1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Another CB radio problem...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by scoutpilot, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Dec 19, 2014 at 8:24 AM
    scoutpilot

scoutpilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD DCLB
    OME 886x with OME shocks, Dakar springs, LR UCAs, ARB bumper with Warn VR8000. Midland 75-822 cb with 3' firestik. Cooper AT3 265/75/16 on stock steelies, rear diff breather mod.
    For the CB radio experts out there, wondered if you know what's going on here. I've got a Cobra 29 WXST, connected to a 3' Firestick, mounted to my bed rail and grounded to the truck frame. The radio receives loud and clear, but when I transmit, the receiving radio makes a loud feedback-squawking sound. It's done this for a couple years and usually I'm just listening so I don't worry about it, but with some upcoming trips I'd like it to be able to transmit. Sent it to a pro shop, who couldn't find anything wrong with it. Swapped another radio into my truck with the same exact antenna setup, and it worked great. I've checked SWR many times, and always have good ratios. When I turn soundtracker on and off, the sound changes but doesn't go away. All other adjustments (gain, etc.) make no difference whatsoever. Any ideas?

2. Dec 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    LUSETACO

LUSETACO Here for the Taco Pron

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    South Central Pee A
    Vehicle:
    2005 PIMP MOBILE
    Yes
    What kind of mic are you using? Maybe try a different mic. So even when RF turned back it still squeals? Also make sure it not just acoustic interference. Get the mic far away from the radio and try transmitting. If not those it may be a ground issue.

3. Dec 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
    XPOTRPR

XPOTRPR CNC Programmer/Machinist

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [2009 Supercharged Adventuretruck] & [1986 22r Minitruck]
    > BUILD LINKS >
    this pretty much sums it up. My first thought would be the RF as well.. but if you say there's no difference.. then :notsure:

4. Dec 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    scoutpilot

scoutpilot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dallas
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD DCLB
    OME 886x with OME shocks, Dakar springs, LR UCAs, ARB bumper with Warn VR8000. Midland 75-822 cb with 3' firestik. Cooper AT3 265/75/16 on stock steelies, rear diff breather mod.
    Tried two different mics, same problem. No change with rf adjustments. I was hoping it was just an acoustic feedback issue, but folks in other separate vehicles have given me sound checks that confirmed the sound was still there. I thought maybe a grounding issue too, except when I put a buddy's cobra 29 in my system, it worked great. Seems like it's gotta be internal to the radio somehow.

5. Dec 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    If swapping out the radio fixes the problem ... :notsure:

6. Dec 28, 2014 at 11:05 AM
    caddy nut

caddy nut Member

Member:
    castlewood va
    Vehicle:
    11 double cab 4x4
    its your radio I have 2 of the same radios 1 does great the other 1 feedsback

7. Dec 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM
    addicted7369

addicted7369 She Thinks My Tacoma is Sexy

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Middlesex County, N.J.
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma Sport DCSB 4X4
    Toytek 3" ultimate lift Billstein 1500 coilovers, and Light Racing UCA's with AAL in the rear, Mickey Thompson classic lock III rims with color matched powder coated color rings,with 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires led tail lights , T-Rex Billet grill, HID reverse lights, FLYZEYE V2W led lights, throttle body spacer, and K&N air filter, Kenwood head unit, Rockford Fosgate punch 6 1/2" speakers, 6x9 Rockford Fosgate punch speakers,1 inch Rockford Fosgate prime tweeters, 5%tint all around, CBI rock sliders, Cobra 19 CB with 3' firestik antenna, 6 1/2" lightforce 170's behind grill, redline elite hood struts, retro fit HID projector head light with halos and demon eyes, weather tech floor liners, led interior lights, truxzedo low profile bed cover, rear diff relocation mod, anytime fog light mod.
    Sounds like mic issues to me, i had that problem with my first cb

8. Jan 3, 2015 at 9:50 PM
    Purpleman

Purpleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Anaheim
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner
    Sounds like its time to upgrade that radio.

Products Discussed in

To Top