1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Video Screen in Sunglass Holder

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rpparkster, May 1, 2009.

1. May 1, 2009 at 2:41 PM
    rpparkster

rpparkster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    Anyone done a mod like this? Let me clarify what I'm thinking about:
    On my ceiling console, I have Temp and Compass, Dome lights and a SUNGLASS CASE/HOLDER. I do use it for sunglasses, but I was thinking about modding it out a bit, maybe putting in my GPS (hard wired) or a small Video Screen. I could run wires down for power/aux inputs (I have a USA PA15), but just wanted to see if anyone has done this yet.

p.s. I did search, but came up with nothing.

2. May 1, 2009 at 2:42 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    are you talking about something like a drop down monitor?

3. May 1, 2009 at 2:45 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    TRD FJ Wheels, 285 GY DuraTrac's, Fox 2.5 C/O w/ Res, TC UCA's, Demello Sliders,AllPro 3" Leaf Pack, Walker Evans 2.0 Adj. RR, AllPro Front Bumper & IFS Skid, Timbren Bump Stops, Leather
    Yeah, but using the Sunglass HOlder to do it so it all looks stock. I guess it'd have to be small, but could definitely fit a GPS in there and not have to take it out or hide it everytime I park so it doesn't get stolen.

4. May 1, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    not sure if it would be deep enough to fit something like that.

5. May 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    It should be deep enough, but it might not be wide enough. Though that is a pretty clever spot to put somthing like a garmin nuvi, as long as it would get signal.

6. May 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Well before I go pull on mine and break it trying to remove it, where can I find a parts or assembly reference to see what I need to do to get in there? I think it'll fit my GPS and then I'll run wires through the headliner and down the sides of the windshield to hard wire the power. Maybe should hit the junkyard to see if I can find an extra in case I mess up...which I do often.
    Anyone else have any ideas/thoughts on this, its greatly appreciated.

7. May 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM
    Stillfly199

Stillfly199 ( . )( . )

Member:
    First Name:
    J.D.
    Bro Capital of the word
    Vehicle:
    2010 FJ Cruiser
    It can be done. I have seen it a couple of time on CRIBS when people show off their cars. I dont know anything else about it, but it looked just like what your explaining.

8. May 1, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Has your GPS got an external aeirial? My Garmin Nuvi has an aerial that is built in (on a hinge flap doodad on the back) - this needs to have a line of sight to the sky. This could be a problem. As for a screen, I don't think it's big enough.

9. May 1, 2009 at 5:00 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    Keep searching on here. Somebody has done this. I will see if I can find the link.

10. May 1, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
  11. May 1, 2009 at 5:17 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Kind of like that, but I just want to use the Sunglass Holder so it looks stock when its closed and the thieves don't know there is something in there. Close though.

12. May 1, 2009 at 7:28 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    All these Garmin units support an external antenna (scroll down the products tab). I'd find one that fits in that space that also works with an external antenna. You might be able to fit it in there with little modification. It could even be slightly bigger than the door if the top will swing by the roof. Try making yourself a styrofoam template to see the max size you can fit up there without it hitting and if the angle will be right when it's down. Then run the antenna along the headboard and out the cab taillight.

13. May 1, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I just tried mine in there. Mine is 4 1/8" x 3" x 1". It fits length and width wise just fine (in fact there's plenty to spare). The 1" thickness is a problem though. I couldn't get the door to close (it's tapered near the hinge. It was close. Also, the viewing angle wouldn't be that great unless you put a wedge behind it. If you're willing to grind awaysome of the taper, it might work. The Nuvi 755T (4.8 x 3 x 0.8) or a Nuvi 885T (4.9 x 3.1 x 0.7) seems like it would be a nice fit. I would guess that even with a thinner one, you'd still have to cut some if you wedged it to get it to get a better viewing angle. You might also want to cut some of the lower lip of the tray to see the full display.

14. May 1, 2009 at 7:58 PM
    rpparkster

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Long Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    THanks guys. Monkey it sounds like you are ready to give this a try...haha. I was looking at it and I think something would need to be wedged in there: 1. so it'll fit right. 2. so the viewing angle is good. Definitely a good start.

15. May 1, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    Evil Monkey

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    Well, mine doesn't fit so probably not. Plus I use it when I'm travelling for work so I wouldn't want it permanently mounted. It's a good idea though.

16. May 2, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    The only thing I have seen on any boards that is mounted in the sunglass holder is a satalite radio.

Unless you plan to use only voice comands from your GPS, I would thing the sunglass holder for a GPS would be very inconvenient. The sunglass holder is too far back IMO.

Products Discussed in

To Top