1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Looking for an amp, need advice

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Oggy, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Nov 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM
    Oggy

Oggy [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I am looking to get a 4 channel amp for my door speakers; right now I have a pair of DB6501 in the front. I plan on adding another pair, or even a pair of mm6501 and move the DB's to the rear. I am debating on deleting the back seats and console in my access cab and have a custom box made that takes up the back panel so I can run 2, 12" type r subs and mount my speakers to it. Or find someone with a 2005-2009 access cab and swap rear panels, that way the panels have the factory holes for the speaker. I hate that Toyota switched the rear speakers to the headliner, and I refuse to cut up my trim panels so I want to do a swap with a total truck or throw someone some cash and trade.

But on to the important part, I need an amp for my speakers. These speakers have a power range of 10-100 watts RMS, I don’t really want them maxed out so an amp that is around 80 RMS per channel would be perfect. I am great with body work and working on cars, but car audio is still new to me so I am kind of swimming in a sea of information and not really getting anywhere. I am looking at an Alpine mrp-f 450 amp right now, 70 RMS x4 at 4ohms seems pretty good but I am not 100% sure.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  2. Nov 27, 2014 at 12:02 AM
    locomotive282

locomotive282 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Carson, CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB PreRunner V6
    As far as amps go anything rated for 75 Watts RMS and up will be fine.

It is really hard to overpower a speaker for playing music. Its not wattage that destroys speakers but distortion from the amplifier clipping.

i connected a pair of computer speakers to a 4000 W amplifier and i was amazed at how much it took to blow it. as long as a speaker is fed a cleanly amplified music signal the wattage doesnt matter.

3. Nov 29, 2014 at 11:41 AM
    Oggy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D8604

finally found a 4 channel amp that can do 100 RMS power at 4ohms, its a pioneer amp that can only be found online unfortunately. I went to frys electronics today to see if they had one and talking to the tech person he said pioneer amps aren't that good. Now I build computers and I know how stupid their computer techs are, is this guy talking out his ass to get a commission or is he right with pioneer amps?

4. Nov 29, 2014 at 4:16 PM
    outxider

outxider Never stop exploring. Rest in Paradise Big Bro.

Member:
    First Name:
    Sang
    East Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4x4
    A few mods here and there and counting....
    I've been rocking a Pioneer mono amp, rated at 400watts at 2ohm for the past 4 years without a hiccup. It will be be taken soon in favor of a Kicker kx800.5 to run my interior speakers along with the sub.

5. Nov 29, 2014 at 4:21 PM
    t4daddy

t4daddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2008 PreRunner Double Cab
    Let me guess, he didn't have or sell Pioneer amps. Funny how sales people talk down about stuff they don't carry or are out of stock on. Not saying Pioneer is the very pinnacle, but it's good solid stuff.

6. Nov 29, 2014 at 5:27 PM
    Oggy

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Phoenix, Az
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Exactly, which is why I walked away at that point. They did have the kicker kx400.4 which I've heard good things about though, but at this point im still figuring out which to get. Normally I'd be all for Alpine but I can't find anything for 100rms 4ohms per channel.

7. Nov 29, 2014 at 9:14 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many

Products Discussed in

To Top