Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Anyone swap their Metra for a Scosche?

Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #1
js312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
js312's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone swap their Metra for a Scosche?

I have a Metra dash kit for my double-DIN Kenwood HU right now. It's never been perfect. It's not totally flush with the rest of the dash and it bugs me but I hadn't cared enough to replace it because it's not that noticeable unless you look closely at it. I am using the metal factory brackets, so that could have something to do with it but when I tried the plastic ones that came with the kit they seemed worse.

Today, though, I hit a bump and the top popped out where the two clips hold it in. I snapped it back in place, but want to either improve it somehow or replace it with the Scosche kit.

I do have a Scosche kit that someone gave me, but it looks like the clock/airbag module mounts differently. The Metra kit holds them in with two screws but the Scosche kit looks like I was supposed to save something else from the OEM setup and I didn't. I've since given the whole thing away so I may be out of luck. Anyone know? Trying to avoid tearing the whole thing apart just to find out I'm missing a bracket.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for curiousity
Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
I have a schosche kit and never had issues, fits perfect. I've heard a lot of bad reviews about Metra.

As for the clock, If I remember correctly mine just snapped in. Its been a few years since I took it apart though.

Can you get a pic of the back of the Scosche kit?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
Yup.

Crappy Metra:

Scosche:

Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #5
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Damn I have a gap at the top too....... This means I have to fab up a new kit to hold my Scangauge.

Damnit
Old 01-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #6
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
The shitter is I like how metra puts the face of the HU more forward. I want that feature. I hate the little lip I have on my Scosche kit.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #7
js312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjs312 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
js312's Tacoma Gallery
Here's how it fits:

I had heard better things about this kit than the Scosche so that's why I went with it, but I'm really doubting the Scosche can be worse.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #8
js312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw9d View Post
Can you get a pic of the back of the Scosche kit?
Yes. When I get home I will take one.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:49 PM   #9
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I just installed a pioneer double din scoshe and the top has a gap and the whole thing can wiggle. Is this normal or did I do something wrong?
Old 01-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #10
js312's Tacoma Gallery
Back of the Scosche:

Maybe I'll just pull the kit out of the truck, take it inside, and see if I can get the stupid hazard/airbag module to mount to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone swap their Metra for a Scosche?-20150131_104557.jpg  
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
js312's Tacoma Gallery
So, it turns out it is actually the Metra kit that requires a bracket around the airbag/hazard module. You do not need that in the Scosche kit--it just clicks in. Top kit is the Metra. See the screw holes? The bracket is out of the way and that's what requires them. The Scosche kit does not, and the photo shows the airbag module installed in it. The Metra also has a 5th clip in the top center:

Scosche kit fits dramatically better:

There is a gap around the H/U that I didn't have with the Metra, but the fact that everything is flush everywhere else more than makes up for that. I'll try to figure out how to improve that a bit when it's not so cold! Also, color isn't a perfect match, but again the fit makes up for that.

EDIT: I think I'm missing a frame that would go around the headunit and it looks like the 2009+ Scosche kits are a lighter gray that matches the dash better. Maybe I'll just order one of the new ones now that I know it's better anyway.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
js312's Tacoma Gallery
Got the trim piece. It clips on the top but because I have the headunit mounted forward with the factory metal brackets it doesn't on the bottom. So, I used tiny slivers of 3M mounting tape to secure it to the headunit's outer trim so it doesn't rattle around.

I think I have the best of both worlds at this point: the better Scosche dash kit with the headunit still mounted forward like with the Metra.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM   #13
onedivinetaco has a spectacular aura aboutonedivinetaco has a spectacular aura about
onedivinetaco's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have single din Scosche? I'm curious as the size of the opening from the top of the single din to the bottom of the storage compartment. From the looks of pictures it seems if you were to cut out the middle piece you would end up with a larger hole/area than what the double din offers. If that makes any sense?
Old 02-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
js312's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by onedivinetaco View Post
Anyone have single din Scosche? I'm curious as the size of the opening from the top of the single din to the bottom of the storage compartment. From the looks of pictures it seems if you were to cut out the middle piece you would end up with a larger hole/area than what the double din offers. If that makes any sense?
All I can confirm is that there is room in the dash to support your theory.