1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Installed Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by rhoppas, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Nov 3, 2007 at 5:46 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    No more FM transmitter! :bananadance:

I use a Sansa MP3 player so Ipod compatibility was not that important to me. I bought the Metra AIPTY02ID adapter from Circuit City for $49. It has an Ipod connection and a 3.5mm connection for an mp3 player, or any other device for that matter. I ran both the Ipod and 3.5mm cable to the glove box. The sound quality is great. Thanks to the sticky tutorial by 007Tacoma it was an extremely simple mod. It took less than 30 minutes. The next time my sons friend comes over I will hijack his Ipod so I can test it out.

2. Nov 3, 2007 at 8:46 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    I have the same MP3 hooked up through a DF-TOY. When you use your MP3 do you have the same low volume problems as me? I crank it and its still not close to loud enough. Im buying an amp in the near future. Hopefully it'll solve the problem. I think those MP3's have low volume in general.

Ted

3. Nov 3, 2007 at 9:34 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    With the mp3 player connected, I turn up the volume on the mp3 player to near max. Then I typically have the radio on about 45 for a good strong playback sound. The volume is a little low but by following the above steps I have no problem getting it loud enough.

4. Nov 19, 2007 at 8:51 AM
    jtsimaras

jtsimaras Member

Member:
    I want the metra adapter but we cannot buy it up here in canada.

5. Nov 19, 2007 at 1:00 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    You can't mail order it from circuitcity.com? Bummer!

6. Nov 19, 2007 at 1:04 PM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:
    Does this metra adapter hook up to the factory stereo head unit, or is it for after-market?

7. Nov 19, 2007 at 1:10 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Hooks up to factory unit.

8. Nov 19, 2007 at 1:13 PM
    argm31i

Member:
    Awesome...I've been wanting to get a new head unit for so long so that I could put my Ipod in there, but I guess now that I don't have to.

9. Nov 19, 2007 at 1:20 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    If you truely have an Ipod you should at least evaluate the USA-SPEC device. It costs quite a bit more but it has alot more functionality like being able to prev/next tracks using the radio controls. I have no personal experience with it but it sounds like you can leave the Ipod out of sight and control it from the radio. This is not possible using the Metra. They are simple to install though. Definitely worth doing one way or the other. The sound quality is so much better than an FM mod device.

10. Nov 19, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    jtsimaras

jtsimaras Member

Member:

ya they won't ship to canada.

Too Bad I didn't stop on the way home with our new truck--picked it up in Wenatchee town toyota and drove back to canada friday/saturday.

11. Nov 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM
    argm31i

Member:
    Will the Metra adapter charge your device?

12. Nov 19, 2007 at 3:13 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    I know it does not charge an mp3 player. I don't think it charges an Ipod but I am not 100% sure. Another advantage to the USA-Spec, at least for an Ipod.

13. Nov 21, 2007 at 2:39 PM
    argm31i

Member:
    I've installed the Metra Adapter...and I love it.

It does charge my Ipod. At least it says it does...

Anyway, I decided to go a different route with the cable...I brought it through the little "cubby hole" to the right of the steering wheel near my knee. I just drilled a hole in the back of the little piece that fits there, and it works just fine. The rest of the install, I just used the install guide on here for stereo's to find the right bolts, etc. Overall, very easy.

I'm going to upload a couple of pics in my gallery if you're interested in the spot I'm talking about for the cable.

14. Nov 21, 2007 at 4:49 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Congrats on getting it installed OK. Good to know that it charges an Ipod...

15. Nov 21, 2007 at 4:51 PM
    argm31i

Member:
    Thanks for telling me what I needed (or that it even existed...)!

16. Nov 23, 2007 at 1:33 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    I took advice from the board and installed the Metra MP3 player yesterday. It was succesful! I have a 2007 prerunner double cab which had the non-JBL radio with the 6-disc in dash changer. I took it out and found that it had a spare input which the metra fitted in, no need for disconnecting the other changer. So both work fine. To select the MP3 player I press DISC and it comes up as CD1 on the dash.

I'm telling you this as there have been a number of questions on this site about different stereos etc. The guys at Circuit City, Best Buy and a self-proclaimed expert at a local suppler (Chronic Car Audio in Phoenix) weren't of much help, and in fact the latter swore blind it couldn't be done. Loser.

17. Nov 23, 2007 at 1:52 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas [OP] Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Glad it worked out for you Peter. Yes, I had several places here in town try to tell me it was impossible to do. The one place that said it could be done wanted to sell me a different brand (Peripheral) that cost 2-3 times as much. That's why it is good to check this website first before doing any mod.

18. Nov 23, 2007 at 2:25 PM
    petersharp

petersharp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Do you need to ask?! It's up there ^
    Louisville, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ex DC LB Sport owner.
    Thanks, and it was partly due to your original post that I did it in the first place! Just for the record, the item I bought from Circuit City is not a Metra, it's an Axxess brand but with the same part number you gave. Same price as well - $49.99.

19. Nov 24, 2007 at 6:46 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    That's good that it works with a stereo with in dash changer - the Metra one that I got said that it might not. And yes, this is an extremely helpful place to find out about what others have done and where you can go wrong and right.

20. Nov 29, 2007 at 11:25 AM
    healthylaugh

healthylaugh Member

Member:
    NW Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2006 V6 SR-5 Access Cab TRD Off-Road Auto TowPkg Audio Config: 6 speaker non-JBL & steering controls
    Man, isn't that the truth! I've seen the Peripheral and it's pricey for what you get.

You almost always have to "follow the money." Most people will tell you anything (often not true) to sell their agenda.

Products Discussed in

To Top