1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How many of y'all kept the XM subscription after the free period?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Chuck Wagon, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:43 AM
    Chuck Wagon

Chuck Wagon [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road, Double Cab
    Theses guys call three times a day trying to sell me another six months, and so forth. Truthfully I listen to mostly talk radio and country. Mostly via the Bluetooth connection via Pandora.

That said if the XM supscription, that comes with the truck expires. Do you lose the traffic prediction and weather data as well? Or does it pull that info through another source?

2. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:48 AM
    Unchained 5150

Unchained 5150 Rick

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn Ma
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Poser Pro Manual.
    Letting mine expire. I actually signed up to have it go to a full subscription. By I then cancelled it due to so much repetitive stuff. I love the Comedy stations, and listened every day to and from work. And it was just the same shit day after day after day. Why should I pay for that?

3. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:53 AM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    I kept XM after my trial subscription, even when I never got any calls. Been using XM for a long time, recently been out of it over past year, glad to have it back.

Traffic prediction and weather data are not via XM -- don't have either, but fairly certain those services are via HD digital radio.

4. Dec 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM
    Tacomalifer

Tacomalifer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    O
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    DCSB TRD Off Road
    SS grill guard,pair 36w LED floods, SS nerf bars, WeatherTech floor liners, Flyzeyes console and glove box lights,GTek sill plates,ImMrYo mirror lift bracket,ProEFX tow mirrors,JumpersLeds interior LED lights and back up lights,RokBloks short mud flaps, Gentex auto dimming/ comp/ temp mirror
    I paid for a year after the free trial at a reduced rate. Will decide after that if it is worth it. I do like the classic rock and roll channels.

5. Dec 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    Chuck Wagon

Member:
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road, Double Cab
    Yeah I can't find much useful with the XM, justifying keeping it. Although I don't know if it's a good deal or bad, but they offered to extend another six months for $30.

Does anyone know if the traffic overlay on the Nav and weather works through XM subscriptions or Entune?

6. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I had it for years, but its the same stuff every other day cycling through, and I'm swapping annoying commercials on FM radio for annoying commercials on XM. If you drive a lot its just as repetitive as anything else.

7. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    Traffic overlays are not via XM. Have never seen those services, but they're not provided via XM.

8. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:26 PM
    Chuck Wagon

Member:
    Grass Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road, Double Cab
    Thanks, yeah I didn't know I had it either. I left my Nav on one day and noticed that the road turns green (if the traffic is flowing) yellow if it slows and red if it's grid-lock. It's completely redundant, and somewhat slow as I've been sitting in bumper to bumper and had it read yellow or green still.

I just think as a gaget guy, it's pretty cool. The weather overlay is nice too, but my weather app on my phone is faster and more accurate. Again just kind of cool, albeit almost useless.

9. Dec 6, 2014 at 12:29 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    I have had it for years. I only listen to maybe 5 or 6 stations, but they are miles better than FM stations in the Albany market. I hate messing with my phone while I'm driving, so I rarely use that for anything music related.

10. Dec 6, 2014 at 5:14 PM
    BeBeep

BeBeep Still Plays With Cars, Trucks, Bikes & Guns

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    NRH, TX
    Vehicle:
    15 DCSB TRD Sport PreRunner
    TRD Exhaust, Gentex Mirror w/ Homelink, Autodim, Temp & Compass, Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Toyota Bedmat, Underhood LED Lighting Toytec Ultimate 3" lift w/3 Leaf Progressive Rear Springs (overload spring removed), Hypertech Speedo Calibrator
    IMO you would be better off spending the monthly fee on downloads and build your song library. I had XM for over 10 years before I cancelled it.

11. Dec 6, 2014 at 5:26 PM
    Marine.Doc

Marine.Doc Well-Known Member

Member:
    central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2015 SR5 Prerunner V6
    I called XM before thirty days and told them to cancel mine.

12. Dec 6, 2014 at 5:28 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I let mine expire because shortly after I got my truck I found out that I was going to Korea and my truck would have to sit at my parents place for a year.

Now that I'm getting ready to go back to the states, I will not renew it because I've heard it doesn't work in Alaska. Somewhat sad because I do like it and when I have it I listen to it a lot.

13. Dec 6, 2014 at 5:30 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interesting. It's satellite based, wonder why AK is no good?

14. Dec 6, 2014 at 5:33 PM
    SteveO86

SteveO86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White TRD Sport DCSB 4x4 (Sold)
    BHLM w/ Retrofit, Window Tint, xB LED Fogs, Rigid Dually D2s w/ Amber Covers, Matt123 Skid & Tow Hook, Cobra 75 CB w/ 3' Firestik on BAMF mount, N-Fab Steps, Tonneau, Scangauge II, AVID Light Bar, Katzkin Seats, Remote Starter
    I think it's because the satellites they use are kept in orbit primarily over the continental US. I hear it will work in Anchorage, but it's not reliable. So I'm not going to pay for it if it just goes in and out.

Products Discussed in

To Top