Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

full time backup camera?

Old 01-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #1
Accidental Offroader
fizik is on a distinguished road
fizik's Tacoma Gallery
full time backup camera?

Has anyone figured out how to turn the backup camera on without putting the truck in reverse? There are times when I want to see what's behind me but I don't want to throw it in reverse.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Bazinga
ckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeeton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
ckeeton's Tacoma Gallery
There is a mod for it somewhere on here.
The user put a flip switch above the rear-view camera that he can flip whenever.

I'll try to find it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ew-camera.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ra-switch.html
Old 01-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #3
Accidental Offroader
fizik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeeton View Post
There is a mod for it somewhere on here.
The user put a flip switch above the rear-view camera that he can flip whenever.

I'll try to find it.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ew-camera.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ra-switch.html
Awesome... Thanks!
Old 01-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #4
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
If it's in the mirror it will shut off every 5 minutes.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
tacomafurom is on a distinguished road
tacomafurom's Tacoma Gallery
All you need is to give it power from another source
Old 02-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #6
Someone is on a distinguished road
Someone's Tacoma Gallery
So here is an interesting thing I found out from one of the dealer when I was buying my Taco. When you are driving over 25mph and you change to reverse you actually activate rear camera while driving forward. I knew it works on 2014 and 2015 models. Has anyone else tried this?
Old 02-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #7
Timbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timothy
Timbo89's Tacoma Gallery
Let us know if it works and how the warranty will work from you throwing your truck into reverse and f'ing up the tranny. I really hope he didn't try that on anything on the lot
Old 02-14-2015, 11:55 PM   #8
Someone's Tacoma Gallery
Works fine. I did it on mine while driving 60mph. It's like switching to a neutral gear. Automatic transmission only. Found online that Tundra also has this function.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 AM   #9
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the ECU makes it idiot proof but why would you want do it anyway? Use your rear view mirror.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #10
Timbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimbo89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timothy
Timbo89's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm. Still skeptical. Older vehicles you will pretty much destroy things.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
Accidental Offroader
fizik's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, I'm gonna need to see some clear video of someone doing that.

My review mirror can't see the contents of my trailer, or the license plate of the pr!ck who is literally darn near kissing my bumper at 60mph (happened just last night, after 11pm over a 4 mile stretch), and when I'm haulin' big stuff in the bed, the rearview mirror is blocked.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:12 AM   #12
Someone's Tacoma Gallery
Just as fizik mentioned, check your trailer when hauling. I'll post a video hopefully tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:25 PM   #13
Someone's Tacoma Gallery
just as promised

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CAebDFW5Lk
Old 02-18-2015, 05:12 PM   #14
Accidental Offroader
fizik's Tacoma Gallery
OK, I'll give you credit for doing it AND videoing it. Not sure I'd want to have to take the truck out of gear on the highway to activate the backup camera, though.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #15
BETTER BEAVIS
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post
So here is an interesting thing I found out from one of the dealer when I was buying my Taco. When you are driving over 25mph and you change to reverse you actually activate rear camera while driving forward. I knew it works on 2014 and 2015 models. Has anyone else tried this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone View Post

I want to say thats a fail safe for keeping the stupids at bay a little longer with an added side of activating the camera. But that's just me.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #16
Someone's Tacoma Gallery
I have to agree that its a safety feature with a little extra bonus. Anyway my post was just informative. Would be nice if it was included in user manual as part of security feature.