Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

ipod hook up

Old 11-03-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
wheelieking396 is on a distinguished road
wheelieking396's Tacoma Gallery
Smile ipod hook up

I have a 06 prerunner with the stock radio and I was wondering if anybody hooked up a ipod yet to the oem radio? Is there a good kit that works well if so I would like to try it...THX
Old 11-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.usaspec.com/ipod_product_sheets/pa12-toy.pdf
Old 11-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
I had a local Audio shop put in a FM Modulator (the one with a switch). The IPOD connects to that. Sounds good. $75.00 installed
Old 11-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Land of Oz
rhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shedrhoppas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rhoppas's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW, wheelieking. The nice thing about the USA-Spec and other adapters is that you can control your Ipod from the radio controls. They also charge the Ipod.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I have an ipod2car unit PXDP
http://aaronlinsdau.com/gear/articles/ipod2car.html

Been working great for about 3 years - was originally in my Dodge Ram and now in my 2007 tacoma. This unit also hooks directly to your stock radio (with or without 6 disc cd changer), charges your ipod, and uses your stereo controls & steering wheel controls.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
thallium is on a distinguished road
thallium's Tacoma Gallery
Hi, I have a question maybe some of you can answer. I have the toyota JBL-6 cd changer with sirrius satellite radio hooked up. Can I attached this peripherial and still run my sirrius satellite radio?

Is the usa-spec hooked up to a different port than the sirrius satellite radio? any help would be appreciated
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
Canadian Taco
corywilson13 is on a distinguished road

corywilson13's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to corywilson13
I bought the grom ipod hookup, and it sounds fine, but the website was misleading, it said you can have FULL control of the ipod from the stereo controls. Yeah-right. The stereo wont even display which song is playing or which playlist you are in, it calls everything "No title" I e-mailed the company and gave them a piece of my mind, they apoligized, but that doesn't make the grom adapter work any better. And yes with the grom has an external jack to plug your sirius or cd changer in-line with the ipod cord.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #9
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thallium View Post
Hi, I have a question maybe some of you can answer. I have the toyota JBL-6 cd changer with sirrius satellite radio hooked up. Can I attached this peripherial and still run my sirrius satellite radio?

Is the usa-spec hooked up to a different port than the sirrius satellite radio? any help would be appreciated
USA spec does have a pass-through cable with it so if your sirrius runs through the external changer port it can still continue to do so. If you sirrius runs through a set of RCA jacks you can do that too with the usaspec. USA spec is Ipod only. Just to clarify as some people use the term ipod to mean any mp3 player, kind of like Kleenex instead of Facial tissue.

But as long as you are using an actuall apple ipod, then you would be hard pressed to do better than the usa spec pa-12toy. You can set 5 playlists titled Toyota 1-5 and it will automatically use them, or it will just make use of the first 5 alphabetically with the 6th setting being all songs on the Ipod. And as long as you have the text info on the ipod it will display it on the radio face and permit the use of your steering wheel controlls still.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #10
ricky is on a distinguished road

ricky's Tacoma Gallery
IPOD Hookup

I installed a VAIS Techology IPOD interface. It works great. I installed my IPOD in the center console and can control it from my steering wheel or radio. What a difference from the FM units that are on the market. Installation was effortless. Their website is http://www.vaistech.com

Ricky
Old 02-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #11
chizzums is on a distinguished road
chizzums's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody know if the GROM Audio Ipod adapter works in the regular cab? I have everything hooked up right as far as i know but when i push disc it will change over to my ipod but it will only play it for 2 secs and then will go back over to radio or CD. Its like the head unit is not recognizing that my IPOD is there. Any ideas of what is going on?
Old 02-24-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Canadian Taco
corywilson13 is on a distinguished road

corywilson13's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to corywilson13
it definatly should not mat ter if you have reg cab, access cab, or a spaceship capsule, if the grom is clipped in properly to that back of the stock headunit, and the ipod is connected, press the Disc button on the deck until you can tell its in CD changer mode by the ^ and v to change discs over two of the number buttons. Make sure its on disc one, then press play on your ipod and make sure the || (pause) symbol turns into a > for play. the turn up your speakers and let her rip.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM   #13
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought an 80GB Ipod classic so im gonna prob buy the PA TOY pretty soon. If anyone is interested in the DF TOY i have, PM me, it might be up for sale soon.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonKs View Post
I just bought an 80GB Ipod classic so im gonna prob buy the PA TOY pretty soon. If anyone is interested in the DF TOY i have, PM me, it might be up for sale soon.
Did you get an 80g nano classic? If Yes - where'd you buy one used?

Been thinking about a bigger one, but I didn't wanna buy the newer ones. I like to stay with the old style.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #15
08beachtoy is on a distinguished road

08beachtoy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 08beachtoy
Well I bought the 08 regular cab and let me tell ya the stock radio was a real diappointment I was surprised not even an aux jack and with the windows down at highway speeds it was impossible to hear it very well .Called Crutchfield "Awesome Company"and ordered a sony head unit with the aux output on the front they make em with usb and ipod cables also . The radio comes with factory wire plug ins and a dash install kit although I would recomend getting the nicer dash install kit from Schoche.com You dont have to cut your trucks harness and its easy to do did mine in a couple hours. Great instuctions come with the radio or go to tacotunes.com and follow along with the blonde....It is worth doing I am very happy with the radio now
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #16

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Did you get an 80g nano classic? If Yes - where'd you buy one used?

Been thinking about a bigger one, but I didn't wanna buy the newer ones. I like to stay with the old style.
I think its just called an Ipod Classic. Its this one:

http://www.americanmusical.com/item....m_medium=feed&

No I bought it new. Its awesome. I had a sandisk sansa POS for a long time and ever since I had it I wanted something else. The classic is increadible, construction, sound, capacity, etc. I have like 40 albums on it so far and I still have something like 75 GB free.

Why dont you like the newer ones?

Ted
Old 02-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #17
gdub is on a distinguished road
gdub's Tacoma Gallery
Go to http://www.tss-radio.com/toyota-siri...ge-p-4043.html

Works great
Attached Thumbnails
ipod hook up-p2240001_edited-1.jpg  
Old 02-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #18
The sirius interface package that "gdub" posted is exactly what I have hooked up to my JBL-6 cd changer. It's hooked directly to the back of the auxillary port of the head unit and is turned on by pressing the "AM" button on the radio. I took the dash apart yesterday and took a peek at the back of the radio and it looks like the aux port is being used. the only reason I'm pretty sure it is the toyota sirius interface package is because I had it installed by the toyota dealer and also it is activated by the "AM" button like this one.

So, just to clarify, I'm going to unhook the sirius out of the auxiliary port and plug in the USAspec PA12-Toy into the aux port. The USAspec pa12-toy i'm guessing has an additional female or male pass through that I'll just hook the sirius into? is this correct?

Sorry for the second post, I just want to be sure before I lay down some cash on the usa-spec.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #19
gdub is on a distinguished road
gdub's Tacoma Gallery
I have one extra AUX that I can plug my Ipod into or whatever. The only thing is it doesn't display on the screen You have to go to Sat 3 and push ch 6
Old 02-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #20
gdub, you have an extra aux port? the back of my radio does not have an extra one that I can see. Are you using an aux port off the sirius reciever or something? how did you hook yours up this method? Thanks.