1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where to put cross-overs?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Armyballer, May 10, 2009.

1. May 10, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    Armyballer

Armyballer [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4TRD
    I'm working my install now and can't figure out where or how I should mount my crossovers? I've just finished up my rear door coaxels and I'm about to take down the front doors to install the componets. Will I find a factory cross-over in the front doors? I'm using the factory speaker wire for now. Stage II will be an Amp and sub but I'm not pre-wiring anthing right now. Suggestions?

2. May 10, 2009 at 1:45 PM
    Armyballer

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4TRD
    Ok, I got the door panel off and have discovered no factory cross-over. Also discovered the Tweet mag is bigger than the mag on the 6x9. My guess is I should install the components with no cross over and wait till I put in the amp/sub to run the cross overs at the amp yes? I shold risk damage to my tweets with out correct?

BTW, 05 DC
    Replaced HU with Pioneer 5100
    Image Dynamics 6.5 components in the front
    IM 6.5 coaxels int he rear.

BTW, the HU install kit ********* sends out for "free" is complete crap. The screw driver ratchet stripped out on the first speaker bolt and the crimpers/wire cutters are junk. There so cheap and flimsy they won’t strip wire or crimp worth a crap.

Stage II will be 10in Sub/Box from Mr Marv and Alpine PDX-5 from a local shop here in Hoover.

BWT #2: laying sound dampning on the rear door was a MFer. Hands are all cut-up, took about 2 hours to do the rear door complete. I sure hope it is worth it. Used about 20Sq ft on 1 door.

3. May 10, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    I am wondering the same thing. I want to put in some crosovers, but need to figure out where. I think putting them in the door is a bad idea so I might try the cargo compartment in the rear of the access cab

4. May 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM
    Armyballer

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4TRD

Yea, doors are a bad idea, I didn't realize just how much water gets inside the door till I took off the door cover. Its been raining all day here and now my work is on hold. I really need to apply the sound dampning before anything else. :(

5. May 10, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    Yes sir, I am still trying to figure out where to mount the cross overs

6. May 10, 2009 at 7:39 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    I put mine in the back, next to the amp on a temporary rack I made.
    Not sure of your vehicle(#doors?)..
    Downside was i'm technically running 1 extra set of wires to the back, but no biggie.
    The system sounds awesome, and I don't even have a sub installed yet.

Another potential spot is as far up under your feet as possible, below glovebox on passenger and below Fuse box on driver side. There is a little gap there that may fit your crossovers. That is where I placed my hd300 device which was about twice the size of the crossovers. You could have them with wires pointing towards the outside of the respective door and just take off kick panels run 'em through.

Also not sure if you're going to run new wire, or are going to use factory wire.
    The hardest part of installing the amp/speakers for me was getting the wire through the door grommet thingies.. holy cow, I just could not figure out a fast way to do it.

BTW,
    I just did the sound deading on all my doors(raamat/ensolite).
    I will soon be compiling a detailed writeup of my experience, (when I have time) but if you want a little preview before I've written the details I have a couple galleries available now :
    Front Left ( my first door, not done that well, got better on all other doors )
    Everything Else

7. May 10, 2009 at 10:51 PM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha A factory cross over in the door. Thats funny. Ha ha.
    I've heard that the closer to your speakers for crossovers, the better. None the less I'm gonna mount em next to the amp in back of the back seat.

8. May 10, 2009 at 11:54 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Cleanest and safest way is near your amp. I have my amp behind the rear seats along with the cross-overs. When you run the speaker wires through the door grommet, take the wire and fold it in half. Take the grommet off the door and the truck and work it through leading with a clothes hanger. Once fished through, cut the wires in half and you have now 2 sets of wires.

I mounted my first set of cross-overs in the doors, humidity was on them and they rattled.

9. May 11, 2009 at 12:02 AM
    Jimirich

Jimirich Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Dbl cab shorty O.R. pkg
    DTRL, Debadged, Donkey tethered in the bed that rips 142 db farts so I can piss off the neighbors and rattle the windows on my house when I'm parked in front.
    O.K. seriously.
    Army B your system is gonna rock when your done.
    I'm in the process of puttin mine in, too. I did the sound deadening as Acozzens did but I used Second Skin. I was gonna use Raamat but I got a good deal from Second skin. Being in Hawaii, shipping ate me a new b-hole.
    On the doors, I went a little overboard with the Damplifier pro and just might pull some pieces off to save weight on the doors. So far, on the doors, I have only put Damplifier on. I still have to fabricate the covers for the holes on the doors and I have Ensolite on the way to cover the inner skin. I found two materials that I am going to try for the hole covers on the inner skin one is perforated aluminum and the other is perforated plastic. I found them respectively at Ace Hardware and Ben Franklins. I'm gonna post pictures maybe like Acozzens did. Are you planning on putting in any sound deadener?
    I got another thread I started tonight with pics of the Luxury Liner Pro installed on the floorboards and elsewhere.
    Best of luck and please update to let us know how the install is going.

10. May 11, 2009 at 1:33 AM
    rossk35

rossk35 Do Work Son!

Member:
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Supercharged
    TRD S/C/TRD Intake/TRD Boost Gauge/DT Headers/OEM TL/ZKW retro/Pioneer DVD w/Ipod/Magnaflow/20% Tint/BHLM/JL 10" sub, JL VR components, JL 450/4 amp/Helwig Sway bar/Viper 791/ 18" limited 4runner rims
    When I did my friends extra cab I installed them in the picture below thats circled in red.
    CIMG0416000111_2f5213f5eb5c167812563fbbf6c1e21c01c44d7e.jpg

This is how I did my system
    CIMG0418_b7694597613334987d827538438ee909030bae4f.jpg

11. May 11, 2009 at 9:03 AM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

Use the factory wiring to pull your new wires through the door. Attach your new wires to the old harness, pull it back through. leave the factory harness all tidied up behind the kick panel. If you revert back to stock to sell, just pull the factory harness back through with the wires you put in for the aftermarket stuff.

12. May 11, 2009 at 9:06 AM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.

DO NOT run your components without the crossover period. You'll destroy your tweeters in no time.

The factory cross-over network is attached to the tweeter assembly. it's only a small network of caps and resistors.

13. May 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I would suggest getting some industrial grade velcro and putting them under the passenger seat. If you use the scratchy side on the carpet, they will not budge.

A good trick for getting wires through tight spots during installation is taking a 2-foot long piece of .25'' PVC and putting the wire in the pipe to either string it all the way through or the pipe or cram it in and pull it through. Using dish soap helps you get the pipe through almost anything and won't attract dust. The pliability of the .25'' makes it easy to bend and it's blunt enough that it won't scratch your stuff up.

14. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:49 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    [​IMG]

there's an empty spot in the door panel right there. out of sight out of mind, plus wire is expensive.

15. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM
    DanGer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    This is what I am trying to avoid. You have no idead how much water gets into our doors

16. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    GoBlueFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Thats on the correct side of the water barrier...no problem with that at all IMO.

17. Jun 1, 2009 at 6:57 PM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.
    the vapor barrier is there, it don't bother me none. :notsure:

18. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:25 PM
    mas32259

mas32259 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    NEPA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 TRD Sport
    TRD short throw shifter, Eibach 1.6" lift coils 5100's on all corners, Ipod interface, Painted engine cover, radiator cover, skid plate, speaker grills overhead console, and added carbon fiber and chrome interior trim (Too much cheap plastic) TRD cat back, LED 3rd brake light. 100 lbs of sound deadner. Infinity ref. 6 1/2 all around. OBX pedals and shifter. DTRL mod, Alt. turn signal mod, LED's in glove box and console, LED's under dash lip and back A/C vent,Weather Tech mats. Took off antenea for wind noise
    I know it has been a while since you posted the crossover but I wanted to ask if you put jumpers the factory tweeters or ran woofer and tweeter wires parallel?

19. Oct 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM
    tanktodd

tanktodd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    back on the right side of the bay, Ala
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner w/TRD Sport Pkg
    Limo tint in back w/ 20% on doors. Removed all badges. Stereo headunit, all new door speakers, 2 amps, and 10' sub...so far Black bullbar MotoMetals and 285/70/17 Duratracs. 3" OME springs in front and aal in back with tsb springs Black UWS tool box 5100's all around Plasti-dipped evo front end Fog light anytime mod OEM steps (for sale) HID fogs 55w 3000k HID heads 35 w 6000k "Cool white" dome & map lights
    I've got an amp and a crossover under both front seats...it's a tight fit but it does clear

Products Discussed in

To Top