1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Speakers 2015 Access cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Supercharged, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Nov 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    Supercharged

Supercharged [OP] Member

Member:
    In the middle
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma
    I just took delivery on a 2015 Tacoma Access cab, 6 spd manual trans. It has the end to multi media bundle, NOT the premium audio package.

I want to upgrade all the speakers and probably add a 4 channel amp.

I have the front speakers covered, ordered adapter plates, JBL 6x9s and Infinity tweeters.

My question involves the "rear" speakers-

They appear to be mounted in the head liner, and really sound bad.

Does anyone know what speakers are mounted up there?

Is it better to replace them or install some 6.5 rounds in the rear doors?

Any information, product suggestions or links will be very much appreciated.

Supercharged

2. Nov 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    personally, and i know many others are not a fan of rear fill.
    Your better off fading your stage forward and spending your time and money perfecting your front stage

3. Nov 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM
    Supercharged

Supercharged [OP] Member

Member:
    In the middle
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma
    I admit I had thought about that- I guess my OCD streak kicked in. Something about having audio output on the head unit and speakers going unused bugs me- even though it may be illogical. I suppose with such a small space, a 2 channel amp up front into a good pair of separates or 6x9s would sound better. I have to remind myself that I'm fading out the weak part of the system and recall only losing mid range which seems the most prone to distortion. Hmmmm
    Maybe some amped Boston Acoustics separates with crossovers in the front doors and a small powered sub in the back?

4. Nov 23, 2014 at 3:03 PM
    3rail

3rail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Amish Country
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma Sport AC (Inferno Orange)
    TRD wheels and Nitto tires, TRD Pro grille, exhaust, CAI, skid PL & shift knob. OEM Audio Plus 450Q sound system upgrade.
    You need to contact Mr. Marv here on the forum. Do a quick search to track him down. He is currently setting me up with a system for my '15 Sport AC.

Bottom line, forget about the rear roof speakers. I am going with 6.5" components up front and a sub mounted in a custom box between the rear jump seats. Fade to the front. I have an Entune with NAV, no JBL.

I am a few weeks from receiving the components and the install but will post pics when it happens.

Donald

5. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    I spent the time and money on a good set of front door speakers and installed a mini amp. For now, left the roof speakers alone. I can say that once the amp was installed, the roof speakers actually sounded better. You have to remember those things are itzy bitzy and aren't that good but do "fill" some sound. I'm not sure I'd put speakers in my rear AC doors either. If I do replace the roof ones, it'll be when they crap out.

Put your front system together with the amp and then decide. I bet you don't do it.

6. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM
    Supercharged

Supercharged [OP] Member

Member:
    In the middle
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma
    I toyed with mine tonight, just adjusting settings and the rear roof speakers will NOT be used once I have the front set up and amped.... No sense filling and gaps with poor sound quality. Thanks for the recommendation- I will look him up and see what he offers before deciding.

Looking forward to your install thread-

SC

7. Nov 23, 2014 at 4:54 PM
    Supercharged

Supercharged [OP] Member

Member:
    In the middle
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma
    You're probably right- I still might do something in the back, having a set if drivers in the AC doors would be nice when out camping & such- flip the doors open for ambient tunes....

I've got a premium Bose system in my Audi S4, I guess I'm a bit spoiled by that since I've never had to do any work on it.

It's not like the crazy multi driver/multi amp systems I used to build in my youth, but it's good enough and shows me little to no distortion.

SC

8. Nov 23, 2014 at 7:16 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Looks like you have received some good advice here but I'll chime in since you asked me to and I'm just waiting on some glue to set! IMO the weakest link in a Tacoma system is the speakers and since speakers are the most important aspect of any system expected to sound good I always recommend buying the "best" front speakers you can fit in your budget first and install them properly.. Everything else from there on will be "icing on the cake" and what you do from there on depends on your objectives/budget.
    If you want it louder, add an amp. If you don't want to add a sub I would recommend a "good" set of 6x9 components up front. Rear fill is one of those personal choices. If you like the "surround" effect add rear speakers! If you want to learn how to use rear speakers to add ambiance and actually "enhance" your front stage give me a call as it's too much for me to type!

Also, personally I am a big fan of keeping the factory headunit whenever possible (especially the Entune) as IMO the only thing it really lacks is audio adjustments however if you start with "good" speakers installed properly of course you will have less need for processing (there are other level setting/phase tuning tricks that will aid in getting the best sound and how much tuning you "need" depends on numerous factors).

BTW, next weekend I will be installing a "competition level" system in another members 2015 Access Cab consisting of Hybrid Audio Technologies Legatia SE components and Clarus sub powered by an Alpine PDX-V9 along with a Helix DSP. Although this level system is above what most are looking for I will be documenting it to post in a thread to hopefully aid others with installing in their Access cabs. Almost forgot, I will be using the factory headunit. ;) :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  9. Nov 23, 2014 at 8:39 PM
    clc2112

clc2112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Lunar Rock
    Proudly this is my system he is referring to. Not only can I not wait, I am looking forward to meeting Mr Marv. I feel like we are great friends already from our very insightful and in depth conversations.

10. Nov 24, 2014 at 3:10 AM
    3rail

3rail Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Donald
    Amish Country
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma Sport AC (Inferno Orange)
    TRD wheels and Nitto tires, TRD Pro grille, exhaust, CAI, skid PL & shift knob. OEM Audio Plus 450Q sound system upgrade.
    +1 for Mr. Marv. Hopefully, my stuff is next in line!!!

We talked on the phone a number of times and as the previous poster noted, it feels like I know the guy without ever meeting him.

Make the call, you will not regret it.

Donald

11. Nov 24, 2014 at 8:28 AM
    ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT Can't re-MEMBER

Member:
    First Name:
    ED
    SUNRISE,FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 XTRA CAB 5 SPEED
    LARGER WHEELS. DIFFERENT STEREO. PUSH BAR. TAILGATE EXTENDER. WIPER MOD. TPMS LIGHT DELETE MOD.
    I tapped into the mini roof speaker wiring behind the radio them removed the kick panels, trim and rear door covers, ran the wires and installed a set of 6.5" in there. Crutchfield sells the speakers cheap and includes the brackets and wiring kits for FREE. I did have to cut holes in my door panels and mount the grilles, but the difference in sound is amazing. The roof speakers are still hooked up, but you don't hear them!

12. Nov 24, 2014 at 8:37 AM
    Supercharged

Supercharged [OP] Member

Member:
    In the middle
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma

Brackets and wiring kits for the Access Cab???

Do you have a link to where I can see them with Crutchfield?

Any pics of your install?

Link info would be very much appreciated-

SC

13. Nov 24, 2014 at 4:01 PM
    RedHarris

RedHarris Member

Member:
    So California
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD
    Crutchfield will have Brackets and wiring kits for a Tacoma Access Cab.
    My Access cab is 2006 and it came with rear door speakers from the Factory.

Your 2015 doors may or may not have the same internal sheet metal as my '06. The best way to know for sure is to remove the door panel and check for yourself.

14. Nov 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM
    clc2112

clc2112 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Calvin
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Lunar Rock
    I believe me & Mr Marvs plan is to eventually put 5/5" rear fills in the door. I won't know for sure until next weekend but we believe the sheet metal will support the speaker but the panel will need to be cut for the grill.

15. Nov 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Toyota left the speaker holes in the rear doors when they first moved those speakers to the headliner so hopefully they are still there!

16. Nov 25, 2014 at 11:02 PM
    Supercharged

Supercharged [OP] Member

Member:
    In the middle
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma
    Anyone have a link to the 2015 AC wiring diagram?

17. Mar 16, 2015 at 6:10 AM
    Mongo1958

Mongo1958 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Van
    Newnan, GA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Bright White Access Cab
    Carbon filter removal, Intermittent Wiper Stalk installation, Cruise Control installation
    As I am learning the search function and searching for audio mods, your name keeps popping up. What would your recommendation be for front speakers and an amp. Also where to mount the amp.

Sorry for jacking the thread.

Thanks

Van

18. Mar 16, 2015 at 6:14 AM
    Mongo1958

Member:
    First Name:
    Van
    Newnan, GA
    Vehicle:
    Carbon filter removal, Intermittent Wiper Stalk installation, Cruise Control installation
    What amp did you use and where did you mont it?

19. Mar 16, 2015 at 7:03 AM
    weendoggy

weendoggy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Aptos, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD ACOR 4x4
    Access Original Tonneau Cover; Toyota Side Tube Steps; Focal ISS690 front speakers; Clarion XC1410 mini amp; Gentex 453 rearview mirror with Homelink, Compass, Temp and Autodim; Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller, Heated Seats from www.cobraheat.com, BriteAss Fogs, Phillips Extreme LED H/L. Heated mirrors from @Up2NoGood. 5100 Bilstein all four corners.
    A lot in this thread http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/317073-2014-access-cab-sub-options.html See post #13 for links to the other pages of install.

Basically used a Clarion XC1410 and put it under the drivers seat. I have an AC and it's out of the way. Install post is #14 here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/328388-2014-access-cab-door-speakers.html There's a .pdf on the post showing details.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  20. Mar 16, 2015 at 12:28 PM
    Mongo1958

Member:
    First Name:
    Van
    Newnan, GA
    Vehicle:
    I have been reading about your installation. Nice job, especially the the deadening of the doors. Can you bypass the amp? How good does the Iss speakers sound with out the amp?

Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top