1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sat Tuner for 09 TRD sport

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MarineBob, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mar 31, 2015 at 1:54 PM
    MarineBob

MarineBob [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF ROAD
    Nasta Step bars, stick on Tacoma letters on Tail gate
    I have decided I am keeping my 09 for a while so now its time for a SAT receiver. It seems I can get a Toyota XM receiver for a decent price but it is noted I will need the install kit (another 70-90 dollars). Somewhere I saw that 09 up TRD's had everything installed (wiring and antenna) except the SAT tuner. Can anybody verify what I really need as far as the 'factory' tuner install? Thanks Dealer told me even Toyota won't/ can't verify even with my VIN???

2. Apr 1, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/audio-video/28731-sirius-factory-radio-install-2009-tacoma-5.html

The pictures are gone but there's still a lot of very good information in that thread.

Your 09 is definitely wired for sat radio, from 09 until I think 11 (whenever they updated the look) there was a sat antenna preinstalled. I think the newer ones got rid of it as standard equipment. You should be able to just get the toyota receiver and plug it in and make it work, unless you have an aftermarket head unit. Also I'm not sure about the availability of the parts anymore, you might need to look on ebay.

Depending on the price of the sat receiver you found it might be cheaper to just buy a sat-ready headunit and sirius receiver to go with it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Apr 2, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    MarineBob

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF ROAD
    After some gnashing of teeth, I got Toyota customer service in Ca to tell me the p/n's I got for the tuner and install kit (about $260) will get me XM. So I will give it a shot. Seems like what I want: using the installed antenna and the factory dash set with the steering wheel controls. There are Toyota published work instructions with pics available on line.

4. Apr 23, 2015 at 5:32 AM
    MarineBob

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF ROAD
    I bought a Toyota Sat receiver with the install kit for about $260. I have a 2009 access cab with the antenna factory installed and the wiring.

All in all the installation was easy. Took me a couple of hours taking my time and doing a bit of cleaning as I went along. Probably biggest annoyance is taking out the rear jump seats. No big deal, just takes a few minutes. The instructions say you need to take out the middle storage compartment bracket but that is not necessary.

Everything plugs in and the only down side, if there is one: using the original 'radio' you don't get too much in the way of graphics but overall, pretty good choice.

For what its worth, the XM subscription adds $4-5 a month for some extra cost and I paid $15 activation fee. I guess that's life.

Products Discussed in

To Top