Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Swap factory stock with factory JBL system (maybe)

Old 02-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
RockinRivi is on a distinguished road
Name: David
RockinRivi's Tacoma Gallery
Swap factory stock with factory JBL system (maybe)

Hello, new member here, I too have lurked on this forum for many years & now I finally joined. I wish the circumstances were different but here it goes.

I need help/advise: owned my '05 DC since new, installed an aftermarket head unit with the aux port for my iPod (stored my stock unit) & never looked back. Now I'm much older & wanted to a minor upgrade of my sound system. A timely "for sale" post of a complete 2009 factory JBL system (minus wire harness) was posted by a member here:
(T Bones 09 Taco)

I was stoked....In my haste, I jumped on the sale & all went smooth. Member has a bitchin' truck (great job T Bones) & a great attitude, very helpful (as most members here probably are). The one thing we both questioned was whether or not the wiring harness on by 05 (non JBL) was the same as his 09. I rolled the dice...

UGH...Well my 05 harness is NOT the same. I sent Mr Marv a message for any advise & he responded promptly...bless him. He said I screwed up. He said to make this work I would need a factory harness OR use all the JBL speakers wired to an aftermarket amp/processor using my factory non JBL head unit. How do I do that?

I tried the search function again with no luck. It looks like I am the only idiot trying to upgrade from non JBL to the factory JBL system instead of going for the full blown aftermarket sound.

I am gonna try the "Toyota Only" junkyard for a harness, fingers crossed. Dealership said I need a VIN of the original vehicle in order for them to try & find the right harness or pigtails

Has anyone tried this, any experience or advise would be appreciated or has Mr Marv basically summed it up for me?

I do have an old school Punch 200ix. Could I buy a nicer head unit to run the factory JBL door speakers & tweeters? And use the 200ix for the factory 8" sub enclosure?

thx in advance
David
Old 02-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
bear263 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
bear263's Tacoma Gallery
You will need the factory harness or make your your own. Although this thread is for a 2012, it's basically the same premise of what you will have to do: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...r-non-jbl.html

My advise, get a 2 day sub from Toyota TIS and study the wiring diagram for both units. It will have the connectors you will need. You can source them from Toyota, or try other means.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #3
othater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of lightothater is a glorious beacon of light
othater's Tacoma Gallery
Here goes a conversion 99% of what you want. 2005 non JBL to a 2009+ JBL from Billyjoe.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...n-harness.html
Old 02-25-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
RockinRivi is on a distinguished road
Name: David
RockinRivi's Tacoma Gallery
Thx for your help fellows...but I will be aborting this mission. Thanks to Mr Marv, after talking to him I have decided to treat myself & upgrade to the real thing (quality components).

This complete factory JBL system I bought is For Sale again...any takers?