honest, the aftermarket HU made a worlds difference in the factory sub, and even the door speakers. I am still going to upgrade to an aftermarket sub, but this bridged the gap until I'm ready to drop the money. Sorry for the long post, but like what was said above, the headunit will make a huge difference in everything. Especially if you get the sub and you aren't satisfied, then look into a HU before feeling like you completely wasted your money.

7. Nov 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    Like tdogg11 said, the HU is the key. And honestly if you think about it, its the heart of your sound system. If the HU outputs crap, then no matter what you do to clean it up, its still crap.

Good call OP on spending the extra $ and getting a HU. You'll be a lot happier going that direction. Plus with the new HU you can begin to upgrade and add amps and what not.

Products Discussed in

To Top