1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo loosing memory - HELP

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by BlueNorthToyo, May 20, 2009.

1. May 20, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    BlueNorthToyo

BlueNorthToyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DBL Cab, TRD, SR5 & Tow Package, 3" Lift
    3" Revtek lift, Access Laredo Tonneau Cover (awaiting delivery), Debagged Tailgate, Pop and Lock Tail Gate Lock (awaiting delivery), Grom I-pod hardwire, Chrome Side Step Bars, Hood Deflector, Window Vents, 15" Stubby Antenna, GE NIghthawk Headlights, Fog Light Mod, Hose Clamp Tailgat
    So a couple of months ago I installed a new Sony HU in my taco. Here is a link to the exact unit http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/se...tId=1005532&navigationPath=100537n32150n32153

Here is my problem. This does not happen every time I start the truck but maybe 3-4 times a week. I set the stations that I want, turn off the stupid demo, and set the EQ to where I want it. After a few times starting the truck, the stereo goes right back to the setting it came out of the box with. I purchased the proper wiring harness adapter so that everything just plugs in to the factory harness and the wires from the stereo and the adapter harness are soldered and heatshrinked so I don't think I have a bad connection. I have checked the fuse that comes installed in the back of the stereo and that is fine too.

Is this a problem with the stereo or am I missing something. Anyone else have this problem with aftermarket stereos/Sony HU.

Thanks

2. May 20, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    either bad connection or bad stereo.

3. May 20, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    +1

4. May 20, 2009 at 3:06 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    should be the memory wire on your sony (probably a yellow wire..) it should be hooked to a constant power - make sure its a good connection

5. May 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    acozzens

acozzens Well-Known Member

Member:
    98056 , washington state
    Vehicle:
    06 4d 4wd trd sr5 silver
    Michelin ltx m/s WSU (cougs) License Plate Holder $1.99 Gate Theft Mod DIY HU install DIY SWI-JACK install DIY rear speaker & baffle DIY ipod audio/video interface DIY HD radio DIY Alpine pdx 5 DIY front components install DIY RedLine Tuning Gas hood lift ( very slick ) DIY slimcubby gb hid head/fog DIY extang trifold trifecta DIY dynolock tailgate lock
    I like this answer as it makes the most sense logically.

In fact, before i started messing with car audio, Car Toys did this to me on my last car... What a pain to reset everything each time.

Although the harness let's you plug in snug to the vehicle wiring, you could play with this setup at not much time cost. hard part would be testing, while not draining your battery down and to proving to yourself that the fix worked since yours is appearing every day or 2.

Double check everything 1 more time while you're at it.

6. May 20, 2009 at 5:50 PM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    If you can, you might want to try cleaning the contacts of your connectors as well. This being an intermittent problem, its usually caused by bad connections. Is your radio harness connected in with those 'twisty' connectors? They're bad mojo and should never be used in mobile applications. I've seen it done before. If they're crimp style, check them closely, particularly the constant 12V wire, or memory wire as it was referred to before. Pay attention to any wire strands that could be breaking on that connection. If I were you, I'd just cut and recrimp that wire, assuming cleaning the connectors doesn't solve the problem.

7. May 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM
    BlueNorthToyo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3" Revtek lift, Access Laredo Tonneau Cover (awaiting delivery), Debagged Tailgate, Pop and Lock Tail Gate Lock (awaiting delivery), Grom I-pod hardwire, Chrome Side Step Bars, Hood Deflector, Window Vents, 15" Stubby Antenna, GE NIghthawk Headlights, Fog Light Mod, Hose Clamp Tailgat
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to take the stereo out again tomorrow and have another look at it.

As for the 'connectors' the wires are soldered and heat shrinked so there shouldn't be a problem there unless its a bad joint.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow night.

8. May 20, 2009 at 6:21 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    check the wire mentioned above where it connects to the plastic harness plug too, good chance it could be loose there

9. May 21, 2009 at 1:55 PM
    4x4Taco

4x4Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4X4
    Yeah...sounds like the constant 12V is dropping too low on start. Wire it directoy to the batery with a fuse.

10. May 21, 2009 at 3:07 PM
    BlueNorthToyo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the advice but I hope I don't have to do that. I bought the wiring harness adapter so that it would play and play after the wires were connected.

I pulled the stereo out today and checked the fuse again, it was fine and just to ease my mind I cut, resoldered and heat shrinked the constant 12v, the ground, and the 12v on start wires. I also checked the connectors and everything looks normal, nothing loose.

If it happens again I'm gonna rip the thing out and get a replacement.

11. May 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM
    BlueNorthToyo

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I want to thank all that relied to this thread and offered advice. Last weekend I pulled the stereo out and cut and re-soldered the 12V constant, the 12V on ignition, and the ground wires. Knock wood, but since then I have not had the problem since, but its only been a few days. If it does happen again I know its the stereo and I'll have Sony replace it.

12. May 27, 2009 at 12:03 PM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    good to hear!

13. May 27, 2009 at 12:55 PM
    GoBlueFan

GoBlueFan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Bossier City, LA
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 PreRunner
    Step bars, billet grill with custom TOYOTA, MB Quart RSI 216 components, Hifonics ZXi 4410, RAAMmat deadened doors/back wall/roof covered with ensolite , 24" Magnaflow muffler, hand polished stock exhaust tip, tinted, OEM TRD Bilstiens all around with 1/4" spacers up front to level it out. Sport wheels added.
    probably had a cold solder joint on your yellow wire. Flux on your wires will help keep this from happening unless you just suck at soldering. :boink:

jk...glad you got it sorted out.

14. May 27, 2009 at 3:58 PM
    cjag

cjag Active Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD OFF Road 4x4
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2537226
    Glad you got it fixed. Can only be 3 things. Power,Ground or something internal in unit.
    Anyway happy you got it fixed.

Products Discussed in

To Top