1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P.O. Installed a remote start...how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by OTB, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Feb 23, 2015 at 3:30 PM
    OTB

OTB [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB PreRunner TRD Sport
    So, last week I bought a 2015 with 3,000 miles on it. Looks like the first thing the previous owner did was install a remote start...in North Carolina...

I will never use this thing and I'm not crazy about my truck being in a constant state of hot-wired ness. That said, wiring is the bane of my existence and I don't know dump about remote start systems. I just know it works. It's a python 1 way system.

This sensor is next to my rear view:
    4A6A00B1-28C8-4CB6-B5B7-FF5EC22F1875_zps_1f09382ca52f2afe4ac96dbff9328da6a7a7a03f.jpg

Where do I start with removing this thing? The wiring from the sensor goes into the headliner...I assume there's some Frankenstein-crap into the starter as well. Any direction would be appreciated :confused:

2. Feb 23, 2015 at 4:40 PM
    OTB

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Okay scratch this. I found some threads on how ridiculous these installs are. I DO need to move the antenna in the pic over about two inches to install my bird dawg industries mirror riser however. If i pull that off, do I run the risk of the adhesive pulling those black dots up?

3. Feb 23, 2015 at 4:52 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Poke around and find out what this thing might be worth used? Maybe 25-50% of retail?

Then take it to an installer of that product.

Get a price for a full removal, as in you can sell a complete unit.

Get a price for a partial removal, as in it's cut loose, capped off, hidden wiring abandoned, but no risk of shorts, etc.

Then decide which is for you.

DIY or pay a shop.

4. Feb 23, 2015 at 7:58 PM
    EricU

EricU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Englewood, CO
    we charge $85 to remove remote starts/alarms at my job (car stereo shop).
    they are easy, most wires are likely t tapped and you can just unplug the connectors, there is likely one wire thats spliced in half with a wire going truck side of the connection and another wire going key side. that wire will need to be reconnected and you're done.

should take 30 minutes start to finish.

but why not keep it? summer months, have the a/c blowing before ya get in the truck.

5. Feb 24, 2015 at 3:52 AM
    OTB

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Eric. Thats helpful. I am starting to think about just leaving it. I DO need to move that antenna over a couple inches tho. Do you know if I run any risk damaging the third visor frit by pulling the antenna from its current location?

6. Feb 24, 2015 at 7:45 AM
    EricU

EricU Well-Known Member

Member:
    Englewood, CO
    That much im not sure, i pulled a remote start last night and when i pulled the antenna i used a razor blade under the double sided foam tape and just yanked it, it left some foam on the windshield.

I would give a blow dryer(high or low setting) or heat gun (on low setting) and warm up the adhesive and see if you can get it to loosen up that way.

i do know removing window tint will pull that type of stuff up with it if its baked in the sun a long time.

7. Feb 24, 2015 at 1:24 PM
    gumbeyyy

gumbeyyy Well-Known Member

Member:
    it is just double sided tape so you can pull it off. nothing should be damaged. I would suggest keeping it. it comes in very handy. also the remote starter is a brand name so chances are likely the install is done good.

Products Discussed in

To Top