Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Add USB Port to Dash

Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
dwgullett is on a distinguished road
dwgullett's Tacoma Gallery
Add USB Port to Dash

Someone showed me a replacement for this blank (see pic below). You pop out the factory black and the replacement has a USB holder on the back so any USB M-F cable will snap in then you pop the blank in and it has a slot in it to plug any USB device in. Any idea where I could find this?
Add USB Port to Dash-snag-6003.jpg
Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
I am putting in a Kenwood DDX 514 and I want to bring the USB, Audio and Video connection from the back of the Head unit to the cab so I can have more option. If I install the Kenwood KCA-iP300V iPod Video Direct Cable it will have all the ports used for only the Iphone and I loose the USB optin with this cable.

My next step is to find a way to bring the 3.5m connection next to it as well. This is a little easier because 3.5 are common.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
I found these on the FJ Cruiser site. Not quite what you're looking for. Perhaps you could drill a switchblank out and put it in there:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...ealed-usb.html

Here's one where he made what you're asking about (not purchased):
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...-chargers.html
Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off
Rocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shedRocketball is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
Rocketball's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't having something sticking out there be a potentail for getting hit and broken?

I installed a new head unit in my daughter's Grand Cherokee a few months ago, and it had a USB plug on the back. I routed the cable into the glove box. She can use it for any USB device, or with an adapter, can play her Ipod. It's out of sight and out of harms way.

Just my .02.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
On my taco i ran my Ipod cable down the center of the dash, then out through my cupholder
Old 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
car15 is on a distinguished road
car15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwgullett View Post
Someone showed me a replacement for this blank (see pic below). You pop out the factory black and the replacement has a USB holder on the back so any USB M-F cable will snap in then you pop the blank in and it has a slot in it to plug any USB device in. Any idea where I could find this?

Attachment 26003

Did you ever find the answer to your question? I am interested!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Yes but instead of buying the Kenwood system online and installing it myself I went to a local car stereo shop and come to find out its an item that Kenwood makes. So I got the Kenwood unit local and had them install the bracket in the dash. They had several in a drawer so I would assume if you went to a local car stereo dealer they could hook you up. See attached file SNAG-6463.jpg below
Attached Thumbnails
Add USB Port to Dash-snag-6463.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #9
I was happy with the final solution. I did the iphone stand myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Add USB Port to Dash-3-29-2009-070.jpg  
Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
m771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to allm771401 is a name known to all

m771401's Tacoma Gallery
I used a keystone wall plate and inserts. The wall plates and RCA, COAX, etc inserts can generally be found at Home Depot, Lowes, Frys, etc.

I used a scroll saw and sander to cut down the wall plate to a manageable size.

Below is what I initially had setup. Now it has an RJ45 jack(HAM Radio MIC), Headphone Jack(MP3), and powered USB port.

White USB Keystone insert
http://homeavcables.com/usb-a-wh.html
(I actually bought this one and painted it to match)

Black USB Keystone insert
http://homeavcables.com/72-125k.html

Black 3.5mm Stereo jack insert
http://homeavcables.com/72-310-bk.html

Unrelated to topic but I have the DF-Toy. one input is for the 3.5mm jack and the other input is for my HAM Radio.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #11
stoggy is on a distinguished road
stoggy's Tacoma Gallery
The 2011 venza, maybe other models, has a usb/aux port both on 1 of the switch panels. Just go to toyota.com, select Venza, and interior accessories.

Little late but maybe it will help someone next time.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Nightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shedNightstr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Felipe
Nightstr's Tacoma Gallery
Stoggy, Do you know how much they run for?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #13
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
I think they go around $80 new, I managed to get one used from another memember and have it installed in my Taco. Check my threads, I made one of how to install it and use it on aftermarket headunits

Edit:

Here it is
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...head-unit.html
Old 01-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #14
stoggy is on a distinguished road
stoggy's Tacoma Gallery
i found them online for about 50.

Part Number is: 86190-0C020

of course after i dug through for the part number I found this ... http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...head-unit.html

same one epa4wd posted. Maybe a wreck or junk yard. guess its just a matter of finding what models have them and then searching for them. I found the part number in a hay stack now I just need the needle. Searching for the part number is how i came up with your post epa...

Add usb connection to dash, Toyota Tacoma. Here bot!!!
Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
06TXED has a spectacular aura about06TXED has a spectacular aura about

Name: Tony
06TXED's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of this for my passenger side cig. lighter spot :
http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=COM%2D040
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #16
epa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shedepa4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eduardo
epa4wd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06TXED View Post
I was thinking of this for my passenger side cig. lighter spot :
http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetai...Code=COM%2D040
I had one of those before using the tundra usb/aux. It is very good I had it in the dash below one of the A/C vents. I sold it to someone here and I think he put it in the 12V socket below the A/C controls.

There is another one which has both stereo and usb input, but I don't have the link for it.