Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Best In-dash GPS Navigation Unit??

Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
ridin dirty
07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Red
07tacoark's Tacoma Gallery
Best In-dash GPS Navigation Unit??

Im lookin to get an in dash unit, but i have no idea what to look for. I have a Pioneer DEH-P3900MP right now. I also have a RF punch (old school) amp with a Kicker L5 in a ported box.

So I guess what im needin to know is, what are the best units as far as:

• Navigation - need to know where the hell im goin and how to get there Preferrably a nav that has all access points. I just dont know if one nav unit is better than the other with certain points programmed in
  • Quality - I want a GOOD one... not one that half-ass works
  • Sound - i want one with a good output for my speakers & im sure i will get an upgrade sooner or later. dont really know what to look for as far as the output #s if u catch what im sayin
  • Looks - Is a tilt screen better than a flat one? Detatchable face or not? Am I gonna have issues with buttons everywhere?
  • Easy to use - do most of these come with remotes that dont confuse u while u drive? i have to have a remote or id wreck. i change the stations/cd tracks like crazy.
I hope some of u can help me figure out what i need to know as far as what to look for when I go buy one. I am fixin to land a job that requires me to travel A LOT so I am gonna be needin one of these.

If you can give me info &/or pics on what you have, or what you recommend that would be awesome!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
I like the Kenwood's because they're using Garmin (best in the biz) technology and a hard drive (so you don't have to run a nav disc).
Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
ridin dirty
07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed07tacoark is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post
I like the Kenwood's because they're using Garmin (best in the biz) technology and a hard drive (so you don't have to run a nav disc).
i totally forgot about the whole hard drive thing. i just got thru lookin on crutchfield.com and there was a nice kenwood.

ever heard anything bad about the eclipse ones? i think they use tomtom.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
BSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shedBSPDX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BSPDX's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a recent thread on a 2nd gen...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...0-kenwood.html
Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
ridin dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
We have a Kenwood 5120 in the wife 4Runner... has the Garmin nav.. pretty sweet. The Garmin interface is super easy to use. But check out the upper end Kenwoods, specifically the 8120, you can load Topo maps so it can be used (somewhat) offroad.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=19328
dang! offroad use as well?! that sounds like a winner already!

Garmin does sound like the way to go & as motive recommended the kenwood for the hard drive so i dont have to use a map cd

do u have the shouse kit or somethin else? and do u possibly have a pic of yurs in yur truck by chance?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
ridin dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdopy3 View Post
Well this is the unit I have and, I would say I like it!
how is the gps nav? and which company did jvc go with as far as gps goes?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
EGtaco is on a distinguished road
EGtaco's Tacoma Gallery
I looked at the Eclipse before I got my Kenwood 8120. Go play with the Eclipse and I think you will decide against it. The GPS fuction just is not very user friendly IMO. From the NAV units I looked at Kenwood was the best but it is also one of the most expensive.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
4x4Taco will become famous soon enough4x4Taco will become famous soon enough

4x4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
100% get a Kenwood DNX series...the best out there.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #9
ridin dirty

im bumpin this due to gettin the new job to be able to afford one pretty soon. any newer models to check out?? or did anyone change their mind on whats better??
Old 06-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
There's only two mapping companies out there, Navteq and TeleAtlas.

Garmin uses Navteq, TomTom uses TeleAtlas. Not sure what all the other makers use, but it's one of the two.

I recently bought a Garmin nuvi (lil portable thing) due to reviews of Navteq maps being better than TeleAtlas. The reason I chose Garmin over other GPS makers that use TeleAtlas is because they have fast satellite acusition (not sitting around for 5 min waiting to lock on to satellite(s) and great routing/rerouting.

I don't think this helps you though as to which headunit to buy, sorry
Old 06-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
ridin dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittim View Post
There's only two mapping companies out there, Navteq and TeleAtlas.

Garmin uses Navteq, TomTom uses TeleAtlas. Not sure what all the other makers use, but it's one of the two.

I recently bought a Garmin nuvi (lil portable thing) due to reviews of Navteq maps being better than TeleAtlas. The reason I chose Garmin over other GPS makers that use TeleAtlas is because they have fast satellite acusition (not sitting around for 5 min waiting to lock on to satellite(s) and great routing/rerouting.

I don't think this helps you though as to which headunit to buy, sorry
no, it does. ill definetly stick with garmin/navteq. everyone has said amazing things about kenwood so im pretty sure thats what im goin for. just didnt know if since i posted if there were any newer units i should check out
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM   #12
JDrew is on a distinguished road

JDrew's Tacoma Gallery
If you want the best, Kenwood DNX9140 is where it's at. (Released last month.)

Pioneer's flagship AVIC-Z110BT coming in July doesn't even have all the features the 9140 has.

See loads of pics of mine here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...installed.html (Ignore the fact the the NAV pic is without street names, I took the pic purposely before they loaded up.)
Old 06-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #13
Liam1234 is on a distinguished road
Liam1234's Tacoma Gallery
pittim, ok ok you got me with that one..... i'm sitting on my sun porch at dusk and the gnats were around and the one right under your name is the one that got me. i hit it and it was still there, then thought holy$@# how the hell did that get under the screen then when i know i squashed the hell out of it and almost busted my screen, i looked up at your name and then laughed my ass off.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam1234 View Post
pittim, ok ok you got me with that one..... i'm sitting on my sun porch at dusk and the gnats were around and the one right under your name is the one that got me. i hit it and it was still there, then thought holy$@# how the hell did that get under the screen then when i know i squashed the hell out of it and almost busted my screen, i looked up at your name and then laughed my ass off.
It seems like more and more people are trying to kill a bug that hangs around my posts...dont know what they're talking about

Sadly I've gotten myself with it though haha!
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
redraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shedredraider is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
redraider's Tacoma Gallery
subscribing
Old 06-15-2009, 06:35 AM   #16
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I am happy with my new Eclipse AVN726E that I just got.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #17
ridin dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
I am happy with my new Eclipse AVN726E that I just got.
u got any pics installed? details...
Old 06-15-2009, 12:06 PM   #18
tacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud oftacoma08MZ has much to be proud of

Name: Levi
tacoma08MZ's Tacoma Gallery
i have the kenwood dnx5120, the low end of the models...but i def wouldnt call it low end. im completly happy with everything it does and for how much i payed for it you cant beat it imo. plus the volume knob is what sold me, id get annoyed having to hit a button 20 times to turn my volume down
Old 06-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #19
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07tacoark View Post
u got any pics installed? details...
Sig
Old 11-06-2009, 05:49 PM   #20
DaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura aboutDaveSmith has a spectacular aura about
Army: Navy / Army
Name: Dave
DaveSmith's Tacoma Gallery
I have three questions pertaining to the Garmin-Kenwood in dash GPS:

1. Has anyone actually gotten off-road topo maps to work with the Kenwood (Garmin)?
2. Can you switch back and forth between street maps and topo maps without a major upload or resetting of the head unit?
3. What is the cost of the topo map package?