1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Audison Bit One?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Doc Jr 8156, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Dec 29, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    Doc Jr 8156

Doc Jr 8156 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB Pyrite Mica 4X4 TRD Sport
    King 2.5 Shocks w/ resi front and rears Total Chaos UCA Icon AALeafs SCS SR8 Wheels BF Goodrich TA KO2 tires All Pro Apex Sliders K&N Air Filter TRD Seatbelt Straps TRD Hubs DeZee Bed mat Extang Trifecta Viper 5904 Alarm Antenna X Ultra Gauge AFE Stage 2 Intake TRD Exhaust OEM Roof Rack HID Headlights and Fogs Weather tech laser mats Alpine CDE 149BT Headunit HAT Clarus 6.5 components front and JL Audio C2 650x for rear 2 Alpine SWP T-10 shallow 10-inch subwoofers Alpine PDX V9 main amp, Alpine PDX M-6 mono sub amp Dual 10 inch sub box Pop-Lock Anytime fog mod Differential breather mod KB Vodoo Bed Brackets KB Vodoo Tailgate protector Midland Portable CB Firestick CB Antenna Osram Headlight Bulbs and Rallyelights harness
    Hello,
    I am contemplating on adding a signal processor to my system and setting my sight on the Audison. I wonder how to integrate it to my system and what improvement to expect.

My present system:
    Alpine CDE 149BT HU with time alignment, x-over and equalization
    JL Audio C5 separates up front
    JL Audio C2 650x for rears
    Alpine power pack
    Alpine SWR T10 shallow sub
    Alpine PDX M6 for amp
    Audiocontrol epicenter
    Dynamat all doors and rear cab panel

Godspeed.

2. Dec 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    My question is why
    There honestly is no point with what you have already and with the items you have

3. Dec 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    If you ran high end mid amps, Ran it all active, then sure
    If your wanting to spend money just to spend the money to say you have it, Then do it

4. Dec 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM
    taco 2011

taco 2011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5
    Westin Bull guard,predator nerf bars, Window Tint Legal limit, Weather tech Floor mats, Weather tech smoke visors, Wet Okole seat covers, OEM Roof Racks, Reverse Camera, Pace Edwards Full Metal Jack Rabbit Cover,Dyno power locking tailgate Trd alloy wheels, Dunlop at tires JL Stealthbox, JL custom fit molding kit, Directed Audio 500 watt amp, LCI adaptor. More mods to come.
  5. Dec 29, 2014 at 11:49 AM
    Doc Jr 8156

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Vehicle:
    King 2.5 Shocks w/ resi front and rears Total Chaos UCA Icon AALeafs SCS SR8 Wheels BF Goodrich TA KO2 tires All Pro Apex Sliders K&N Air Filter TRD Seatbelt Straps TRD Hubs DeZee Bed mat Extang Trifecta Viper 5904 Alarm Antenna X Ultra Gauge AFE Stage 2 Intake TRD Exhaust OEM Roof Rack HID Headlights and Fogs Weather tech laser mats Alpine CDE 149BT Headunit HAT Clarus 6.5 components front and JL Audio C2 650x for rear 2 Alpine SWP T-10 shallow 10-inch subwoofers Alpine PDX V9 main amp, Alpine PDX M-6 mono sub amp Dual 10 inch sub box Pop-Lock Anytime fog mod Differential breather mod KB Vodoo Bed Brackets KB Vodoo Tailgate protector Midland Portable CB Firestick CB Antenna Osram Headlight Bulbs and Rallyelights harness
    Manethon,
    Thanks, as always your advice makes sense. I'll save the money for other mods. Taco 2011, thanks too. Godspeed.

6. Dec 29, 2014 at 3:58 PM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    I wouldn't underestimate what an Audison Bit processor can do for your system. IMO the JL speakers would be the first thing I would change if I were putting more money into that system, but if you're happy with them, then no need to change.

The Audison Bit One has a lot more to offer in terms of processing capabilities than your Alpine head unit is currently bringing to the table. For instance, you could bi amplify your front stage using the Bit One which opens up a much more effective means for independent driver time alignment and EQ. This makes a night and day difference, especially when trying to correct the imaging in a truck like ours. The real question is, are you able to tune it to utilize its capabilities effectively? To effectively tune a Bit One to be the cornerstone of an audio system requires professional skills and tools. You'll need to tune your gain structure with an oscilloscope or some other device that has clipping detection. You'll need to equalize your system with a real time analyzer to get the most out of the 32 band EQ.

If it were me, I would rather have a $2500 system with a Bit processor than an $8000 system without it. I've heard both versions of this example, and even owned both versions of this example, and I can say with confidence that the Bit One is the cornerstone of any audio system that it is present in.

7. Dec 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    Alpine CDE 149BT
    -9 band equalizer
    -no bandpass filters, only high pass on front and rear channels(20-200hz)
    -3 sets(pairs) of 4V preouts

audison bit one
    -31 band equalizer
    -Full / Hi-Pass / Low Pass / Band Pass crossovers with 70 steps from 10hz to 20khz
    -4 sets of 4v preouts

With all the basics laid out, the audison will have better resolution and flexibility than the alpine in terms of time alignment, eq, and control of your active crossovers. you could also eliminate your audiocontrol epicenter with the audison in place. Ideally you would want to eliminate, or not hook up your rear speakers to maximize your system and to keep things simple for tuning.

if you are looking to go the "next level", then I would consider going this route. upon first glance, I thought well, the audison will have lower hpf for the bandpass, but your alpine does not have a bandpass, so there's plus right there.

in the end, its your money/hobby. is there going to be a noticable improvement with the audison? potentially, if you can learn how to tune it properly. if you are content with what you have, stay with it.

manethon - what are examples of high end mid amps? I believe if the OP wouldn't be spending money just to spend it, if he learns to tune his equipment. there is an advantage to the audison over the alpine.

8. Dec 29, 2014 at 10:36 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    6Spd, there is really no point to discuss my opinion on this matter in this post.

I will say my view is based on:
    His listed gear
    His prior posts,
    Also Chatting with the op Via pm.

All in all, Bit one is there for those that Need it or at that point in their hobby, career or lvl/ experience where they can benefit from having such tools at their disposal.
    I have seen many and i mean many guys go active with processors that get lost and takes them 100s of hours to get it figured out and set up right. Lets just leave it at that.

AT the cost of a bit 10, id WAYYY rather he change his mid amp, mids and possible settle for a bit 10. It should offer him just enough feature to get what he wants done exactly so. Anything more gets lost in translation ;)

9. Dec 30, 2014 at 7:49 AM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    OP, if you are looking for improvement in your sound system, here is what I would recommend with little changes to your existing equipment, and replacement items

-move your tweeters to your sail panels to broaden the stage
    -get a 5 or 6 channel amp to power everything(replacing your existing amps. you will gain more space with this, but may have to upgrade your wiring)
    -take your rear door speakers out of the equation(you can bridge channels 1/2 and 3/4 for the fronts)

seems like manethon has made your mind for you, but if you still think you have a need for more customization, look into a dsp unit(the above recommendations set you up for a logical step up to full active. with full active, you can eliminate the crossovers in your current component setup). audison is not the only manufacturer that makes a dsp. mind you, going full active is a deep black hole, so do a ton of reading before making the leap.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/ is a good place to start.

10. Dec 30, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    Doc Jr 8156

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Vehicle:
    Gentlemen,
    Thanks for the insights. I am reading a lot about sound processors and will consider in the future. Audison, Alpine PXA, Helix Pro, so manyDSPs, so little time. Godspeed.

11. Dec 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    Oh geez. I didn't notice that you said you're running an Alpine power pack. Replace that with a real amplifier immediately if you have some money in the budget for your stereo. That is the weakest link, by far, in your current setup.

And to aid in your research, I would completely remove Alpine from your list of potential audio processor units. I haven't heard of helix. With your current setup, the Bit Ten might make more sense for you than the bit one. It's also much more budget friendly. You don't need 8 channels of DSP. You can still bi-amplify your front stage with the Bit Ten and bypass it for the rear speakers if you end up going this route.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  12. Dec 30, 2014 at 2:56 PM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    I'm with you on that shane.

13. Dec 30, 2014 at 11:23 PM
    Doc Jr 8156

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Shane and Manethon. I will get an Alpine PDX V9 in the near future. Godspeed.

14. Dec 30, 2014 at 11:57 PM
    shaneckc

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    No need to go quite that route. I condone the idea of having a completely separate amplifier for your full range stages and your sub woofers. I would keep your PDX M6 and add a 4 channel amplifier for your fronts / rears (preferably only the fronts). I'd shop around for a class AB amplifier, as opposed to the Class D amplifiers like the PDX series. You'll find them more affordable in most cases, and the good ones (Hertz, Audison, and other specialty brands) will sound better than the class D amplifiers. The trade off is that they have a slightly larger footprint, but you've got some real estate to play around with since you have a double cab.

15. Dec 31, 2014 at 8:08 AM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    I agree with shane about having real amps behind your drivers, as noted in my previous post. once you have loud(and then some), only then should you look into dsp. well, maybe not loud, but once you have real, external power behind your drivers, then yes. that alpine power pack is a halfway point from a head unit to an amplifier in terms of power

16. Dec 31, 2014 at 8:26 AM
    Doc Jr 8156

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Vehicle:
    Gentlemen, thank you very much. I'll hold on getting a dsp for now. Aside from Audison and Hertz, is there any class AB amp brand I can research on, preferably one I can source locally? Godspeed.

17. Dec 31, 2014 at 8:50 AM
    manethon

manethon TTAS

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Unknow
    Many
    I know you said you'd like to source something locally, is there any specific or particular reason for this ? The MS 90.4 is one of the best under 1000$ SQ mid amps on the market, period. I can upload prob a whole stack load of SQ comp car pictures with them in use.

If i may :
    1512366_563825753747786_6017305914628626_e47c7fe7e8a6b1fa9a3fbf0808066b8da0b97d63.jpg
    10523345_509684992495196_249643629914444_5618cac981466d2f2017edb30f2298994ff2b184.jpg
    10506676_10152574449477272_3902985774476_85af6b23d4f3a0d750b59711acec68ee495aa927.jpg

The last picture is a world class SQ comp car ran by eddie dejesus- top IASCA Champion here in the USA. I am doing my hardest to get a lot of this product warehoused in the usa but its tough on capital :(

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  18. Dec 31, 2014 at 9:11 AM
    6spd

6spd Well-Known Member

Member:
    san diego
    Vehicle:
    2023 4x4
    here are some notable amp manufacturers. while there are differences in class ab vs class d amps, dont get hard up on one or the other. they both do the same thing. class d is just more efficient. maybe if you are trying to squeeze out every ounce of performance, and your vehicle is setup for that, then maybe you have an argument for class ab, but for your sake, buy what you think suits your needs(which will probably the most value packed at a certain pricepoint). without further ado, here are some mainstream(i.e. safe bet) manufacturers

http://www.sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/amplifiers.html
    http://www.arcaudio.com/c/amplifiers
    http://soundstream.com/store/car-audio/amplifiers.html
    http://precisionpower.com/store/products/amplifiers.html
    http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-amplifiers

some reading regarding different classes of amps. take what you will from it.
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion/168039-class-b-vs-class-d.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/technical-advanced-car-audio-discussion/94579-amp-choice.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-blind-tests-amplifiers-time-hear-myself.html

19. Dec 31, 2014 at 9:27 AM
    Doc Jr 8156

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Vehicle:
    Once again gentlemen, thanks. I've got a lot of reading to do. Godspeed.

Products Discussed in

To Top