Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Need a new amp for my Subs

Old 03-24-2015, 06:17 AM   #1
Technologically Advanced Redneck
TSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tyler
TSmalls89's Tacoma Gallery
Need a new amp for my Subs

Pushing two Alpine Type R 10ts in a sealed box. Looking to get my hands on a beefy amp to run them. What would people recommend? Here are the specs for the subs:

Features and Specification

SPECIFICATIONS

Power Handling
CEA-2031 Power Rating: 600W
Power Range: 300 - 600 Watts
RMS Power Handling: 600W
Peak Power Handling: 1800W
Dimensions
Mounting Depth: 82 mm (3.25'')
Mounting Diameter: 231 mm (9.1'')
Displacement: 0.07 cu. ft (Front Mount)
Added Volume: 0.04 cu. ft. (Reverse Mount, Magnet Out)
General
Frequency Response: 28Hz - 200Hz

What are good brands for amps? I want these subs to slam.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #2
ike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enough
ike3000's Tacoma Gallery
I would go at least 1000W shared between them. Something like an Alpine PDX-M12 or JL HD1200/1. Both are compact and very capable of putting out good, clean sound.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:52 AM   #3
TSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to beholdTSmalls89 is a splendid one to behold

I am currently running a Kenwood 9106D, but it keeps shutting off. Brand new piece of equipment, Rated 1000x1 @ 20hm (what I am running at currently) and after about 10 minutes it shuts off. Not getting hot at all, ground is perfect, all wires are clean.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
First, are you SURE you have the subs wired correctly to yield a 2ohm load? Have you verified this with a digital multimeter?

Second, what are the enclosure specs? How big is the box internally?

Third, let's try a test. You said the amp will shut off about 10 minutes after starting it. Is this while it is turned up very loud? Try playing it at a lower volume and see if it still shuts off after 10 min.

My guess is you're clipping the hell out of the amp and or you're bottoming out the speakers.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #5
SHOKER
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
Name: John
manethon's Tacoma Gallery
does the Red protect light come on, and Reset once u turn the ignition on and off ?
Are you running at least a quality 4 gauge power and ground ? What is your voltage doing ?

italynstylion mentioned it could be from clipping your amp Which it very much can be. What confuses me is that you mentioned it doesnt get hot at all.If your running a load that will make the amp shut down, 9/10 amps will get rather hot. I think your amp is shutting off because of to much voltage drop and the amp doesnt like it, or there something wrong with its power supply
Old 03-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #6

Running 4 gauge through the truck, tested OHM with meter at speakers (properly wired and also tested them before getting to amp). Ran the subs at lowest power and still shut off. I did notice my remote wire isn't connected well at stereo so I plan to correct that this evening. Box ratings:
(Vb) - Air Volume
per Sub - cu. ft. - .85

Mounting Depth - 10" - 5 7/8"

Hole Openings - 2-10"

Cut Out D - 9 1/8 for 10"
Old 03-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #7

Bump, anyone else have any ideas? I am officially stumped
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
SHOKER
manethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant futuremanethon has a brilliant future
Amps power supply, or loose power/ground or a ground that's not making a proper connection. Measure the milliohms between the amp negative and the battery -post
Old 03-25-2015, 10:09 AM   #9
ike3000 will become famous soon enoughike3000 will become famous soon enough
ike3000's Tacoma Gallery
if your remote wire is losing +12V then the amp will shut off. does it consistently remain on for just 10 minutes or does the time vary? if it's pretty repeatable then it sounds like something is wrong with the amp internals. you may need to give a call to your shop or Kenwood.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:31 PM   #10

It's been very repeatable the past week. Sometimes even if I shut the truck off, turn it back on the amp will shut off after the first hit.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
SHOKER
you can also test your remote turn on wire at the amp side of things. Put a 12v meter there and watch it while it plays/ turns on etc. if that drops, or cuts out you know its ur remote wire
Old 03-25-2015, 01:10 PM   #12

I thought it was that so I replaced the entire wire last night. Ran a test for a few minutes and didn't see it flex at all (11.9v lowest)
Old 03-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
SHOKER
Well if everything is " correct " as you say, then its the amp.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #14
That one guy
Aw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shedAw9d is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aw9d's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan on buying an amp for the alpines their PDX line works great with the Type-R subs. I have the 600w Mono PDX for my Type-R 12 and it powers the shit out of it. My gain is all the way down on the amp and -4 on my HU's sub outputs, still hits really good, really low, and really clean.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #15
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Call the manufacturer and let them know what you've tried. It sounds like you've done the proper tests. Not sure what else it would be.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #16

Well did my final tests, amp is bad and I have decided to go a whole different route on the sound so I am returning the amp, selling the subs, and returning the box. Going to run a single 12 instead. Thanks for the help people.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSmalls89 View Post
Well did my final tests, amp is bad and I have decided to go a whole different route on the sound so I am returning the amp, selling the subs, and returning the box. Going to run a single 12 instead. Thanks for the help people.
Single 12 with good power behind it will be plenty. You likely won't have room for a ported box but it should still be enough sub for the cab of a Tacoma.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #18
SHOKER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
Single 12 with good power behind it will be plenty. You likely won't have room for a ported box but it should still be enough sub for the cab of a Tacoma.
With minor modifications there is a good 2.2 CF for ported 12 shhh