LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Installed Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter

Old 09-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #181
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I used to have the metra adapter. It has ipod and 3.5mm connections. It is hard to find nowadays. I switched to the grom audio usb adapter. It has ipod/3.5mm AND a USB connection on it. Now I roll with a flash drive and don't have to worry about any charging and the radio controls work it, of course. It was about 120.00 for the adapter and the usb connection that runs from the box to wherever you put it.

Here's a link to it......

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tion-pics.html
Old 09-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #182
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Trachito's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
I used to have the metra adapter. It has ipod and 3.5mm connections. It is hard to find nowadays. I switched to the grom audio usb adapter. It has ipod/3.5mm AND a USB connection on it. Now I roll with a flash drive and don't have to worry about any charging and the radio controls work it, of course. It was about 120.00 for the adapter and the usb connection that runs from the box to wherever you put it.

Here's a link to it......

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...tion-pics.html
well, i followed your link, which had another link on it, which led me to find this:

http://indashpc.org/new/aux_adapters/grom-aux-toy.html

This is exactly what i need. a simple adapter to my factory stereo that will plug right into my regular mp3 player. reasonably priced and comes with everything i need. no need to buy additional RCA cables or anything. thank you so much.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #183
MSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MSUtacoboy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trachito View Post
well, i followed your link, which had another link on it, which led me to find this:

http://indashpc.org/new/aux_adapters/grom-aux-toy.html

This is exactly what i need. a simple adapter to my factory stereo that will plug right into my regular mp3 player. reasonably priced and comes with everything i need. no need to buy additional RCA cables or anything. thank you so much.
that's pretty much what the Metra is... but for 9.99+ shipping through amazon.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #184
Trachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrachito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUtacoboy View Post
that's pretty much what the Metra is... but for 9.99+ shipping through amazon.
from what i saw that was just for the iphone, which i don't have. i tried looking for a regular mp3 one but couldn't find it. i even emailed the maker and they said it was discontinued, which i wonder why. 10 bucks would have been sweet.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #185
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

the metra is ipod but no deck control + 3.5mm aux
Old 09-16-2010, 06:39 AM   #186

Marines:
oh.... great. screw it, as long as i have something that works well and is reliable.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #187
MSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMSUtacoboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
just installed Metra. it has two connections, only had to use 1. connects ipod and plays perfectly. doesn't let me go thru the whole ipod but you put it on what album and go from there. no text was showing up, but i didn't get to play with it, just install and back to football on tv. will give a better update in a few days. but for $15.99 shipped, can't beat that.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #188
Southern by the Grace of God
rolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant futurerolltide3705 has a brilliant future

Name: A.J.
rolltide3705's Tacoma Gallery
Would some of yall that have installed the TYIP-01 check out my thread and see what Im doin wrong? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post2187322
Old 09-19-2010, 04:39 AM   #189

Marines:
Quote:
just installed Metra. it has two connections, only had to use 1. connects ipod and plays perfectly. doesn't let me go thru the whole ipod but you put it on what album and go from there. no text was showing up, but i didn't get to play with it, just install and back to football on tv. will give a better update in a few days. but for $15.99 shipped, can't beat that.
What about the 3.5mm connection, is it an aux plug or a direct connection to your device?
Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #190
Quote:
What about the 3.5mm connection, is it an aux plug or a direct connection to your device?
what i have is a direct connection to the ipod.

(both plugs going out of the metra looks like an s-video plug, you know, the round with pins in it)
i've got to find something like this with a 3.5mm jack on the other end to run my phone
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 AM   #191

Marines:
Quote:
what i have is a direct connection to the ipod.

(both plugs going out of the metra looks like an s-video plug, you know, the round with pins in it)
i've got to find something like this with a 3.5mm jack on the other end to run my phone
ah, ok. so basically it comes with an ipod connector. when you find the 3.5mm jack update on here and lemme know how well it works. i'd expect it to be just plug and play but i don't know how the interface is wired to work considering that it's made to allow the HU to control the ipod.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #192
Quote:
ah, ok. so basically it comes with an ipod connector. when you find the 3.5mm jack update on here and lemme know how well it works. i'd expect it to be just plug and play but i don't know how the interface is wired to work considering that it's made to allow the HU to control the ipod.
will do, but it may be a while.
the radio thinks you have a cd changer plugged in. mine doesn't show text.
d1t1 is all songs, or what every you have the ipod on at the time you plug it in.

D2 - D9 are supposed to be playlist. i don't think this is right, but i've got to look more into it. as said before it does what i wanted. plays my ipod thru the stock radio and 1000x better than the fm mod.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #193
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Not sure which metra y'all have or how many diff versions of it there mighta been but when I had that, it had an 8 pin female s-video looking connection for the ipod like the cable in the pic above would plug into with the ipod flat connector on the other end. It also had a female 3.5mm hole on it where all you have to do was score male to male 3.5mm to attach aux devices. When switching to grom usb unit, I simply moved the ipod/3.5 cables over from metra to grom and added the usb connection to it. I have all 3 connections to the grom audio box.

This is not the one I had..........
http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=TYTO-01
Old 09-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #194
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Not sure which metra y'all have or how many diff versions of it there mighta been but when I had that, it had an 8 pin female s-video looking connection for the ipod like the cable in the pic above would plug into with the ipod flat connector on the other end. It also had a female 3.5mm hole on it where all you have to do was score male to male 3.5mm to attach aux devices. When switching to grom usb unit, I simply moved the ipod/3.5 cables over from metra to grom and added the usb connection to it. I have all 3 connections to the grom audio box.

This is not the one I had..........
http://www.installer.com/item/displa...php?it=TYTO-01
yeah mine doesn't have teh 3.5mm female. it's got another s-video looking plug.

gonna get a pic and post it soon.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #195
Canadian Member
Scooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedScooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Scooter's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so since this is an old post, can someone help me out by telling me if it has both the ipod connection and the 3.5mm jack support, or, either or, or just one?
thanks
My Metra has both the 3.5mm and iPod connectors. I paid $30+$10 S&H for it on ebay, but I think it's discontinued, and hard to find now.

I have an 08 with the JBL factory stero, and it works fine. My only problem is the iPod connector does not charge iPod Touch. Sonmone on here told me it is because of new firmware on the iPod Touch. I usually use a Sensa mp3 player, so the charging is not an issue. I plug the Sensa to a 12V to USB charger, and use the 3.5mm connector for the audio.

My daughter uses her iPod Touch every now and then. I just plug in the 3.5 mm jack for the audio, and charge it using the USB power adapter, the same way I plug in the Sensa. It's not as convenient as other setups, and there is no control from the stero, but for $40, it works way better than a FM transmitter.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #196
Common sense isn't very common!
CrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyCooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Port Dawgs
Name: Johnathan
CrazyCooter's Tacoma Gallery
Metra install

I just installed my metra interface today. Smooth installation, but when i took off the right side cap under the a/c vent there was a wire with a plug on the end that i dont know what its for (i didn't unplug it). Just wondering if anyone else ran into this while installing their metra ipod hook up?

Also does anyone know how to fix the lights inside the A/C panel. only one is out and i took apart the whole A/C panel...so just wondering if its a fuse or an actual bulb some where.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #197

Marines:
i got this one for $65 plus shipping. it was just a simple one for a regular mp3 player, not an ipod, although it does plug into an ipods earphone jack. it plugged right into the back of my OEM 6 disk changer stereo (not JBL). CD player works fine, radio, etc and it plugs directly into the earphone jack of any mp3 player. the wire harness had 2 plugs meant for the head unit but i only needed to plug in one since i dont have XM radio or a navigation system. very simple and easy to install and works perfectly. i tucked the Grom box to the left of the head unit and ran the 3.5mm cable under the shifter console (6spd manual)/cup holders/and into the center console. that way the cable is out of site. i'll see about uploading a pic or 2 later.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...nterface_.html
Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM   #198
surfer4191 is on a distinguished road
surfer4191's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoppas View Post
If you truely have an Ipod you should at least evaluate the USA-SPEC device. It costs quite a bit more but it has alot more functionality like being able to prev/next tracks using the radio controls. I have no personal experience with it but it sounds like you can leave the Ipod out of sight and control it from the radio. This is not possible using the Metra. They are simple to install though. Definitely worth doing one way or the other. The sound quality is so much better than an FM mod device.
$150 from crutchfield is kinda steep if you ask me but im still going to order one tomorrow. thanks for the post!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #199
king22spade is on a distinguished road
Army: king22spade@yahoo.com
Name: king22spade@yahoo.com
king22spade's Tacoma Gallery
is there one that works for the facyory jbl 6 disc i have no luck finding one
Old 08-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #200
goyette is on a distinguished road
goyette's Tacoma Gallery
The Grom Toy2-USB works with the factory jbl 6 disc and sounds great.