1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Zune/MP3 interface

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by groundpounder, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Nov 7, 2007 at 7:18 PM
    groundpounder

groundpounder [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Prerunner
    Towing package, Alarm.
    Sup guys, I am new to the Forum. Just trying to find answers to interface Zune with my stock JBL 6 disk changer. I have seen some post but I think all I need/all I can do is the PIE to CD attachment. Would that work? Any ideas? Thank you.

gp

2. Nov 7, 2007 at 7:35 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    07 Double Cab V6 TRD Sport Tow
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
    Welcome to TW, groundpounder. For those with an Ipod I usually suggest the USA-Spec adapter. But for those of us without an Ipod I suggest the Metra adapter, part# AIPTY02ID. It is way cheaper, at $49, from Circuit City. They simply plug into a jack already on the back of your existing head unit. Using 007Tacoma's tutorial on this site it is very easy to remove the head unit. You can simply run a cable to your glove box from the Metra. It plugs into your headphone jack on the Zune and away you go. It took me less than 30 minutes to install.

3. Nov 7, 2007 at 7:52 PM
    groundpounder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Prerunner
    Towing package, Alarm.
    Thank you very much. I thought it would be multiple step process, but it turned out to be a pretty simple solution. Thank you again

gp

4. Nov 7, 2007 at 8:00 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Earnhardt Cannons, Terra Grapplers, Viper alarm, Hunter4x4 Bull Bar, 6" Pro Comp Off-Road lights, extra set of bed D-rings, Chrome exhaust tip, Metra Ipod/MP3 adapter, Garmin GPS, CarriageWorks grill, Maglite mounted to driver seat, 9" Stubbie Antenna, WeatherTech floor liners, Saddleman Neoprene seat covers, DeeZee bed mat
  5. Nov 8, 2007 at 8:23 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    If the Metra is cheaper and works fine with an ipod, why recommend USA-spec? Does it offer more functionality?

6. Nov 8, 2007 at 7:14 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Yes, I believe it has greater functionality, but it is WAY more expensive. I haven't had a chance to use the Metra with an Ipod yet. I am waiting for my sons friend to bring his over so I can test it out.

7. Nov 12, 2007 at 10:21 AM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    Is the head unit the same with the factory single CD setup?

8. Nov 12, 2007 at 10:42 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    I have no personal experience with the single CD head unit. However, I am fairly certain that it is the same with any 2nd generation Taco factory head unit.

By the way, I finally got my hands on an Ipod this weekend. The Metra works great with the Ipod, however you cannot control the Ipod from the radio controls. You must use the Ipod to switch songs, etc (what do you expect for $49). Interestingly the volume was much louder using the Ipod than it was using my mp3 player.

9. Nov 12, 2007 at 11:52 AM
    gsm

gsm Well-Known Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Regular Cab, 2.7L, Impulse Red Pearl
    DIY OEM Fog Lights on anytime, DIY OEM Cruise Control, Removed 2ndary Air Filter, Rear Speakers Mod, Traction Bar/Helper Spring Mod, Red Brake Drums and Rotors, Stainless Steel Exhaust Tip, Door Sill Protectors, Taco Bed Mat, Custom Front Mud Flaps (Mudguards), TRD Bucket Seats (pending)
    A quick look at the Circuit Cit
    y web site doesn't say much about it. But in Bold print at the bottom of the page stated:

Note: Installation may require disconnection of factory CD changer or satellite tuner in order to access your iPod.

Does your CD player still work normally? i.e. a separate location that you can plug this thing in or some type of Y-connector?

Thanks

10. Nov 14, 2007 at 11:16 AM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. You do not have to disconnect your CD player. It all works fine. The "Disk" button toggles between your CD player and your mp3 player.

11. Dec 26, 2007 at 10:01 PM
    Luc

Luc Member

Member:
    Newark, DE
    Vehicle:
    '08 Speedway Blue DC Off-Road
    Viper Remote Start, Extang Trifecta, Ebay Step Bars, Pop n Lock
    When I look up the Metra adapter, part# AIPTY02ID, on circuit city web site it says for Ipod. Is the connection on the bottom of the Ipod the same as the one on the bottom of the Zune? I just got a zune for Christmas and dont want to order the wrong thing.

Thanks,
    Luc

12. Dec 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    I am not familiar with the Zune but I doubt that the connections are the same as the Ipod. The Metra has 2 connections. One is specifically for the Ipod, the other one plugs into the headphone jack built into any device such as a Sansa mp3 player or, I suspect, your Zune.

13. Dec 27, 2007 at 5:04 PM
    groundpounder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Prerunner
    Towing package, Alarm.
    I dont think you will be able to hook up your zune the same as the ipod. You will have to use the 3.5 mm aux input to connect to your vehicle.

I just read in Popular Mechanics that Ford will have a small onboard computer to sync with Zune. I is a version of Windows called Windows Auto. It will cost $395 as an option. It says the technology will be available in less than 2 years. So, oh well for the Zune owners like us.

Ed

14. Dec 28, 2007 at 4:56 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Just installed the correct Metra for my wifes '03 Corolla. Pretty sure I'm plugged into the correct spot on the back of the Toyota factory Head unit.
    Can't get it to work.
    For those who have installed one does the power light come on with or without a player plugged in?
    We are using the 3.5mm plug for the Zune we have. Tried everything I could think of to get some sort of reaction fron the headunit but nothing.
    Could it be a defective Metra unit or something missing from my stereo?

15. Dec 28, 2007 at 10:45 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    What power light are you refering to? On the Tacoma I have a CD player built into the headunit. I have to press the Disk button to toggle between the CD player and the Metra adapter. Which model# of Metra did you use? I believe the older Toyotas require a different Metra adapter than the one specified in this thread.

16. Dec 29, 2007 at 7:21 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    I DO have the correct model Metra and it is not the one in this thread. On the Metra there is a red led with power printed next to it. The Corollas H/U has a built in CD player also and a plug in the back for an external changer. Hitting the CD button has done nothing. Would help if someone knows about the power light on the Metra.:)

17. Dec 29, 2007 at 2:13 PM
    groundpounder

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Toyota Prerunner
    Towing package, Alarm.
    It would probably help if you have pictures of the H/U, the set up connections and the Metra. As I understand the Metra should pull power from the H/U? How do u switch to use the CD Shuttle Changer?

18. Dec 29, 2007 at 3:53 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Don't have a changer, but from the owners manual info it should be able to be added. From what I've read you should just be able to toggle the one CD button and pull up either source. As for connections it is just a plug on the end of the metra that plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the HU.

19. Dec 29, 2007 at 8:24 PM
    rhoppas

rhoppas Land of Oz

Member:
    Topeka, KS
    Vehicle:
    I don't recall if my Metra unit had a red power light on it. If it did, I didn't pay any attention to whether it came on. I just put everything back together and it worked. I would think that if you have the correct unit for your vehicle, and the plug is the same and fully connected, you should have a power light on. Unfortunately, I suspect you have a dead unit...

20. Dec 30, 2007 at 6:20 AM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    My thoughts too. Going to pull everything apart and double check stuff before I take it back to CC.
    I never completely remove H/U firstime. Just reached behind and plugged Metra in the only hole in the back. Maybe I did something wrong but I doubt it. I've been putting sound systems in my cars since my first one in 1971.

Products Discussed in

To Top