1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo system TAKE TWO!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Ihatetacomas, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Dec 16, 2014 at 7:30 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Ihatetacomas [OP] Because tacomas hate me

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    Here's the other system im looking at doing.

Alpine CDE-HD149BT w/ sirius-XM, wiring, dash kit, you can find this on crutchfield.

Mercury K62 (crossover, midrange, and tweeter)
    http://mercurycaraudio.com/PSD55448-ProductServiceDetail-mercury_k_62.html

Mercury Ms90.4
    http://mercurycaraudio.com/PSD41223-ProductServiceDetail-ms_904.html

Mercury Ms1500.1
    http://mercurycaraudio.com/PSD52811-ProductServiceDetail-ms_1500.html

Shok Industries Triton 8"
    http://shokindustries.com/products/subwoofers/trtion-8/

Shok Industries deadener, 80 sq ft.
    http://shokindustries.com/products/sound-dampening/shok-mats/

This'll be cheaper than my other setup with hopefully the same OR BETTER ;) results...
    Thoughts? Here is my other thread.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/354569-100w-rms-speakers.html

Hope to hear from you guys!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  2. Dec 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    Same results? It will be much better lol

3. Dec 16, 2014 at 11:26 PM
    LogCabins

LogCabins Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5 3.4L 4WD
    Have you ever listened to a Sundown 8? The RMS is crazy......just throwing that out there but in all honesty....looks like it will be a nice system

4. Dec 17, 2014 at 4:12 AM
    ZMan2k2

ZMan2k2 “Hold my beer and watch this!”

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I have the Shok Triton 12" s in my truck. They are amazing subs. I could probably throw double the 1200w I'm feeding them now, at them, and they'd just keep thumping. I'm sure you'll have no disappointments with the 8" s.

5. Dec 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Used @ 23,283 Volant Intake (w/ scoop)(removed August 2016), BAKFlip G2 Tonneau Cover, (drain tube mod), Pop & Lock Tailgate Lock, Stampede Vigilante Premium VP Series Hood Protector, 5lb Extinguisher, Shovel & Axe mounted in bed, Shok Industries Sound Deadener, Mercury: (K62, MGR-1200, MGR-495) Triton 8" Subs, Custom-Made: Sub Box, Speaker Templates, Vapor Barrier, All-Pro Bumper w/Kickouts, hidden trailer hitch, wooden cup-holder Misc: Knukonceptz RCA, speaker, and power wires, Big 3 Upgrade, a very full Husky technician tool box
    Yeah I saw the vid haha, how'd you get the box to fit behind the seat? Unless you don't have the organizer thing behind it like I do? Or did you just free-air the sub and put it against the trucks wall? And I know your more of a SPL guy but as far as sound quality, would you say the tritons are good since theyre a little lower rms?

6. Dec 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    There is no organizer behind his seats, his box pretty much takes up all the space behind the seat.Who really uses that space. The Triton Series sub was designed to be a musical sub, Not an spl sub. With that said, it still gets loud and reproduces bass very accurately and is massively under rated when it comes to its capability. You can easily push 1500wrms Clean power to these 12s without a problem.

With that said, Rms rating really has nothing to do with sound quality but as Richard will most likely tell you, the best thing about the triton line is how they sound, Which is Amazing :)

7. Dec 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    I actually built the box into the truck.

But besides that, Manethon is right. They easily produce the synth bass of rap or R&B, or the double bass of Five Finger Death Punch. And they do it well. I have zero complaints about these sub's, they sound great.

8. Dec 17, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    I am currently building a rather big box, drop in behind the seat that is perfectly tuned for 2 8s ported on the ms1500.1 :) thank god
    For flared ports, makes my life so easy

9. Dec 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Gonna build my own box with my dad, you know, some father-son bonding time ;) should I just worry about the dimensions? I think it's just going to be behind the front seats

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  10. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:24 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    if its a DC, put it behind the rear seats mate.

11. Dec 17, 2014 at 7:45 PM
    Goose8651

Goose8651 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab
    I've got the head unit. Been using it for about six months. So far, I enjoy it, but I am not a super audio guy and it can get a little confusing with so many parameters you can change. I would buy it again though.

12. Dec 18, 2014 at 1:38 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Think the specs will allow for that? I guess ZMan was able to make it fit huh

13. Dec 18, 2014 at 1:39 AM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Yeah that's something I'll have to learn about, I feel like if I just messed with it once I installed it ill get it...

14. Dec 18, 2014 at 8:58 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    I just built a similar box, its not 100% complete yet due to cold @ss wether and clients truck is not around atm but if you have any skills, its not a hard build

15. Dec 19, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    You can do anything you set your mind to. I built my box into the rear of the DC seats that I have. I wanted 12"s. I now have 2 12's in a sealed box behind the rear seats of my truck. The only modification that I made to the truck, was to take the locking brackets that the seats lock to in the upright position, and space them out about a 1/2". Easily done with a few washers. I have the room for the subs, which were 6 7/8" deep and 12" round to fit behind my seats. Building a 2 sq.ft. box with a flared port, my recommendation is drivers side exit, is easy. I used 3/4" MDF because of the power of 2 12's. You could easily use 1/2" MDF or birch plywood and come up with the required mounting depth, and have it fit easily behind the rear seats of a DC.

"USE THE FORCE, LUKE!"

16. Dec 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    I don't have Seats in my truck but maybe I'll upload a picture of the box I have built for my client. 2 8s ported driver side

17. Dec 19, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    And I thought sealed was my only option... Well I might go sealed anyways

18. Dec 19, 2014 at 9:48 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    if you go sealed go 2 12s,
    If you go ported, go 2 8's )

19. Dec 20, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    ZMan2k2

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    ‘Berta
    Vehicle:
    06 Rad Red DCLB SR5
    Agreed.

If you go sealed, use my tread here, to guide you. And remember, a Dremel with a sanding bit is a great tool, to get a perfect fit around the rear brace for the side pieces. That way you'll get an easier fit, and the silicone and fiberglass will have an easier time sealing the corners. If you go ported, you can build a traditional box, with the cutout for the rear brace framed in wood, making it easier to remove if you want to.

20. Dec 20, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    Ihatetacomas

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Elko NV
    Vehicle:
    '12 White LB TRD Sport
    Reading now...
    I don't have my truck so I cant check now but i'm curious, both seats fold down in the back right? So I could build a box that stays totally behind the seats correct? There isn't like a bar or anything separating the seats in the middle that id have to deal with? And could you send me your dimensions of the box?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014

Products Discussed in

To Top