1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Backup camera for front of truck

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mrbillslo, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Jan 26, 2015 at 7:33 PM
    mrbillslo

mrbillslo [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    I'm going to install an Entune audio plus Non/nav radio and was thinking it might be cool to install a backup camera on the front of the truck using the port that is in the radio. I already have the mirror backup view, I would have to put some sort of on/off switch on it. Has anyone done this? any thought the install, and what would be a good camera to buy?

2. Feb 2, 2015 at 4:52 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    I'd like a front camera too. Anyway to tie it into the screen on the Entune radio?

3. Feb 2, 2015 at 5:29 AM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
  4. Jul 2, 2015 at 7:54 PM
    DougsGraphics

DougsGraphics Duck Hunter!

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2015 Pyrite Mica DCSB TRD OR
    3" Revtech Level, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar front bumper with WARN 9.5XP Winch and KC Pro-Sport LED Driving Lights, black Diamond Back HD tonneau cover, 4 cameras through Entunes display with capacity for two more, LED interior lights with map lights tied to dome, Bussman auxiliary fuse/relay box with 100 amp breaker/disconnect under hood.
    So, I'm looking to do this, but in a bit more over-the-top way. I've got the Entune Premium in my 2015. I found the mod to activate the backup camera at any time, so that will have to be step one. The second step is to connect in a 4:1 video switcher -- locating a good one is the hard part, but I think I finally found the one for me. This one has signal lines that will allow me to hook up a selector switch to pick the camera to display. I'll put the back-up camera on channel one, and three other cameras (front, under carriage looking forward, under carriage looking backwards) to the other three ports. I've found the RubiCams by Red Peak Offroad that look pretty robust and have IR LEDs and will interface to the switcher I've found. So, my question is has anyone actually done this yet? Does anyone know the exact connections in the back of the Entune HU to tie into? I would like to do this with minimal disruption of the factory wiring. I'm also concerned a bit with having cameras powered all the time, but that may just have to be the case if the power for them comes from the switcher, and the switcher will have to be on for the backup camera to work. Thoughts?

5. Jul 2, 2015 at 8:15 PM
    mutilatedjak

mutilatedjak n00b waffle

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    11 DC SB TRD Sport 6spd
    BP-51s, Dakar leafs, ARB bumper, 4xinnovations rear HC, 3x trail camera, pure android, lightforce 170s, Dick Cepek 255 85s extreme terrain.
    I've done this on the mirror screen in a 2011... Not quite the same as the entune heh. But if the entune just has a simple video feed into the Hu, seems like all you need to do is install the switch on that video line. My cameras are powered all of the time with no issues so far.

6. Jul 2, 2015 at 8:18 PM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    3" Revtech Level, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar front bumper with WARN 9.5XP Winch and KC Pro-Sport LED Driving Lights, black Diamond Back HD tonneau cover, 4 cameras through Entunes display with capacity for two more, LED interior lights with map lights tied to dome, Bussman auxiliary fuse/relay box with 100 amp breaker/disconnect under hood.
    Thanks. I figure it can't be that tough, but the more I know going in the better off I'll be when I actually dive in.

7. Jul 11, 2015 at 4:22 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    My 2013 has the backup camera in the mirror. Does the 2015 work through the head unit?

8. Jul 11, 2015 at 6:43 PM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    My 2015 with Entune Premium has it in the head unit. I do not have a powered mirror.

9. Jul 15, 2015 at 9:02 PM
    TACOtrd1106

TACOtrd1106 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black TRD 4x4
    My 2012 has it in the head unit

10. Jul 16, 2015 at 5:09 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Directing evil thoughts your way...

11. Jul 18, 2015 at 4:19 PM
    DougsGraphics

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Northern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    So does anyone know where the best place to tap into the video feed from the backup camera is in the 2015 with non-JBL Entune Premium? I know it obviously goes to the head unit, and it runs up the drivers side, under the door sill, but is there a connector somewhere that would be a convenient place to tap or is it best to go in behind the HU? I need to map out all my line routing and short of tearing things apart, am looking for some reconnaissance to guide me. I'm starting to procure some hardware, but it would be very helpful to know a bit more.

Products Discussed in

To Top